Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Brown
    replied
    It was at least 6 years ago since I bought the plastic and no evidence on Amazon or Ebay. I do remember It was shipped from somewhere.

This looks similar. Looks like it could be 50% translucent also.

Amazon Click image for larger version

Name:	31FfpFEsO4L.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	47357 Mine Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211120_174400232.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	47358

https://www.amazon.com/SIBE-R-PLASTI...G%2CB07MG8KTBX

An assembly of what I have in the link below. I used 2" finishing nails, just over 2mm dia.. A spring I had that fits under tension. I have removed, but not printed, 1.5 mm from the width of the roller-bracket. The rocker doesn't easily move side to side while under tension.
    If you sent a spring, I'll see. Otherwise, I can't say if my spring is strong enough. Very handy to lift the rocker off the motor by the nail.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17rT...ew?usp=sharing

LOL, I was about to ask how this mounts to the board when I realized, there is a stepper_bracket. Probably since I have two of mine on the bench, it wasn't printed. Here it is with my bracket for now.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211120_182847869.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	47359
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    Good work David. I sent you several steel shafts yesterday. Should get them within a few days. You are right, the diffuser can be held in place sandwiched between the gate and the LED housing. Do you have the part number for the diffuser?

Leave a comment:

• David Brown
    replied
    I have printed the parts. Today I'm measuring the printed parts against the designed dimensions. The only part that has a problem is the shaft. It easily breaks when trying to cleanup with sandpaper or a file. I found a 1.5"L finishing nail, 1.6 mm dia. works really well.

I've decided to make any changes in Spark, so it's has been a slow start. Pretty much like Fusion360, but just enough different or else I'd be done. Still it will be faster to just modify and not recreate these in Fusion.

Isn't the Gate mounted onto the LED_housing? That would hold the plastic in place. I'm still using 1/8" white (acrylic I think) that years ago came 8"x10". It defuses well while passing most of the lumenence.

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    The diffuser is just a rectangular piece of thin plastic so I am not sure if the arrangement that you have will work well with that. Would be good to have a thin diffuser carrier with a recessed opening for the thin diffuser. The recessed window should be wider than the gate opening. I will sketch it tonight.
    Are you having problems printing these tiny parts out?

Here is what I thought. A thin piece of opaque white plastic sandwiched between the gate bottom parts.

Name:	gate_bottom_alternative.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	47231

Last edited by Stan Jelavic; November 19, 2021, 07:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Brown
    replied
    Good to know about the diffuser.

In an earlier gate design, I made a dovetail slot for a mask on the bottom. With small parts, cleaning up support structures can be difficult. In this case I split the part into two pieces. Then both can be printed (flat side down) without supports. I also changed the dovetail to a square slot since the mask can be held in place by the bottom half.

To illustrate that. The mannequin's arm is supported, the different color highlights the supports.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-18 210457.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	47133 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-18 204406.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	47134 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-18 205503.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	47131
    Makes me wonder what commercial printers do to remove structures from tiny places. I know there is water soluble filament that can be used with a two headed printer. Just soak the part in water and the supporting structures melt. That would be great!

I'll download the updates. No way do download the whole folder at once?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    Updated the design in github.
    https://github.com/vintagefilmography/homemade-telecine
    Made the roller bracket a bit tighter and reinforced the spring tabs.

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    That is for the diffuser since the diffuser has to be close to the film. If the diffuser is too far from the film the sides of the mounting board could reflect onto the film top surface and emphasize the film scratches.

Leave a comment:

• David Brown
    replied
    Stan, 1 quick question. There will be a list of questions later!

Does something fasten to the Gate_Bottom by the dovetail slot? If not, can I fill it in?

Hope this helps.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	47059

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    Updated the files.
    https://github.com/vintagefilmograph...in/gate_design
    Here is what a completed assembly should look like:
    https://github.com/vintagefilmograph..._assembly3.stl

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    Thanks David. The bracket has to be made a bit narrower to reduce the rocker arm sideways play. I was not sure what the printer tolerances are so I left it wider. Also the spring tabs probably have to be reinforced to prevent them from bending or breaking.

Leave a comment:

• David Brown
    replied
    Wow! I will begin going thru all this tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    Hi David, the complete DesignSoark design is availabe here:
    https://github.com/vintagefilmograph...in/gate_design

Included are a few instructions on how to fit the parts together. Since you have a 3D printer it will be easier for you to tweak the design to make it fit properly. I will send you some parts as well like a set of rollers, shaft and the stepper,
    The critical is the shaft fit for the idle roller and the rocker arm as shown:

Name:	assembly1-instructions.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	46871

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    Thank you very much for your offer David. I will go through the design a few more times. Do not want to miss something big and then let you know.

Leave a comment:

• David Brown
    replied
    You have been busy......

Let me know when you feel ready to print this, I'd be glad to do it. I have to be faster than Shapeways and it's free. I must have printed 10 or more versions of the gates I was building. Once it is tangible, I find a lot of things to change!

I guess I should replace my printer's mother board this weekend. I've waited since I've been printing so much. Done with that for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Stan Jelavic
    replied
    Here is the assembly with all of the parts aligned.

Name:	film_gate_assembly1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	46729 Click image for larger version

Name:	film_gate_assembly1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	46730
    The gate is mounted on a small enclosure that acts as a standoff and as the LED housing. The pinch roller spring is not shown. It mounts between the two tabs providing a downward pressure on the idler.
    The stl file is available here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...bD?usp=sharing
    Will get the necessary parts and try to assemble the unit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X