8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ealing film fair april 2nd 2016 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ealing film fair april 2nd 2016
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2016 08:59 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope everyone is having a great day at Ealing...
Sorry to miss this one Keith but my community cinema project has really taken off and we're putting on extra screenings of Lady in the Van, so can't be with you today! Hope,it's all going well for you all, I'm sure it is.
Best,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2016 04:10 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would personally like to thank Keith Wilton and all his helpers for the sixty fourth British Film Collectors Convention. It was my 1st visit and I thoroughly enjoyed the venue and more importantly the quality of the film presentation. Unfortunately I missed out on some bargains and the 1st 2 film shows as my Sat Nav died on me while trying to find John Whites house to fix my Eumig - even with my wife then navigating over the mobile from South Wales - it was still an interesting ordeal to find the venue. So eventually arriving 2 hours late - I still managed to buy some nice prints and chat to Barry Attwood in person - rather than on the phone and it was good to meet up with Bob Nicholls again.
What I did see was the Super 8 Scope Show - with a scope tribute from Rothman's to Douglas Badar and extracts from Those Magnificent Men in their flying Machines and extracts from Star Wars which included the climax to the film. These were excellent on the 24ft screen - hard to believe I was actually watching 8mm. The 16mm show was some great B/W shorts - dated but very entertaining - followed by a "look at Life" film - playing with trains. Although I missed the final show which I believe was Laurel and Hardy - I did stay to see classic's cutdown of True Lies in Scope - which was worth seeing.
This event needs our support - so if we can - try to make the 65th event on October 29th. It would be such a shame to loose this from the 8mm calendar. I was very impressed and will now - seriously think of attending other such events.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 03, 2016 04:22 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there will be one at the end of October for definite & i shall put it in as Holiday so i this time i will not have to work.
I hope everyone had a good time and i do hope the dealers sold shed loads.My apologies to Mr Wilton for not being able to attend this one.

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2016 06:10 AM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This event as always, not only a GREAT day out, but another opportunity to meet like-minded friends and colleagues. Kieth did another splendid job (together with helpers) in providing an excellent days event.
I think attendance may have been limited due to holidays, and two dealers tables were vacant. The bring and buy table run by Patrick, was a little sparce, but collectors still managed to find bargains.
The varied programme of S8, 16mm and 35mm was well presented and the improvement of sound quality VERY noticeable.
This important event deserves our support, and I understand returns again later this year. I think many collectors perhaps,fail to grasp the time and effort expended in order to provide this extremely appreciated event.
Thanks to all contributing to a great day`s entertainment.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2016 06:51 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will put the October date on my wall calendar now. I regret missing this one but had important business the other end of the country. First one I have missed for years.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2016 07:32 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess to being a little underwhelmed this time round. Of course the last time I went was at the Town Hall when Derann were still in business along with Perrys and what seemed like a whole host of tables groaning with goodies. Despite getting there first thing I found little in the way of good prints or interesting gear although I did get a set of much needed rewinds and some Crestaclean. Maybe I was expecting too much but I'll definitely be there for the next one now that I've reset my expectations, and of course it's great that there is still a convention to attend! (and many people were very kind to Polly (6) who went with me, giving her some cartoons and books!)

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2016 09:57 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was nice to see so many collectors and meet old and new faces ,but a shame there was a lack of good prints for sale on any format I guess people just holding on to all the good stuff,having said that was a nice day and thank you to anyone who brought from me hope to see you at the next one.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 05, 2016 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Pics?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 06, 2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, will CINESEA be on your schedule April 29th-May 1st? - I do like the idea of you chaps having a Super-8 Scope show, as it were - Perhaps I could interest the Wildwood gang to copy likewise - Cheers all-around from Shorty

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 07, 2016 04:39 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

They have posted some excellent photos on the BFCC web-site [Cool]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 07, 2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham!
Unusual to see Keith in casual dress at these events, he is usually in his trademark black suit! [Smile]
Also, no sign of John Clancy, I wonder if he was there?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 07, 2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John was unable to make it this time, Paul, due to a scheduling clash.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 08, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll belatedly say that I had a very enjoyable day and it was great to see the British Super 8 'premiere' of the first 'True Lies' release. I suspect that whoever did the editing enjoys seeing Jamie Lee Curtis in her underwear! If only I'd arrived a few minutes earlier as at least four of us would have gladly snapped up the rare 16mm print of 'Dr Jekyll and the Werewolf'! The Bring and Buy didn't have a lot of film so I'll respond to John's appeal for more on the BFCC Facebook page - why not have a clear out in time for October? I actually think it's important to not be too sociable on these days - you can easily end up chatting for hours and miss all the shows and not get round to all the dealers. Many thanks to Keith and his hard-working helpers and credit too to the school, selling (e.g.) large bacon rolls for £1.50.

But I was a bit disappointed by the attendance. Maybe the good weather didn't help but also the October event may have caused a relaxed sense that "use it or lose it" didn't apply. The clash with Westminster was unfortunate but as the fairs there are quite frequent, I'm surprised if many film collectors would have opted to go there instead. I certainly won't complain about members with difficult-to-avoid commitments missing it but I think we all (and I don't exclude myself) need to consider how to spread the word and maximise the attendance in future because this is a special 'showcase' for film collecting that's vital for the hobby. Yes, collectors are becoming older but we are seeing early signs of a film revival in various respects and we need to widely convey the message that film is the new vinyl!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC