No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	43_data.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	22602
    43: Cropped in Wolverine (no post)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Feu...ew?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version  Name:	46_data.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	22603

46: Not cropped in Wolverine (no post)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-1_...ew?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version  Name:	birthday.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	22605
    birthday: Hawkeye with post

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S6c...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Wow guys, you are so helpful! 👍👏
      I'll need more time to reply on image quality, compression etc. (but David's processed Hawkeye conversions are great - the frame rate at the start of "birthday: Hawkeye with post" seems not perfectly smooth, though).

In the meantime, regarding my film transport issue: thank you very much Stan for taking the time to write customized instructions for me!
      I'm a bit reluctant to disassemble the thing at the moment, until I cannot easily reproduce the transport issue. Otherwise I will never understand what is happening.
      Today I converted another couple of reels, and it all went fine. Although even when running smooth, the frames are slightly oscillating vertically. See this short sample:
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q9FUsJ1LGoWMP71b7
      (It's the original Wolverine clone output @30fps, only re-encoded at 2kbps by HandBrake which I used to extract just a few seconds)
      If you look frame by frame and watch e.g. the film holes, you will see the frames are 2 up, 2 down, 2 up, 2 down...
      It's again the 4-beat pattern I noticed when experiencing the issue. Indeed, often (not always) while working the machine sounds like:
      "Clock, clock, clack! clack! Clock, clock, clack! clack!"
      2 times a softer sound, 2 times a more sharp one, and so on.
      Listen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eCaRuMqR4ceGP4oZ9

Stan, what do you mean when you write "try running without the belt"? You mean not using the take up reel? Just letting the film drop into a box or something, to avoid any issues caused by the belt? And is it your same suggestion, David? I usually hate when the film drops out and I go crazy when making up the reel again by hand, but I suppose there has to be a smart way to do it...

Comment

• I can understand your concern Marco. Do not want to mess up the precision machine and that is OK. The oscillation (jitter) can be caused by several things. The first thing is to eliminate the takeup. If the machine is still open you can disconnect the belt and run the takeup manually by hand making sure that you do not apply any tension on the film. Or you can leave the belt on but will have to control the takeup so that it does not assert any tension on the film. Do not have to use a long clip. Just a short one for a quick test to see if the jitter is still there.
        The next test is with the folded paper in the gate.
        See the FAQ:
        https://www.wolverinedata.com/faqs
        This fix reduces the gate pressure which is excessive can cause jitter
        The next possible cause is that the reel was wound up too tight. Rewind the film using the Wolverine rewind feature.

And if this all does not help, then it is back to your transport mechanism and gears. Possibly some gear deformation of jamming. In that case you will have to open up the stepper assembly.

Comment

• Marco

Yes the Hawkeye clip is running in slow motion? I had to re render that clip, it was in an uncompressed format and did not notice the speed. The most important thing is the image difference.

I just restrained the the take up reel with my hand, when I first used the wolverine. It was very aggressive. There is a slip clutch on the spindle, so it won't break anything. If you remove the belt, use your hand to advance the take up.

Comment

• For those with the UX226 and UX178 cams, this cable works very good.
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZBGFM8/
            Goes straight from the PC to the cam bypassing the Hawkeye board. The SD slot at the back cover has to be enlarged in order to fish the cable through.
            I am still looking at the other solution with the V13 board. Waiting for shorter cables to arrive.

Comment

• Hello everybody,

Thank you very much Stan for the information, sorry for the delay in responding.
              As soon as I can, I will think about the design of a universal camera support, in order to avoid spacers and the extra pcb.
              I will post the 3D file.

Comment

• No problem Kamel. No rush.
                I did another comparison between Hawkeye postprocessed clip vs Wolverine unprocessed.
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ljI...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Great find Stan. My cable works but has 4 connections. I'm going for the long one and mount a couple of posts on the back of the Hawkeye to wind the cord on for storage. It will always be there!

Comment

• That is a great idea David.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
                      The oscillation (jitter) can be caused by several things. The first thing is to eliminate the takeup.
                      Hi Stan,
                      I found time today to do a couple of tests for the jitter, with no success.
                      I controlled the take up reel to avoid tension, I disconnected the belt, I also applied all suggestions from the FAQ: reformatted the card in the device, started conversion a few inches into the movie skipping the lead, and tried the folded paper trick, but the result is always the same: jitter every 2 frames.
                      The reel was rewinded using the device itself so it should not be too tight.

I'm afraid I'll have to open the stepper assembly...

Anyway, I think you did not confirm: do you think the Hawkeye can be installed in my device? Or is it only for the Wolverine Pro?

Thanks.

Comment

• Hi Marco. I believe that Hawkeye would fit OK. My only concern is the clearance to the belt. But we can check that. I can send you the dimesons of the board and you can cut one out for a piece of cardboard and check the fit.
                        But you should look into the transport mechanism first to make sure that you do not have a serious issue there. Bad gears could be a major problem.

Comment

• Good morning all

Stan:

Concerns my Somikon scanner with the V12 card

- In position 0.5 fps with alarm recording of images ok

- In position 1fps with alarm: recording of images seems correct

- In 1 fps position: images are often missing

- In the 2 fps position: it seems that the images have trouble recording, more than half of the images are missing.

The dfm 72buco2 camera seems to work well.

I started the timer without activating the external trigger and was inundated with images within seconds.

I have a gamers pc: intel core I7- 4770K video card Nvidia geforce GTX 770 Ram 16 go SSD 500 go HDD 2 to.

What do you think Stan?

cordially Alain

Comment

• Possibly FPS setting in IC Capture.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	fps.png
Views:	357
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	22926

Also make sure that you anti virus sw is not checking every image. If you are running windows 10 it is in your security settings.
                            You can also google for it depending on the os version that your are running.
                            Also if you are using an external usb HDD that it is connected to the USB3 port.
                            Hope this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
                              After the stepper 3 screws are removed the assembly will become loose. Try pulling it out slowly giving some slack to the two cables routed through the front panel. You may be able to pull it out sufficiently to be able to work on it. If not you may need to remove the front bezel by removing the small screws from the back.
                              Hi Stan,
                              I disassembled the thing to inspect the stepper.
                              I had troubles pulling out the stepper assembly because there is no way for the connector to the front panel (see picture below) to pass through, but I loosened the front bezel so I could at least open the stepper assembly cover.

Anyway I cannot see anything strange in there. Here is a video of me turning the gear: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MLRdfJ4UFxsgUHaP9
                              Does it seems ok to you? Or do you have any suggestions on specific things to check?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	connector.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	22984

Comment

• Hi Marco,
                                I opened up my unit and I do not hear any clicking noise that you have when turning the gear. In my case the movement is smooth. In you case it almost sounds like something binding.
                                https://photos.app.goo.gl/mfmP76WPoSNHZfHJ6

Comment

Working...
                                X