8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Scrapping Faded Prints (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Scrapping Faded Prints
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 09:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve

Thank you for the info I recall the book was mentioned on here some time ago and I had forgotten about it - will track a copy down soon.

The floor to ceiling full of films in every room scenario might seem great in theory from the owning plenty to watch angle, but in practice it ruins the lives of those around the collector.

For reasons of the family's privacy I won't upload any pictures but I have seen pics of a whole house full, every single room, of films and cine gear of all types, to the point where only one room was still safely accessible - it was only cleared out after the collector passed away and must have been horrendous for any family or friends to visit the person, let alone to live with them.

Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 09:57 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin Clark wrote

You would think Graham had posted a picture of himself drowning a sack full of fluffy kittens the way some of you are harping on about it.

He has made, and continues to make, this forum a constantly interesting and informative place to read and respond to. 

Totally agree Kevin!!

I know a collector who lives in a house full in every room from floor to ceiling with films,it is a real site to see it and a fine example of collecting gone mad,if you like the smell of vinegar it's worth a visit!!!Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 15, 2018 10:07 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

I find Graham's posting to be completely reasonable and interesting. I'm sure the Film-Tech Landfill Forum would appreciate it also.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 15, 2018 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's the aspect of it when it gets so far beyond control that people find it overwhelming.

Let's say there are a thousand cans of film and only 50 of them are real jewels. The day comes to move that collection on, there's a decent chance the 50 will join the 950 in the dumpster.

-maybe if it had stayed to just 75 or a hundred the 50 would have had a fighting chance.

We cleaned out a family member's house last year and as much as we tried to we still had to throw out more stuff than we wanted to. A lot of it was perfectly usable, but how many dining room tables do you really need? How likely are you to run into somebody who just happens to need one? I've been through this process at least twice and it's sad how much our "valuables" just wind up getting hauled away.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 15, 2018 11:16 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIKE!!

Love that photo of Father Ted!

It was such a shame when "Ted" died right after the completion of that 3rd season. So sad!

I once thought of having printed up a bunch of T shirts of Father Jack Hackett for President of the U.S. Have a big picture of him snarling on the front and this printed up on the back ...

"Feck! Arse!! GIRLS!! DRINK DRINK DRINK!!!"

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 12:22 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite my earlier tongue in cheek post I still think Graham is doing the right thing by destroying junk prints.

Red or faded or fading films are junk prints.

My son lives in a high rise flat and it is very amusing to reel hundreds of feet of film from a spool to the ground below from his window. All you have to do is bundle the film into a black plastic rubbish sack where it belongs. This is very quick and humane demise for such prints. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2018 01:25 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't have enough films says Avid Collector.

-

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 15, 2018 05:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading through all the comments...thanks everyone [Smile]

When Kevin and others here talked about hoarding, I certainly agree it can be a serious problem that effects others around them as well. I have watched programmes on TV and the effects of it on the family are terrible, they become so obsessive they just wont let go of anything.

Taking badly run of the mill faded prints "unless the content is really rare" out of circulation, can only improve the chances of collectors here and elsewhere, who have fading prints of a particular title, can only make it much easier in the long run to find a replacement in better condition.

Robert the people in white coats you refer to are more likely to take away, someone who is sitting watching a badly faded print of "Star Wars"....tell me... would you watch it?, you ask "Why do you need an audience""...well I dont... "15 minutes of fame"...are you kidding [Roll Eyes]

Mike...I remember that Father Ted episode, they were protesting outside a cinema if I remember right [Big Grin] ....the "meaning" behind that photo you posted is I am afraid spot on [Wink] [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 02, 2018 12:08 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking Steve Advice on cutting back [Smile]

Fellow film collector Pat called in today, with one empty car. I said to him, would you like a couple of trailers mmmmm he thought [Wink]

Opened the garage door and before he could change his mind, dumped six full boxes of 35mm trailers all in excellent condition by the way in his car, not only that, but some features as well. Great to get rid of some this stuff and make some room...its almost a relief [Big Grin] ...poor Pat [Wink] I hope he goes easy on the brakes
 -
 -
 -

PS....great news at long last I will have the loan of a Scope 35mm print of "The Last Starfighter"...pick it up next week [Cool]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2018 01:20 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to get home ok Graham! [Cool]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2018 01:21 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Faded prints are great for training the young'uns on footage that's OK to damage.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 02, 2018 01:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are great for that machine that's "new" or just had some major repair too.

A part of me really doesn't like getting "new" machines: it's like handing your car keys over to valet parking!

-you have no reason to be sure you won't get it back without a big gouge in it!

At least with some red or worse film, you'll be able to try it out and not damage anything you'll regret!

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2018 02:24 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff that threads but can’t be screened will always make great leaders. My previous post on “leaders tails and changeovers” will show how to make a good leader without countdowns.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film is film, folks, they're not making much more of it. So offer it up for free if you want to get rid of it, but don't bin it. Even VS footage can have some limited practical value.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 02, 2018 08:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I did not offer it for free is, as rightly stated by David Guest earlier on in this topic...Quote

"yes I think it would have sold people on e-bay are buying films of unknown content and getting over 100 pound for them"

If I was to give it away for free, who is to say that somewhere in the future that's exactly where it might land up...on e-bay.

For this hobby to have any future, badly faded prints and those with VS need to be destroyed otherwise, as a good friend of mine once said to me of film collectors are nothing more than junk collectors.

On a more amusing note though, I once went to a film convention, a raffle was drawn and I won a prize. YES I thought. I went up to receive a 16mm film. Thinking that's nice [Roll Eyes] anyway as I walked back to my seat, another good friend of mine...yes I do have a few... was laughing at me and pointing at the film I was holding.

As I went past him he said, that was his old FADED print that he had got rid of years ago.....it had now done the rounds. Anyway I walked straight back to the stage, and said to the person that presented it to me....give it to someone else....and can I have the small box of chocolates instead. Which I later shared around to my good friend who had a good laugh at the time at my expense.

One would hope that somewhere along the line, that particular film would be taken out of circulation FOR good [Smile]

Folks do remember "film collecting" is only a hobby, its not life or death...enjoy the good stuff and get rid of the crap that's out there and we will all be better of. [Wink]

PS. I should add that thankfully so far with home movies....the stuff taken with a camera... I have not come across any signs of fade or VS with Kodachrome K40 and the like, still look fantastic. At the moment I have just finished putting together about 46 rolls of the stuff onto 800ft reels taken at the 1974 Commonwealth Games for a transfer to digital. The colors look great and as far as family home movies are concerned, those very important films look as good today, as when they were taken.

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2018 12:20 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
„Folks do remember "film collecting" is only a hobby, its not life or death...“

Graham
To some people it’s more than only a hobby.
And this is the difference...
Passion is not the same as „a hobby“.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 03, 2018 01:44 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy!!!
Great thread though. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2018 04:40 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham is very brave in destroying those faded prints. I have a couple of features that are affected but I would be loath to dump them, more likely give them to someone who just wants to run films. Of course these may be sold on one day, I can't control that.
Films with vinegar syndrome are another matter. These should be dumped as they can affect other acetate based stocks in close proxinity.
Having said that, it's scary to think of the sort of things your neighbours may have sorted away. Having worked in and around the film industry I've heard of several enthusiasts with stockpiles of nitrate prints. That puts even VS in the shade!

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2018 04:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think due respect should be shown to anyone dealing with their own property in the manner they wish to do so - film collecting is a hobby, one of passion for some, one of pure entertainment and hands on joy for others, but also sadly one of hoarder syndrome 'can't bear to throw out the trash' torture for quite a few too.

Graham - that was a great gesture passing your films to Pat I'm sure he will love watching them in his cinema.

Pat - great to hear you got home safely - please tell me the make and model of the car you used as I could do with upgrading to a good workhorse motor later this year - if it can handle carrying that many heavy 35mm prints it will be ideal for me.

Kevin

Reese Williams
Junior

- posted May 03, 2018 08:06 AM      Profile for Reese Williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's cool

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2018 12:57 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Reese - what's with all the short answers all over the forum? If what you have to say is about 5 words or less, it's not cool. This isn't Facebook where you need to "like" everyone's posts! Please make sure what you add contributes to the conversation!

So, back on topic:
I think Graham understands the difference between "passion" and "hobby" full well, and if you know his theater history PLUS his amazing home theater history, then you know the amazing evidence of that fact. If he thinks we're junk hoarders because tossing magentavision prints is against our religion, he's welcome to that opinion. I've sold such on eBay with full disclosure and kept few for myself. I'll never forget the pin-sharp print of "My Friend Flicka" on early Eastmancolor film that was amazing to behold on the big screen but was dying of VS and color death, and I didn't want to screen it for an audience. So someone got cheap film to play with. I digress.

Here's the point: to get rid of ALL red film eliminates about 2/3 of everything out there. I don't think all of it is junk, nor of zero usefulness; therefore, getting rid of it all is too extreme in my opinion.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2018 04:05 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to reply to Kev's comments, my car is a SUZUKI SWIFT, very lightweight to drive and can as you can see haul a nice load of films! [Big Grin]

Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 03, 2018 09:36 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

We've all been guilty of one word affirmative posts on occasion....Reese is brand new here, I'm sure he'll catch on.

Patrick,

The car is impressive but your "closet o' film" must be vast!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 03, 2018 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye!

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2018 12:06 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC