8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » How long have you been in this hobby ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How long have you been in this hobby ?
Neil Massey
Junior

- posted January 06, 2018 10:19 AM      Profile for Neil Massey   Email Neil Massey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
Mine is the grey model as well, with the 'V' gate. Look on the bright side, they keep your strength up!

|  IP: Logged

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 10:39 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started when i was 14 and i'll be 52 at the end of this month

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 11:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of mine has the Vee Gate and 4000ft spool arms. Ex. RAF from Cyprus.
One advantage of the Vee Gate is the fact that you do not get any build up of muck to appear on the screen.

--------------------
Maurice

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1975, when I was 15, I got my first Bauer C-4 camera and Eumig 807 sound projector. After settling into the joys of shooting and editing, I started collecting the year after. There were some gaps along the way, but I kept my films.
Upgraded to the Elmo ST-1200 in the 80es (a machine I still have) and then found out about this forum years later.

Present day: CineSea twice a year, 16mm included in the projection formats and two S-8 cameras and film stock awaiting action. And on my shelf (as souvenirs) my dreadful Niles 400-ft sound copy of W.C. Fields' "The Fatal Glass of Beer" and my totally red Fox Films "Alien" 400-ft. to remind me of when all of this began... [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 12:37 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aged 11, I was given a 9.5 Pathescope Ace for Christmas 1950 with a film 'Brumas-Polar Maid'. Films were 30ft 5/-(25p) and 60ft 9/6 (42/1/2p) Then bought a Specto 9.5/16mm and learnt the story by heart to make a vocal sound track. Was given a magic lantern. Borrowed slides of 'Pilgrims Progress from Birmingham Library. Used two stitched double bed sheets for a screen and advertised it as 'in glorious colour on the giant panoramic screen'. The hall was full. I made two discoveries: 1. The slides were b/w instead of colour and 2. If you paint an old lantern with black paint it will burn when the high intensity lamp is lit. The hall filled with smoke but I hid it from the audience who thought the whole thing fantastic. Happy days.

--------------------
Dave

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 01:53 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I started in the mid sixties, when was given a bingoscope projector and a few b/w disney films,but I did'nt really start collecting films until I started work and earning some money back in
1975, I bought a Elmo st800 sound projector turned out to be a good choice as it give a good performance and a great work horse it never went wrong wish I still had it. Now have GS1200's and Fumeos.In those days I quickly discovered Derann Films, Perry's Movies, PM Films,DCR,Powell Films,Mountain Films,Walton Films Etc. Etc.I consider myself lucky to be collecting in the so called boom days when all the major studios were releasing their
films on Super 8 and of course later in the second boom days when Derann were releasing all those great features and cartoons
in the 80'and 90's Etc. And of course attending all the film conventions happy days,Still attending the ones we have left and hope to be for some years yet,see you at Farnworth in Febuary and of at Blackpool for the convention and the dinner
still great events.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 02:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like many youngsters in the UK, I started with a 9.5mm Pathescope Ace when I was about 15 years old.My first film was the 60ft silent western Northwest Justice, soon to be followed by Disney Silly Symphonies and Popeye shorts. These little films were a huge hit with the kids on my street when I showed them in our backyard shed for the meagre sum of 6 pence a show! I wanted to shoot my own films, so I purchased the then new Pathescope Pat camera. This camera was a disaster, jammed film chargers, a lens like a marbles, and only two aperture stops. I ran only two chargers of film when I saw 8mm Kodachrome projected on a Specto projector. What an eye opener! My 9.5MM equipment seemed primitive by comparison and 8mm color blew away any 9.5mm that I had seen. So I purchased a Eumig P8 projector and Eumig C8 electric camera, and was soon shooting great looking films in black and white and color.
In 1972 my daughter was 6 years old and I wanted to do something special for her birthday party. So I rented a super 8mm projector and a couple of Disney silent black and white shorts. I was amazed at the picture quality and instantly became curious about super 8mm sound films. So I rented a Kodak M100 Projector and purchased my first S8 sound film The Little Rascals in Hook and Ladder. I was really impressed, and went out and purchased a Eumig S802, and began collecting S8 sound digests.
I did not purchase my first feature length film until the 1990's when Derann were producing some incredible quality prints.
I reached the zenith of home film projection with the purchase of a couple of Elmo GS1200's, followed by the wonderful Eumig S938 stereo with which I discovered the amazing quality that can be achieved by stereo re-recording.
Despite having blu-ray projection and 5.1 surround sound, I still find endless joy in all aspects of reel film projection, which to me is the greatest hobby in the world.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 03:33 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1963 [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 03:59 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So there you have it, Joe Taffis and Pan are in it a long time also - Cheers, Shorty

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since 1974.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since 1946, at the age of 12, when I saved up my paper round payment of six shillings per week until I could purchase the Pathe Ace projector at £5. 10s from Wings the chemists in Woolwich together with a 60ft disney cartoon "Jog Along Joyride" (Extract from Mickeys Taxicab, Mickey Mouse cartoon.) The following year , I saved enough to buy a second hand Coronet camera for £5. Ken Finch. [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2018 01:03 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first film I had was while still at school. My grandma and grandad bought me a hand held viewer and some 200ft films (Mountain I think). It was sent back because the viewer only took 50ft so the film was a standard 8 water skiing film 50ft.

Started work at 16 so I think my proper collecting must be about 1975 and never really stopped. Hell 43 years.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 07, 2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First introduced to 8mm film around 1976 by my boss at the aero club buying a Bell and Howell 1230XL sound camera. I was more interested in taking film than collecting although in time that to came along. During the 80s sold of most of my stuff except the ST1200 and disney shorts plus T/J as we were saving up for a deposit for a house.

Then years later a friend told me about this company in England called Derann [Cool] [Smile] ...the rest... well you can guess the rest [Big Grin]

John Last
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2018 03:16 PM      Profile for John Last   Email John Last       Edit/Delete Post 
Now 84, My dad had a Woolworths 9.5 hand cranked thing with one loop of film. Its lamp was a 4.5v bulb lit by a 4.5 v. flat battery which was common in torches in the 1940's. I think it cost 6d.I was fascinated by this thing but did not have money to buy a good camera until I began working but in 1958 I'd saved enough to buy a Bolex B8VS and a Eumig P8 projector. The cine magic lives on and I enjoy helping others with some of their queries.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2018 07:16 PM      Profile for Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Email Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In earnest...a year or so. It was an extension from my still photo archive. I don't collect movies, trailer or commercials. I go for outcasts that are interesting historically.

I got a few hundred films I acquired this year but have only digitized a few.

nsfw

https://filmarchivedanieldteolijrarchivalcollection.wordpress.com/

Well, I have hopes for a lot more digitization in 2018 and beyond.

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2018 12:39 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1976, I purchased a Eumig-502 D and a 200' B&W digest of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. Silent, as it were But thrilled nonetheless. I moved into better equipment in the early 80's and even added filmmaking as an elective at university. Alas, with the advent of VHS, as a student I could afford a feature at a lesser price so my super 8 days were over... However , I still held on to my collection, hoping for the right time...Until January 2017, when I won an eBay auction of a super 8 print and asked myself... How am I going to see this? Good to be back.

[ January 09, 2018, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2018 02:39 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First started 1953 when I found a Pathescope 200B in the loft together with an excerpt of 'Our Relations' and Wonders of the Amazon. Hooked on it ever since.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2018 05:26 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 1950 with a present from an uncle, a toy 35mm hand cranked projector and several small rolls of nitrate.
Innocent days...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC