8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » VHS is Back! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: VHS is Back!
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 13, 2018 05:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I see VHS is back on the shelves in the UK at HMV.

Chatting to the staff at HMV its part of the retro drive apparently with a large display up centre shop. I wonder how long it will be till we see Super 8 on the shelf?

https://www.hmv.com/video/hmv-launches-vhs-range-with-e-t-scarface-back-to-the-f uture-and-more

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 13, 2018 05:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At £9.99, to include two DVDs (one Blu-ray), they are much cheaper than the new 12" LPs.
HMV say they are limited editions, are they putting their toes in the water? It seems they might only be available to order.

https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/vhs-range?_ga=2.24862970.1545255509.1544700686-6 5429854.1542716257

--------------------
Maurice

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2018 07:43 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...... and to think of that car boot load I dumped at the tip last week...DAMN!!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2018 01:51 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but as nice as it is, it is just a packaging gimmick.

You don't actually get a VHS version...thank goodness. [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2018 01:52 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but as nice as it is, it is just a packaging gimmick.

You don't actually get a VHS version...thank goodness. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 13, 2018 02:36 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob's comment has referred me back to the ad and I've just seen the words "playable VHS tape not included".
What a terrible con.
HMV should be ashamed of themselves. [Mad]

--------------------
Maurice

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2018 02:40 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(V)ideo (H)orse (S)hit

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 13, 2018 02:46 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that false advertising?
I guess there trying to cash in on the "retro" collectors. In that case, maybe super 8 could be back on the shelf's soon? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2018 06:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that was ever good about VHS was how it brought home video into affordable price ranges (at the cost of killing Super 8), and Hi-Fi Stereo audio tracks.

Otherwise, execrable.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2018 08:08 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"VHS Range" - without actual VHS cassette included?
So what's the point,other than just marketing gimmick? [Confused]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2018 01:45 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who still owns a VHS player/recorder? Mind you it plays DVD's as well. [Cool]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2018 08:49 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a couple of VHS machines and a lot of tapes. I even put them on the same cine screen with a video projector. Another type of nostalgia... I'm just AV crazy, I guess. If I like a film I like having it on various formats. Interesting to compare.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 14, 2018 12:20 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, no your not, we have three here, one almost brand new, also have a VHS/DVD player. I still have all my tapes of the kids growing up, (as well as 600ft of Super 8) which i have never got around to transferring. [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 14, 2018 12:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the late 1970s my parents bought a VCR. It was this ponderous beast with a metal chassis and fake wood veneer. The tape popped out the top. They got maybe 15 years out of that one. I've never seen a front loader go that far, especially with steady use. The even newer ones with a DVD player the disk player usually goes even before the tape player.

-this is not what progress looks like!

Back in the day, for people used to watching broadcast TV on the small screens we had. VHS looked just fine.

I found a VHS collector's forum maybe two years ago. What was wonderful about it is the rhetoric was a lot like ours!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2018 07:07 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have far too many VHS tapes to not have a couple working players. I still buy VHS tapes...and cheap too! [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 14, 2018 07:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple that were never reissued as DVDs that I’d hate to never see again.

-me too!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 15, 2018 12:04 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 front loader VCRs...One is a GO-Video Dual VCR, the second is a Toshiba VCR/DVD combo, and the third is a Sony. I use the Sony primarily as a master video and audio input-output console...connecting my film projectors, a digital projector, TV tuner, DVD player, and Chromecast streaming dongle. I can easily switch between media with the remote. The Sony has never had any problems although I haven't run a tape threw it recently. The other two didn't work for a long time. There's a guy on YouTube that is a master at restoring these machines. I learned enough from him to repair them both. I've used them for converting old VHS family home movies to digital.

-

[ December 15, 2018, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2018 07:51 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still have our VCR(Toshiba M672 with vcrplus!) set-up but haven't watch in a little while since i had converted all the good ones to digital...
Toshiba M672 Nice!
My favourite VHS cassette I own is my copy of "The Rutles" which is a great movie if you've never seen it. I am sure our UK friends know this inside out, but some over here may still not know who the Rutles are! [Smile] Don't upset the Apple Cart!
All You Need Is Cash!
I like your set-up Janice!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched one of the BBC Dr Who tapes the other day. Tom Baker 1970s analogue video and you know it looked pretty good about 4ft by 3ft projected. The BBC Pal tapes were good and this was a 1990s tape issue - so 70s origination played with 90s tape and machine ( Sony ) with 2000s VP. Not bad.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always sorry when Video 2000 faded out. Such a good picture and being able to turn the cassette over was an inspired idea. I've still got my Panasonic Svhs machine. When it had to be repaired a couple of years ago the technician said 'don't get rid of this. You'll never be able to replace it'. I've taken his advice, though I don't play the small number of tapes I have very often.

--------------------
Dave

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2018 07:33 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am another one who still uses VHS and have quite a large collection of films on the format. I have 3 Panasonic recorders which still work O.K. and screen the tapes via the the Epson projector in my cinema and the picture is still very watchable on most of them!! ken Finch. [Smile]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2018 09:21 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(V)ertical (H)orizontal (S)uck is actually the technical term.

ßetamax will rise again!

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2018 11:59 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell - You do make a good point there. Whatever caused Betamax to sink with all hands as opposed to VHS when it was commonly accepted that Betamax was, in fact, the better system?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2018 12:44 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marketing. JVC licensed VHS to any manufacturer, whereas Sony protected Betamax.

Also, although better, Betamax was generally more expensive.

In mass marketing, there is a philosophy that the cheapest product that generally works will succeed.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2018 01:18 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it did continue as Betacam, Betacam SP and Digibeta in the TV industry.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC