8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Scariest Super8 Feature ever (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Scariest Super8 Feature ever
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 07, 2009 12:37 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well for me its "Snow White" just watched it today that old Queen/Witch is a real nasty piece of work, [Eek!] poisoned Apple....etc... etc should have been an R18, [Wink] come to think of it [Roll Eyes] that a lot of so called childrens stories are downight awful no wonder kids have nightmares.... so what is yours?.. film that is [Smile]

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2009 08:36 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
Not sure about the scariest film but at a previous BFCC one of the talks was 'The Dark Side Of Disney'
Apparently Walt Disney took delight in scaring children to the point of upsetting them on occasion.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Among the films I own...I'd say the original Night of the Living Dead shook me up the most. I saw it when it first came out...in a theater, sitting my myself...not knowing what to expect. It did spook me...made me uneasy. The other time that happened was sitting in the theater watching the original Alien. Today, with all the sequels and remakes and gore, we are less sensitive to and really don't remember how creepy that film was. When it was over, I discovered my hands were sore from unconsciously gripping the armrests of my seat.
There are films that shock.....those that sicken...those that jolt you for a moment, but few that actually bother you hours, days after you see them. For me Night of the Living Dead and Alien were among that few.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2009 06:18 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was young, and even now -

Pinocchio, when the little boys were transformed into burros. Also the evil Stomboli.

The Bogey men from Laurel and Hardy's Babes in Toyland - The March of the Wooden Soldiers

The Wicked Witch of the West, from the Wizard of Oz. I used to run out of the room.

King Kong

Otherwise:
The Mummy (Karloff)- traumatized me way up until I was 16.

Dracula

Jaws

The Exorcist

The Omen

Frankenstien with Karloff. - It makes my blood go cold today.
I have a beautiful 16mm TV print with one splice.
The monster is chilling.
The entire scene where he quietly breaks the neck
of the assistant is very well done.
So much is done with no sound
that the "deafening noise" makes me cringe.

And I hated Hostel. What a disgusting sadistic waste of time - garbage of film.

About 20 years ago when the
colorized VHS Tape was released,
I had a discussion with Felix Knight
who portrayed Tom-Tom Piper in
the Laurel & Hardy Babes in Toyland (March of Wooden Soldiers).
He said that with cartoons such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,
children are desensitized to the bogy men and do not find them scary
and are not scared as we used to be as children.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2009 08:25 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael.....Yes...your comment about the silence in Frankenstein is well taken. When I was about 9 I saw Frankenstein for the first time ...on Shock Theater....I was so frightened by the monster....that I had to turn it off....after the first five minutes when the monster comes into the room the first time. I didn't turn it back on until he was being consumed in the fire at the end. I had nightmares about the monster for probably ten years after that. One thing that creeped me out about the film was the silence ...no music to subconsciously tell you , "yes, don't worry ..this is just a movie".... I remember back 20 years ago when I finally got a 16mm print of Frankenstein....I was screening it alone the first night I got it....and watching the scene when the monster is about to choke the life out of dear old Dr. Waldman..... I didn't realize how into the film I was until the air conditioning unit in the room kicked on....with a loud tap....and I nearly jumped out of my seat. The lack of music can be very effective......same for Dracula. I thought adding that music score to it a few years ago was just terrible. I really think that for suspense to build and for audience suspension of disbelief, the music ought NOT to be there in some scenes. I think it's used much to much in films today.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2009 12:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as super 8 full-length features go, I would have to agree, that "Night of the Living Dead" would be the scariest. Its one of those movies that stays with you.

About "Hostel"-

I hate these modern-day "horror" movies. Its a bunch of gratuitus gore-and-torture, with no limits or restraints. I did happen to catch "Hostel" on cable, and I agree, its terrible.

James.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 08, 2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most frightening feature released full length on Super 8 could arguably be 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. Other good candidates would include 'Alien', 'Aliens', 'Halloween' and 'The Silence of the Lambs'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 12:55 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think for the slow build up of atmosphere, to the last reel will they survive or won't they, then the F/L print of "The Fog" is my favourite frightner, and what a print too!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 03:29 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Adrian Winchester on this one. Adrian, I could have produced that list myself.

I saw 'Cannibal Holocaust' on 16mm at an outdoor cinema in St. Aygulf in the South of France. That was particularly disturbing.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 12:10 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too,THE FOG gets a regular screening each year on Halloween.

John-I bet CH was a real eye opener uncut on the big screen!!

Cheers MW

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2009 04:54 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not kidding Mark! I've yet to see the film again so will probably find it somewhat tamer now but back then my brother and I sat there spellbound - being in French we couldn't really follow much of the dialogue and therefore those 8mm sections filmed by the 'expedition' crew that went into the jungle could have been real. Apparently we were ashen faced when we got back to the hotel and I don't think we said a word to each other all the way back.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2009 09:36 AM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2009 12:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No contest for me. The Spiral Staircase with Dorothy McGuire, Ethel Barrymore, and George Brent ( released feature length on super 8 by ABC films) really freaked me out when I first saw it at age 8. It still does - that creepy music and that eye pearing out from the gloom in the basement. The whole film is set in a Gothic house just full of dread and foreboding that you feel you are suffocating. I have hated basements ever since!

-

There is no blood and guts gore in this movie, so modern teenage audiences would probably find it tame, but to me it's a realy unsettling film with great acting and direction.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 10, 2009 01:55 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this theme - has THE HAUNTING ever been released on Super 8?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention Wait Until Dark, with Audrey Hepburn.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 13, 2009 07:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael (O' Regan),

As far as I know, Robert Wise's "The Haunting" has never been released on Super 8mm. That film scared the wits out of me when I first saw it. I have it in 16mm scope.

I would agree with those who previously mentioned "Night of the Living Dead" & "Alien". I would also add the very atmospheric "Horror Hotel".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 14, 2009 08:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

The original 'The Haunting' in scope is a great film to have on 16mm! I have a rare US trailer reel that includes the trailer.

Is the 'Horror Hotel' feature the Std 8 release with the UK title 'City of the Dead' (probably a Derann release), or did anyone release it full length on Super 8?

Another notable full length and frightening release that none of us have mentioned is 'Predator'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2009 04:26 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My candidate, concerning only super 8 releases, is HOUSE of 7 CORPSES. A very scary 1973 film featuring John Carradine. I first owned the 400' digest and later acquired the NILES feature, which still has pretty good color. Those of us that are film makers can especially appreciate this film, the whole plot revolves around the making of a horror film [Smile]  -

[ June 15, 2009, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 16, 2009 01:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Thunderbird Films released "Horror Hotel" (with the US title) in Super 8mm, 4x400'.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My candidate for the scariest super 8 horror movie is Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA: take a look here. Music, athmosphere and color are absolutely PERFECT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srQfWZZVcKA

-

[ June 11, 2009, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 02, 2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"My candidate is Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA"

As this is a 'scariest Super 8 feature' thread, are you by any chance saying that there are Super 8 prints of this in Italy?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adrian. Yes, I was referring to the Italian super 8 print. I actually have a copy of it. Very, very rare.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 03, 2009 09:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to say "Poltergeist" (as I own it as well, in scope), but its more of a thriller than a horrific film.

But then, what most people would deem horrific, I basically chuckle at.

I would have to say, for sheer thrills, we have to go back to the classic hungry zombie film, "Night of the Living Dead", which we all know is available on Super 8. It had a very good "horrific" feel to it!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2009 02:20 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scariest film I have ever seen was TAXI DRIVER, though at the cinema not Super 8. My legs were wobbly when I came out. The only other later film that approached this was SEVEN.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2009 05:36 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gian-

Is that Italian print of "Susperia" in scope?? That would be really cool.

James.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC