8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 40)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 08, 2019 01:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

This is a small, hilly network of valleys where a lot of clay was dug out (-actually, a lot of those famous red rooves came from places like this: they made roofing tiles as well as bricks.). Given the small curves and nimble trains, you basically have tracks running in every direction all over the property!

-so it's a museum, and just a little bit a roller coaster! It looks kind of like the model train store was going out of business and some guy bought all their track!

They have such great toys there, too!

-

(I wish they'd open one near me.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2019 02:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its great there are enthusiast around that keep the interest alive. There used to be a miniature railway we used to take Steven and April to when they were small that was really popular during the school holidays they could ride on. I will have to find out if it is still going.

I did a bit of research about the jigger across the road and came up with those old advertising adds. All you see there has gone which is a shame. From the bumpa slide to the bumpa boats and the bumpa electric cars. In fact there was a lot of bumpy stuff then [Big Grin]
 -
 -
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 09, 2019 12:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice those pictures!

And from the UK Southern Bluebell Railway
 -

Its a little known fact that in the 70's I helped out with the filming on Super 8 film about this railway. Some of you in the UK may have it as a 200ft B&W silent. Turn the clock back someone!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 10, 2019 02:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of an "ET" weekend. After screening it an Saturday afternoon I thought it would be nice to a double screening of that evening. My son called round, I asked do you want to watch "ET" tonight...no...Yvonne got home would you like to see "ET" tonight...no.. [Frown]

Anyway as I had already threaded up the projector and platter for the second and final run before storing away the film, I would give it a miss that night and run it on Sunday...on my own I should add, so I did.. and really enjoyed it.

After all the work put into the 35mm side of things over the last few years, its nice to just sit back and let everything do its thing. I think it would be fare to say, that much of this stuff has little in the way of a long term future, but like all film formats, enjoy it while you can.

PS. I just realized that in only a few years time "ET" will be 40 years old.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 09:29 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! That's a nice and sharp print! And you have a nice setup!keep the film rolling!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 11, 2019 03:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, are these 35mm prints all your own and all that 35mm projection equipment?? You must have a mighty fine cinema in your home, or is your home in a cinema? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Outstanding! [Cool] [Cool]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 11, 2019 09:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All what you see and more was all heading to the landfill including film.

When digital came to be the norm at the cinemas, they could not get rid of the stuff quick enough. The sad part though, is most of it went to the dump. I was offered all kinds of film projection gear at that time, but had to turn it down through lack of space. The ideal would be to set this stuff up as a working exhibit somewhere, but so far there is little interest apart from a few of us in doing so.

Most of the films by now would have gone to landfill, what we managed to salvage is only the tip of the iceberg of films that were thrown out. [Frown]

PS...This is where film wins out [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/7iVcp1xipV4

[ March 11, 2019, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 12, 2019 05:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice pictures and story. Saved a mint Kineton myself a few years ago also tip bound, lucky to get it really. I understand one of out UK cinema chains took the precaution of putting all its film projection equipment into a massive warehouse after installing digital so at least one cared enough to see how things would pan out.

Enjoyed a day off work and spent the entire day sorting my home movies and checking a pile of Deranns. Its a first for me but so much fun I even blew a lamp in the projector. [Eek!]

Turned up not one but two prints of Dracula Prince of Darkness in Scope LPP. That never usually happens to me.
 -

Watched Horror of Dracula trailer 4 times.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2019 10:26 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the practicality of the platter system but it always appears to me to be a very Rube Goldberg kind of system.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 12, 2019 01:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William

The platter system is really brilliant, in fact without it we could have operated the projection room without it. Once you have completed a screening you can simply remove the center ring and can have the show back on screen in matter of minutes, there is no rewinding involved, and the feed to and from the projector is a constant. With five deck platters you can run film to other screens as well as the one its sitting next to, its a very versatile piece of projection equipment.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 13, 2019 02:34 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice sunset tonight [Cool]

8pm

Temp 24C or 75F
Precipitation 0%
Humidity 60%
Wind 7mph or 11km/h
[Wink] [Smile]
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 13, 2019 10:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great picture that.

Spent today prepping media for my new Blu-Ray project. The 2K scan is coming along of my Super 8 epics and the disc will be filled with other material I filmed over the years including the last Christmas Derann open day dear Derek was present at, my he was laughing a great deal in it nice to see. Also the final sale day at Derann bit of a sad watch but nice to see everyone meeting up and buying films plus quite a bit more besides.

Here is a frame grab from some 20+ year old footage I shot which has held up quite well. Nice to see so many familiar faces although quite a few are no longer with us [Frown]

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 19, 2019 04:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY 1979 STEREO EUMIG!
40 years old, excellent stereo sound and converted to a 2 blade shutter a good few years ago. Probably one of my oldest film friends along with my Eumig 807D.

-

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 07:08 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 926, the balance stripe head gave up a while ago. It came in a really massive box that I had trouble getting onto the bus home after buying it - in those days they had high steps and a dividing pole in the entrance to pull yourself on with if you had trouble with the step.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 20, 2019 09:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't NEED this!

-but I want to need this!

-

It popped up in an ad. for an audio supplier this morning. They sell a lot of equipment for bands and small recording studios and concert venues, and maybe even without realizing it, Super-8 based home cinemas. (-at least one that I know.)

I love music! I don't DO music! -nothing is stopping me but a lack of talent! I did just fine in high school band: Teacher said it was because I worked hard. (Translation: "Don't give up your day job.")

-so I don't NEED a big metal microphone, but since it's so cool I still WANT to need it!

I tell you, if I plugged this into the PA jack on one of my machines and got a fedora and a pin-striped suit, I could be the Sinatra of small gauge film!

"Youuu don't break my splices,
and what's so nice is,
When we're sharing a screen,
I'm enjoying the scene!"

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Steve. Are you Shure you need this? I see you more as the elvis type btw [Smile] He Hee

-

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 20, 2019 11:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Matt! (Thenkyew verra muccsh!)

I'm Shure I don't!

(Especially for 180 Bucks!)

Sinatra was a New Jersey guy: at least that's local!

(Then again, I grew up in the same county as Billy Joel...Maybe THAT's where all my musical talent went!)

Seriously though, my dream projection booth would be full of things like tube amplifiers and analog panel meters (like Wallace and Gromit would build!), one of these Mics would definitely fit that environment!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 24, 2019 11:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Mathew [Smile]

I don't have any photos at the moment but I did up-load this video...

https://youtu.be/VBtsutAcKuE

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 25, 2019 02:09 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice picture that Matty :-) I have a 1960's Reslo mike here the type used in the studios back in Joe Meek's day. Wonderful sound from a ribbon mike.

Brian. I remember the box very well for the old Eumig 926. I collected it from the camera shop then tied rope round it onto the back of my Honda Camino speed machine, not a pretty sight.
My friendly shop owner when I was ready to set off was really worried about me with the box overhanging the back but I just about made it home.
We do some silly thing when we are young especially as I had to do hand signals on my early Camino moped.
 -

I do wonder if the first batch of 926 projectors had a better head as this one having done much recording is still a top performer. Perhaps in the last throws for the Austrian company never far from another bank bail out they made even more cut back in the materials they were using?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 27, 2019 09:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a Fumeo which lived in what looks like a barn, I like a challenge and got one! About half way thru the strip down sorting electrics, drive issue etc but it will be resurrected.
Anyone need any moss?

-

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 27, 2019 01:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That does look like a Canon Jimi Hendrix is holding... Glasgow concert 1960s. [Smile]
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 28, 2019 04:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Visited Sabrina Sykes Blackpool home again
 -

Sabby's Blackpool home

-

Those of you in the UK Don't forget its SABRINA DAY on 19th May 2019 at Stockport Plaza Super Cinema 7pm. 35mm film being projected as well.
(Born this day 1936. Passed 24th Nov 2016 in La.)

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2019 07:40 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved that pic of the retro style sure mic - outside my day job in mental health i perform semi-professionally with my small swing outfit called "SWAY.." - from left to right. JC does the Sinatra, Caz - Etta James and your truly does either Buble or Harry Connick Jnr. We do quite a few gigs and also do a full rock n roll history set.

Its great fun music.. best to all!

-

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 28, 2019 08:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its done one Fumeo (Silma) stripped and a lube up. I didn't account for having to do a rewire to all the main cables as the minute I touched the old ones the coating fell apart. Anyway runs very sweetly and another saved from the recycling centre.

- A 1979 slice of cinematic history.
10 Watt amp
100watt lamp
600ft reel capacity

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 31, 2019 07:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice projector Lee

Sorted out our tiny space dedicated to film, I hope one day to do a lot more than this, but it will do meantime. I donated the Star Wars films and a running Eumig etc.
 -
 -
Also in the same building.....
 -
 -
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC