No announcement yet.

What 16mm Films Did You See Last Night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a language adventure last night!

I've been attending German class one night a week for five years now. I'm a descendant of about 10 generations of German speakers including my Dad, who was born here but spoke only German until he was five years old. I found an adult German course that wasn't expensive, wasn't very demanding (1.5 Hours per week, and on Zoom since the lockdown, with no tests and no grades), so I said "Why not?".

Well, I said there were no tests, but last night 16mm gave me one!

Die Kuh showed up from E-bay a couple of days ago, labeled for the West German Embassy to Canada in Ottawa. It has the look of early 1960s television.

Now here's the thing about learning foreign languages: for most of us, real fluency is kind of elusive. Native Speakers started learning when they were babies, it's a pretty faint hope to catch up with them for somebody that started in their fifties! Yes, you can learn many words and the grammar, and I seem to be getting fairly good at reading it, but decoding a native speaker going full tilt is hard! Last night I had the same reaction I often do: "We don't speak this fast in class: please slow down!" (It's all processing speed.)

Then they hit you with some word or phrase you don't know and after that, it's like going down a flight of stairs on roller skates!

(I had the same problems with Spanish when I worked in Mexico...)

-so the smallest details of conversations ran past me like fence pickets in a tornado, but I got the basic idea. An advertising agency is doing a campaign for a dairy company featuring a cow out in a field. They are having trouble drawing her because they don't know which of the front or back legs a cow stands up with first. They go visit a farm and all they see is a cow fertilizing the pasture! -So they ask the Ad. executives: they don't know. -So the Ad. Execs ask the president of the company: he doesn't know. -So he gets on the phone and calls the Ministry of Agriculture. By the end of the movie this question is swirling around the top echelons of the German government!

-so despite me missing the lurid details of whatever the Boss was saying to that stunning blonde secretary (she smiled...), I got the basic gist!

I'm giving myself a "C+", and maybe putting "Die Kuh" on the shelf for a few months! (I might injure myself!)

Comment

• If only the Babel Tower people hadn't existed, Steve...

Last night, a French film (with Danish subtitles) : the classical Le marginal (I don't know how the title was translated in English, "marginal" means non conformist) with Jean-Paul Belmondo, recently dead at the age of 88. Jean-Paul Belmondo (nicknamed "Bebel" in French) was known for realising all the stunts himself.

Comment

• Wellll...

I guess if there weren't foreign languages, I'd just take piano lessons!

(-I've always wanted to!)

The nice thing about studying German is if I ever washed out of it I wouldn't have a piano to get rid of!

Last night in 16mm: Two Fractured Fairy Tales cartoons. I don't think I've seen one of these since I was 10 years old. They are a little short for all the fuss involved in showing them. I might just put them together on one 400 foot reel.

Comment

• Back to 16mm this evening. Since having both machines repaired I promised myself that I would project all my 16mm films in the coming weeks.

Tonight it was......

1x 200' - Local newsreel I rescued from being dumped many years ago featuring our local ferry service

3x 1600' ( more like 3x 1200' ) Kramer vs Kramer - Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep. Can't have projected this copy in 20 years. The colour has certainly moved towards pink since the last time, but some colour still there and still good to watch.

Comment

• I love that it is getting darker earlier now. Last night I watched reel 1 of "Once Upon a Crime (1992) and tonight I'll watch reel 2. Quality is great on this print.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211110_040415585.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	46594 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211110_040547834.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	46595 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211110_040930978.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	46596 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211110_041548394.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	46597 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211110_041550326.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	46598
            Last edited by Janice Glesser; November 10, 2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Watched "The Russians are Coming ..." (1966) with my grandson. My copy is a little faded but always a fun movie to watch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211111_023311762.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	46672

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Silent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	46680

Well!,

It's getting to be that time of the year. I picked up this little Castle Films jewel on E-Bay this week. It's all of maybe 3 minutes: the shortest 16mm print I have. Along with Christmas Trailer Reel#1 from The Reel Image and many others including the Christmas movies I shot as a teenager, we'll have the Spirit of the Season on screen for sure!

I watched "Silent Night" yesterday: my wife decided she wanted to wait until Christmas to see it for real, so it was no major sound system and broad daylight while she was at the store: it was still really great! (She doesn't even know about Christmas Trailer Reel#1 yet!)

Comment

• Tonight's wander through my 16mm collection was a little like watching a very big 1.33:1 television screen as you will see.......

Sgt. Bilko 1x1000' - "Bilko's Formula Seven." I know.... I watched it three weeks ago......but it IS Bilko....!

M*A*S*H 1x1000' - Not sure of the episode title as it certainly wasn't the one mentioned on the box (Best of Enemies), and no mention on the film leader itself. It was the one where there was a rumour that another MASH unit would be setting up nearby.

The Waltons 1x 1600' - "The Beguiled" - A posh female student runs John Boy off the road, steals his essay notes and plants them in the case of a friend of Jim Bob's who is known to be excellent at sleight of hand. Season 3 Episode 18

The Waltons 1x 1600' - "The Outsider" - Ben arrives home with someone in tow...... his new wife, Cindy. Series 7 Episode 20. Interesting to watch these two episodes together as there are so many differences. By Series 7 all the children are growing up, Grand-father has died, Grandma has had her stroke, Mary Ellen is widowed with a child, and Mrs.Walton wasn't in the series (although there was a phone call to her).

No film show next Saturday evening.

Actually, that is not strictly true. The film show I WILL be attending will be one in the presence of many members of this forum after tucking into a hearty meal in a hotel in a seaside town on the Western coast of England. The name escapes me................ !!!!!!

Comment

• Several night ago : Train de plaisir. As the title suggests, it's a French film. Nice 1936 comedy with intersting views of a train and a train station. Unfortunately, my copy is, for an unknown reason slightly abridged. Still enjoyable, tough.

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Last night i check the film i was going to project for Christmas. It will be Hook from Steven Spielberg, i think it's perfect for this time of year. I was in heaven when i bought it.

Here some extract from the movie. On the video it's look a bit red but in reality the colors are great.

https://youtu.be/I5FCetQHOqg
                      https://youtu.be/JvXrlFlkxrM

I have a question, the film is not in scope (no anamorphic lens required) but the film seems to be print with the complete image (not a square image) . There is dark line on the top and downside.

On the video do you think it's the complete image?

Happy Christmas all
                      Last edited by Pierre Mdihi; December 24, 2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• My family all got together and made a delicious ham Christmas Eve dinner topped with a peach cobbler and homemade eggnog at my house tonight. After dinner they played a party game and then we watched my 16 mm print of "It's a Wonderful Life."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre Mdihi View Post
                          I have a question, the film is not in scope (no anamorphic lens required) but the film seems to be print with the complete image (not a square image) . There is dark line on the top and downside.

On the video do you think it's the complete image?
                          No idea, Pierre, but the titles should give you an indication. If they are not cut, there is a good chance the picture is complete. Hope you enjoyed your Christmas projection.

I've just watched two "séances musicales", musical extraits from French films. I also watched other séances musicales a few nights ago. They are entertaining and repeteables. Some have only the songs of a film, others are kind of digests and have more dialogues.

Comment

• Pierre - according to IMDB, 'Hook' has an aspect ratio of 2.39:1. As your print is clearly 'squarer' than 2:1, there must be some cropping at the sides, but at least it doesn't have the cropping at the top and bottom that would apply if it was a scope print!

Comment

• Hi,
                              Thanks for your reply.

Indeed after having checked again the image is a little truncated on the sides but with the black edges it is much less obvious.

Happy new year all

Comment

• Just now and recently : several French musical digests (made by an individual) from '30s, '40s and '50s films.

Comment

Working...
                                X