X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    Most definitely, the best animated films,cgi or hand drawn animation are being made overseas, and not in the U.S. Disney died almost 20 years ago, quite sadly. I don't mind the cgi, if I can't really tell it's cgi. I am totally fed up with super hero films. Very few have been worth watching even more than once. By the way, "Cry Macho" is definitely a drama. It's certainly not an actioneer.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Stuart wait until you read this nothing has ever topped this classic.

I still want to destroy all copies of The Rose.

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...=000423#000000

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Budd
    replied
    I knew I was entitled to a sex life. That's it! I'm not paying my council tax until I get one. If the M25 wasn't so far away I'd go and sit on it! Ou err missis. Sorry, just had a chocolate biscuit. Sugar does this to me. I'll be alright in a min

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Comic reproductions and franchises are a trend that as long as they make money they will be churned out. With all the methods of making income from a film like cinema, streaming , physical units blu ray, television rights etc it near impossible not to make a profit eventually.

The big growth markets for films are outside US and even Europe. Those markets amount to only amount to 25% to 30% of the box office. Rest of the world make up the rest.

I wouldn’t call them fantasy or science fiction either they are graphic novels which is the key to understanding them. They are all “visual” no meaningful dialogue and a script any child can write on the back of a cigarette pack. Why? That is because they not aimed for for local market but China India in fact is anywhere that doesn’t need language to understand. Look at Bollywood or Kong Fu movies they are all visual.

In terms of actual physical cinemas I think we are actually at the end of an era. Which is sad. There will be big smart money cinemas like theatre but the multiplexs I fear will go the way of the flea pits in the 1970s and 1980s. Homes with cinema experience rooms are more common than they were even 10 years ago. Netflix Amazon Sky will become the big players in film production is going through the roof.

Whilst missing the audience experience comfort no annoyances no need to leave our home and setting your own agenda is now looking more attractive.

2020 is the first year since 1975 I didn’t go to the cinema. 2021 is looking similar I might go to see new Bond movie but then again might wait for Blu ray I do have a cinema.

I suppose I am moving into the middle aged collector bracket but I remember having conversations with collectors years ago at film convention and was amazed how few went to the cinema on a regular basis and how they questioned what some Derann releases of modern films from 1980s and 90s were like they had never seen them.

Interesting to hear other views.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Adsett
    replied
    Yes as Ken says, its all fantasy and SciFi anymore at the cinema. Drama films are just not being made at all as far as I can tell. So no opportunity for good actors to develop into great ones. Which is why I like the old classic movies the best

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    replied
    Sometimes it is hard to tell many years ago as a projectionist on duty when I saw the trailers for the Little mermaid I thought to myself oh no this thing is going to be a piece of garbage and look what happened I own all three on DVD and I own the first one on super eight for length and love it

Leave a comment:

• Ken Finch
    replied
    I have seen some very good films of recent years at our local cinema. People seem to be better behaved at our little independent than in the big multiplexes. I hesitate to say this, but it seems to me that many of the products coming from the U.S these days rely too much on CGI and Sci Fi fantasy. Superman, Wonder woman, Captain Marvel, Spiderman etc.etc. Maybe it is my age! Ken Finch.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Photiou
    replied
    That was a good series Mike, one of the better documentaries regarding movies. You are spot on with about films made after around 2010, i think i've been to the cinema no more than a few times since 2010, obviously the recent visit and disappointment at the PC James bond film, but more happily, a few years ago to see Stan and Ollie, a British film with a subject matter they couldn't tamper with. Other than that, i cannot remember what else i have seen in the cinema in years, someone else mentioned the ignorant twats that either talk all the way through a film, rustle sweet wrappings or put their poxy mobile phones on and light the place up, there's something wrong with people today, respect for others seems to have gone out the window.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
    Quite true, but only to an extent, Mike, but I definitely agree with Dave, for instance, when I see an advertisement for a product that is suddenly pandering to things I don't agree with or support, l write it down on my list of " don't buy this product", but Hollywood has had this agenda building for years. They are not pandering to society, they are purposefully intending to change society. We have already seen how Hollywood will already keep films from Oscar recognition of they don't have a certain quota of "people" that they champion.
    Funny, I watched a documentary series on Sky recently think it was called Movies produced by Tom Hanks which reviewed films and trends by decade from 1930s to present. Every decade there were notable films you said yes they were good until you got to 2010 onwards then it went all downhill Marvel Star Wars and minority driven films. There was nothing of note . All the award winning films were the same sequels franchises political correct or woke. Actually the only best film was a Parasite which I wouldn’t have watched bar my daughter it was a Korean film with a great story .

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    I don't think Superheroes should be sexually active in any way!
    (Someone could get hurt!)

Leave a comment:

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    Quite true, but only to an extent, Mike, but I definitely agree with Dave, for instance, when I see an advertisement for a product that is suddenly pandering to things I don't agree with or support, l write it down on my list of " don't buy this product", but Hollywood has had this agenda building for years. They are not pandering to society, they are purposefully intending to change society. We have already seen how Hollywood will already keep films from Oscar recognition of they don't have a certain quota of "people" that they champion.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Boycott is the best policy. They react to money loss before anything else.

Leave a comment:

• David Baker
    replied
    So it's as simple as this : Don't like it ? - Then don't support it . Period .

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Everybody is entitled to a sex life just don’t want to know about it. Really we have moved from one type of discrimination to another.

I notice the Nobel award panel have declared they won’t do quotas that awards on based on ability and talent.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Fretwell
    replied
    Well if you will cross breed between Krypton and Earth who knows what you will come up with. I would think Clark and Lois would just be glad that it was possible at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X