8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Updated: New digest order information

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Updated: New digest order information
Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 07, 2014 11:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the expense of having negatives/prints made, Steve Osborne of The Reel Image is asking those who are seriously interested in getting the 31 minute Scope True Lies digest to contact him so he can place an order for the correct amount of prints. This is for Part One, which covers the first 2/3 of the film. If this proves successful, Part Two (12 minutes) will follow shortly.

Depending on the Euro exchange rate, the polyester prints of Part One will cost approximately $270.

Steve's contact information can be found here.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2014 02:10 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem here is that part 2 may never be printed and collectors may end up with only 2/3 of the film. Mabye it might be safer and cheaper to print just an extract on 400ft. Just my thoughts.

Graham S

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2014 03:56 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've expressed my intrest in this one to Steve but part one will be no good without part two so lets hope enough people want this film and make it happen.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 08, 2014 04:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this would mean,(as much as i would really love to have this film) that with both parts you could be looking at over $350 for what is a 40 minute digest. i really would like it but it is trying to convince the Mrs how i could justify the cost. With such an action packed movie no matter how well this would be edited there would be an awful lot missing. i would still prefer to look at a good extract such as the opening sequence of private ryan,(as a 600 footer). this is simply an example.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 08, 2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have to face the fact that sadly prices only go up.

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2014 05:55 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all from New Zealand [Smile] I've just been to the http://thereelimage.jimdo.com/ website and saw full length Super 8mm films are available! I presume they are new prints but maybe expensive???? but obviously worth it to the devoted Super 8mm collector.

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 08, 2014 09:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the success of 'Captain America' proved that there are still collectors who liked the idea of a well-edited digest - which also gives a sense of connecting to Super 8 history via the production of a unique version. And every credit to Steve for helping to keep new releases alive by charging what's essentially cost price!!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 09, 2014 12:30 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There does appear to be a natural break in the two parts. Part one ends with Harry rescuing his wife from the limo before it goes off the bridge and part two starts with the news that their daughter has been taken hostage.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2014 01:51 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the consideration of the best master material, editing, exceptional quality in film printing, sound striping, recording, and the cost of 35mm film, the $270.00 price is inexpensive for manufacturing a film title.

A complete used 16mm print on an eBAY auction, would probably sell for a minimum of $700.

Steve must create a package price that will cover all out of pocket costs, that will entice buyers to make a commitment and purchase the film which includes the final reel at a minimal cost.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 09, 2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what they put out at CHC new usually costs them money overall. and often they loose more too with all the costs so all the work and selling etc is effectively voluntary for the hobby.

I suppose at around $350 or about £200 ish for the 40 minutes thats about $700 or £400 for an hour and a half feature.

Compared to what people payed in the late 70`s its quite good value.

People can spend that on 4 or 5 nights out easily with nothing to show but a few trips too the loo.

Its just amazing it can happen in 2014/15 !!!

Best Mark.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2014 03:15 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes a massive outlay by those involved the negative is $3600 to start with and nonprofit being made on the first batch ,my hat goes of for steve and phil for keeping the new stuff alive in this day and age [Smile]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem I have with it is I dont like paying $270 for only 2/3 of the film without the end and credits.

Its a bit like Derann only printing the first 3 reels of Star Wars and only if this sells would they print the last reel. Yes I know times are different now and we have to accept it but there are no gurantees the last part would be printed.

Was'nt there meant to be an extra reel to Captain America, what happened to that??

Graham S

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 09, 2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I haven't seen that film but from what I understand from Doug's message, you can Watch the first part as a complete story, so even if a second part never exists in the future, you will still have a watchable film.

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2014 06:12 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes these new films are not cheap but I have told Steve to send any new release films when they come in stock as l like many just won't to keep film alive.
True Lies digest sounds great and l can't wait to get a print in my collection.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 10, 2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark, Sounds good so you will be getting a copy then? [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 18, 2014 08:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

Steve told me today that he's very close to having enough orders to justify the expense of having the lab start the first print run. A few more orders would greatly help, so if you are interested, please contact him.

Steve made one point very clear. He said that upon Part One's release, Part Two will definitely follow. No one has to worry about ending up with an incomplete digest.

Doug

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 04:31 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any reason why it is so difficult to know what new releases are available (and their price) and then to buy them ? It would be so easy to list the titles on a web page and give the possibility to order online. So far, you need to have a catlogue or a list and then send an e-mail or call. This doesn't help the sales.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom no I`m afraid I won`t. I`m not free to decide what I do or buy etc as governed by another force or entity 2 miles away.

Buy I am buying some trailers slowly from Steve when they come in so thats something.

I`ve just been asked for another £150 for something this very day !!! though asked is putting it nicely.

I really hope this release goes ahead as an absolute cracker.

If only there was a HD to super 8 option to remove that $3600 neg cost especially if you could do optical sound in the same run.

Best Mark.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always commend new releases and efforts regarding 8/16mm...but I d would not buy that...the film was mediocre.to say the least..and that is being polite. Why not get a top title...either from today or even yesterday..something like..Batman(or any of the sequels)..NOW that would be good and a 30 minute condensation could be done. Obviously I do know that it is dependant on source material, etc. Well done and I must applaud your efforts.Why not source a potential good Christmas title..now that would be a good move. Best to all...Willy Wonka with Gene Wilder would make a great 600" footer.

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 05:51 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem with older films is finding master material that is free from marks and speckles etc. For the price of the film you pay, you would want a pristine print.

Graham S

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 06:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Graham, though this is surely going to prove impossible as time goes by given that all films are Digital from their outset since 2014.

Sooner or later, the purists are going to have to accept that a Super 8 print may have to come originally from a digital source.

Thing is if you look at Toy Story, Ice Age or Chicken Run, they all screen superbly despite their digital origins and if it can bring the cost of new prints down...then bring it on is what I say!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 30, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Lies is now available from CHC but there is no price shown on the list.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrea Fastami
Junior

- posted September 07, 2015 05:35 AM      Profile for Andrea Fastami   Email Andrea Fastami   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry..any news about this release??
thanks

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 22, 2015 08:32 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrea,

An update has just been posted here.

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC