8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Keeping the reel alive (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Keeping the reel alive
Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 03:17 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely we should applaud anyone organising a cinema showing of two 50's classics in 2014? OK it would be nice if they were shown on film but digital projection is now the norm and both films can only stimulate interest in cinematography and cinemas to the next generation. No way does it hurt our hobby.

--------------------
Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 03:39 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be my view too Paul,King Canute is a lesson for us all.!!!

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 05:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still holding by my take on it all expressed a couple of years ago that film collectors are the reel custodians of vintage films to be projected onto a screen large or small whereas you will increasingly see modern day commercial screens either playing a dvd, Blu-ray or storage method when screening older films. I've been in a few mainstream would be projection boxes and seen a disc machine rolling which for me is hopeless.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 06:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The digital age did have to come to cinema and I'm not against it, but I do think that this particular event had misleading advertising.

--------------------
Maurice

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 06:52 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier this year I attended an open day at a 120 year old cinema in east Wales. It had recently been taken over by a group of enthusiasts after it faced certain closure. The team kept using 35mm until they had no alternative but to go digital. On the day, the 35mm projector was set up and running in the foyer for all to see. Questions were answered, explaining the virtues of real film and the sadness that it had to end was obvious. In the auditorium itself we watched 'The Smallest Show On Earth' and such was the atmosphere generated it didn't really matter that it was a digital presentation. We even had the ice-cream lady with her tray at mid point.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 07:21 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Mal,
Ultimately projectors and projection boxes are only a means to an end for a cinema. There will still be a place for celluloid film projection in a few cinemas but the public will need to be educated and encouraged to support it in the same way as steam locomotives on heritage railways.

--------------------
Paul.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 07:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully there are a few hundred cinemas in the UK showing 35mm albeit 'home grown' with a few new shoots blossoming. [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 02, 2014 07:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should blame the projection booth!

Ever since they started using them the presence of the projector hasn't been a part of the cinema experience for most patrons, so why should they care what's going on behind the little window?

Of course we should be pleased it helped protect audiences from nitrate fires and kept the noise of the machine from intruding on the sound tracks....

-but I'll still blame the booth! (Why not?, it can't fight back!)

I think what we are seeing now could actually be an intermediate stage. There may come a day not too long from now when the screen will be entirely-self contained and cinema will be completely projector-less.

Come that day the difference between television and cinema will mostly be one of size.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 08:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True.

I've lost the plot with commercial cinema to the point now where we have a film opening aka Northern Soul which I want to see but the disc release is only 3 days later! Confused I am...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 02, 2014 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or when I go and see a commercial I saw on TV earlier the same day.

The difference will be measured in Watts also: if I ran my TV at the decibel level they run in movie theaters the cops would be pounding on my door!

--------------------

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 09:25 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In years to come people will be lamenting the loss of digital

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 02, 2014 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something new will always be coming out.

The pace of obsolescence will become so quick people won't get sentimental about a technology like we are.

"That's SO three weeks ago!"

--------------------

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know what it is but i just cant get away from believing that real film is the best ,its the experience putting the film onto the machine watching it on the screen and returning it to its box and then its place on the shelf ,the noise of the projector is all part of it too i know im not alone as theres others here that feel the same reel film it is for me and i wont except no substitute thats just my view .

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone here would disagree with Nigel.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 06:20 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to the question of whether the Lumière brothers can be solely credited as the inventors of film projection, and to the question of the provenance of Edison's work, let me add my thoughts:

I think Edison’s efforts were influenced more by the work of Charles Francis Jenkins and (especially) Thomas Armat than by the Lumières, whose work I nevertheless esteem highly.

It is interesting to note that Jenkins is credited with the first projection of a motion picture (in front of a private, invited audience) in June 1894. Some sources say that the Lumière brothers projected films publically for the first time on September 28, 1895, but it is known that Jenkins and Armat projected films publically at the Southern States Exposition, which opened in Atlanta on September 18th. The history books tell us, with tantalizing imprecision, that Jenkins and Armat ran their projector “in September 1895,” but if they were at the Exposition from day one, then they beat the Lumières to the punch by ten days.

Ten. Days.

That said, I think motion pictures and motion picture projection had several fathers, most working independently of one another but all very clever and industrious in their efforts. I'm sure we all salute them all, and honor their legacy.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 03, 2014 12:36 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, there has been also a projection in Germany (in Berlin at the Wintergarten). There is a Geraman film about that : Die Gebrüder Skladanowsky.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 03, 2014 01:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you folk take the time to check out "Projection :85 Years of the Projection Booth in Movies" on Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/76383856

I am not in it... but I can certainly still relate to some of the weirdness of what is shown.......still miss it [Frown]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2014 06:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nigel is correct, I think. That's why so many film directors and archivists are pressing for the continuing availability of film stock and equipment. That is why many TV shows, shot on video, then turn around and run the digital show through a program that makes it look more like film.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 03, 2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days we still go out to watch the odd movie, but the cinema experience that used to be "special" has well and truly gone....they don't even play any music in the cinemas anymore, so you just sit and look at a plain boring screen before it starts.

I see little point in going out to watch any "classic films" projected on video...seems wrong to me as they should be projected on film. Watching them on video...well I can do just that at home.

Graham.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC