No announcement yet.

DIY real-time 8mm/S8mm telecine system sample footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During transfers, I find that the image on the external monitor I use looks better in real time than the resultant video recorded to the SD card at the max quality setting. I'm using a Panasonic HDC-SD9 camcorder. So to test, I fed the camera's HDMI out through an AverMedia Live Gamer Mini and captured the video on my PC at the same time as on the SD card. I'm using OBS Studio on my PC, vs the AverMedia software, as OBS gives complete control over frame rate, quality, etc. Here's a synced up result, OBS on the left, the SD card's video on the right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpDjJpmBm_8

Both have only been flipped vertically, as this is just an encoding test. No color correction. It's subtle, but the OBS capture looks "cleaner" to me. During encoding, it appears that the camcorder adds some edge enhancement or sharpening and blows out the highlights a bit (look at the male golfer's pants).

There's some more testing I would like to try, but I think this is how I'm going to transfer films going forward.

Comment

i see what you mean Robert. The OBS version is definitely sharper and cleaner. I always transfer via the HDMI link and have never captured to the SD card. However this is good to know for others that might be capturing to the internal memory or SD card. I've never tried capturing with OBS either... I use Black Magic Express with a capture card. I'm going to try OBS though...just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
        I always transfer via the HDMI link and have never captured to the SD card
        That method really seems to be the best way to go!

Comment

Nice work Robert. Good point regarding the HDMI capture.

Comment

I also make sure that all the auto settings are turned off. Intelligent contrast control, Help mode, Soft skin mode, Colour night view, Backlight compensation, Low light and OIS

Comment

Thanks, Stan.

Kim, the only setting I have on is is Intelligent contrast control, as I've found it does make an improvement.

Comment

Working...
              X