8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 44)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 10:26 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha I almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw your post David. I should post some of the transfers I did with that monster. [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 03:18 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,

I did not know that thingiverse was offering this type of service. Thank you for the link...

I think it's better for people interested to go through this type of service because I'm just a passionate and it would really take me too much post processing time.

I will not be able to answer the request. If it's for one-time troubleshooting only, of course i'ts no problem.

That's why I have shared my files for the community to help each other. maybe some can print for others?

For PCBs, If you finish the development of a V8, I will be happy and looking forward to having the shematic.

Thanks again Stan for initiating this great project and of course, have very good holidays, well deserved. [Wink] [Smile]

[ October 14, 2019, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 08:29 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Kamel. Thank you anyway. Will try the service. What type of material do you recommend? Would ABS be ok?
I will start working on the V8 when I get back from the vacation.

Mark Pollock
Junior

- posted October 14, 2019 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Pollock   Email Mark Pollock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, thanks for the link to the Thingiverse winder plans. That is the kind of thing I was looking for to rewind films.

I'm looking forward to my circuit board!

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 09:44 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 weeks holiday?

I think that is well deserved Stan

I am checking my mail box at work and looking forward to the mod and making a video of it. Big budget video [Wink]

have a good holiday Stan....

I get a week off in two weeks time, so I will be spending it with a hot soldering iron and a few feet of cine film and a video camera and some 3D bespoke prints from Kamel.

bring it on!

One question, any tips for the final setup of the camera and focusing to the film?

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 09:53 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,
For the 3D printing material, the better choice is ABS : infill 100 %, layer 0.1mm.( color as your choice). [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 11:43 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mike and Kamel.
I will be checking the forum and email every evening. Will be in good old Toronto.
For camera setup I insert the test film, actually any other frame with lots of details will work. In IC Capture i make sure that preview is turned on and ext trigger is off.
Zoom in several times to blow up the image details
(board powered - motor off - led on)
Turn the lens until you get the best focus.

Back of zoom.
Select the lower resolution where you see just the frame without edges and use the auto white balance. Also auto exposure to get you within the ballpark and then switch auto exposure off and adjust manually.
Do not use auto gain.
Set gamma as required to brighten up dark shadows and cut down on overexposed whites.
I do not touch color adjustments. Lower color saturation is better at this stage as we all know.
That is what I have based on my limited experience with this cam.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 11:47 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Stan, really helpful information.

Wish you a lovely time in Toronto.

No one would blame you for turning off your wifi and making the most of an amazing break.
Be sure to have a beer for me.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 12:05 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Mike and will have a few to your health.
BTW - I just created the FB page just for Hawkeye. Just in case this site goes down.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2377941742520210/

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 14, 2019 01:46 PM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a faulty Wolverine Pro on ebay that I want to do the Hawkeye mod on. I finally received it today and found the take-up motor was not running. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I was recommended to flash firmware by Wolverine support which didn't resolve as I expected. They also quoted $35 for a replacement motor.

I have tested the motor by connecting directly to a battery and found it's working so seems to be a fault with the driver board.

Has anyone had problems with driver board before on this model?

UPDATE:

Found mosfet at position Q5 is faulty. This has the marking of 1AM and is part # MMBT3904L.

[ October 14, 2019, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Terry Dowling ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2019 09:52 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple test clips that I took with my "monster rig".
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Chu9zXBvcEyeduds9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Usc1RDaehq4p2tXn6

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 04:15 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic Hi I wish you much enjoyment on your 3 weeks off and I am very pleased to report that the Wolverine / Hawkeye arrived safely today (Tuesday 15th Oct.). It was extremely well packaged in two boxes.
Stan you have done a marvellous job and I thank you very much.

Regards - Bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 08:42 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that Bruce. I am shipping 6 boards today. The post office was closed yesterday. I have one more complete unit to do which is no rush and that is it for now. The project is getting close to completion.
Going forward we still have a few things to look into:
- V8 board with better USB
- LEDs for the front panel
- 2K / 4K capability

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan I have done the mod but a couple of problems.

I have posted pictures and info in your FB group

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 02:05 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Is this forum in danger of collapse? Why did Stan move to FaceBook?

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 02:19 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No collapse David. I just wanted a backup site because this one goes down periodically for maintenance and now with a few kits shipped I wanted to be in touch all the time.

Shipped all 6 boards this morning. Will post the tracking info.
Mike had some issues with his kit and non-pro unit. The front panel switches are hitting the housing and if you have a non-pro using you might have to mount the front panel from the front and use spacers to provide room from the switches. I am getting ready for my vacation but will look into this tonight. In any case I will come up with the alternative front panel when I come back. The pro units do not have this issue.
Additionally the front panel it too big on non-pro units but if it is mounted with the spacers the cover should fit ok. Will not look pretty but functional. But ultimately I will redesign it to fit and send the new front panel for free to the non-pro users.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 02:51 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beauty of the FB group is that we can post very many video clips instantly, to demonstrate problems, photos can be posted in HD by the 100's without re sizing, and it is much quicker to get a reply.

I am happy to say my mod is working well, but I do have to get the correct lens mount from imaging source as the 3D printed lens mount that Kamel made for me is just a bit too deep so I can't focus properly.

The new films guides printed for me by Kamel are very nice.

other than that, very happy.

I understand some folks dislike of the FB platform, but it is possible to join and not give any details other than a name.

An empty profile with no personal details or even rogue details would allow you to at least join mine and Stans group to see what's going on.

Stans group is modding of the scanner, where as mine is more based around my 8mm scan service, but right now, talking about the mod and looking at pictures and clips.

Once my mod is complete, my group will go back to being a film scanning service

My FB group

A few observations from my mod experience today:

Pro users using the Hawkeye face plate for switches will need to buy tiny little nuts and bolts to secure it to the case.

The fan wire may come complete one day, but right now requires joining two wires together in what appears to be the wrong way round. Red to Black on one side and Black to Red on the other.

This is clear in stans original video at the forum.

I had an issue with the LED not coming on, but stan now assures us that further boards will have a short or switch option across the point I shorted today.

Setting the resolution on my camera was a little confusing to begin with, but now sorted.

I stumbled on my first test scan as I didn't follow stans exact instructions about setting the external trigger before then going to the timer and actually starting the timer, even tho the timer as such is not required, because everything is triggered by the scanner.

My very first 14 second test scan in tiff format came out at over 3Gb uncompressed but I got that down to 11mb in mp4

Image size was 2592 x 1944.

Large hard drive space is most certainly the order of the day, that said I will be testing out scans in jpg as well.

I did get a little confused with the LED power wire as I didn't see it specifically being disconnected in stans forum video, but only being reconnected to the new board.

I realised once unplugged from the old board, it dropped away behind the stepper motor un noticed.

[ October 15, 2019, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Did you try to change the support washers to play on the height because it seems to me that the imaging source lens is about the same size.
I put 2mm more to just get closer to the picture.
In this case, it would be necessary to calculate the exact size. It may not be the same size with my "pro" version (1440x1080). [Confused]

I do it again a specific design if you tell me what size you need for your unit.
I will send you a new version (free). [Smile]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 03:53 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't use any support washers when I attached the lens mount.

I screwed the lens mount with just two screws on the back of the board in to your lens mount.

The lens is screwed in to the lens mount as far it will go, as close to the image sensor as the lens mount will allow.

As I unscrew the lens it goes even further out of focus, so appears to need being closer to the sensor, not further away

-

-

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 04:03 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Mike,

I sent you a second holder lens less high. you have a 7mm metal extension tube on it.
You can try to put it back on the 22mm one to test. This will bring you closer to the frame.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 08:10 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Spice Hi, I am not a face book fan either, have never tried hard enough to figure out how to use it or how it all works. Forums is what I prefer, I know they are not as flexible.

Mike I am not sure I understand your statement:-
"I stumbled on my first test scan as I didn't follow stans exact instructions about setting the external trigger before then going to the timer and actually starting the timer even tho the timer as such is not required, because everything is triggered by the scanner".

I can not get the Hawkeye to save images to the hard drive unless I start the timer? What is the best resolution to use for capture, I am currently on 1600x1200 and using 2 second capture time.

What program is best to use for post processing all the images. Can Vegas Pro be a recommendation.

Thanks and regards - Bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 10:50 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce you have to use the timer and set it to 0 minutes 0 seconds. With that setting the picture will be saved to the hard drive each time there is a sync pulse from the stepper.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 11:43 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce I can't remember what resolution I have the capture software set to but it is the maximum size.

That is set in a drop down box along to the upper menu area of the capture software.

5am in the morning here, everything packed away, so writing this from memory for now.

In device properties menu you can set the destination folder and image format, tiff files will be ENORMOUS jpg files will have some compression but be significantly smaller.

Once you have set those, click the external trigger icon along the top of the menus.

Hover he mouse over the icons and it will tell you what each icon does.

Then go to to the timer menu and set it to zero and again I think you can check image type and destination folder here also.

Click start timer, you probably get an alert box open at that point to say something about timings, ignore it, OK it away.

at this point, nothing should happen, start the scanner up and at that point it should start saving images.

for post process I am using VirtualDub (free)
VirtualDub

You will need to also locate the divxX mp4 codec online, also free. Install that codec first from the Divx website only

once running, go to open video file and point the program at the first image in the sequence, it will the automatically load the sequentially numbered images as well.

The viewer windows left, original input screen, right, filtered output screen, can be re sized to your laptop/computer with a right click each.

in the video menu choose FRAMERATE and there select change framerate to and insert your desired fps

in the video menu choose COMPRESSION and hopefully the xvid codec will be among the choices offered.

In the FILE menu choose save as.

Once processing starts, ini the process window un check 'show input and output video options' to save computer resources chugging away while trying to render the video, go have a cup of tea.

let it do its thing, job done.
This is just my personal preference for stringing together an image sequence, there are many other ways of doing it, many video edits will do it too, I would look for youtube tutorials on your particular edit software.

That said, saving as a compressed avi file will degrade quality for post edits....

You could use a different codec, your choice.

VDub will do a myriad of other tricks too but it can be confusing, but basic image sequences are pretty straight forward.

The completed video will still need editing and cropping post VDub.

I hope that helps, and even makes sense, as mentioned, typing this from memory over a 5am coffe before heading out for a long day filming.

good luck, if you can't get the program to capture, my only suggestion is to watch stans video posted a day or two ago, step by step, the bit where he startes it running, worked for me after a couple of goes.

setting the resolution to max was the thing I forgot to set and thus not getting a proper image of the frame in the gate on my live preview

top tip see if you can find a 30 second strip of unwanted film to scan with, over and over, until you get the entire process working well, spend a couple of days perfecting your workflow, rather than trying to scan an entire reel at this early stage.

That way you can work with with jpg and or tiff files to get an idea of file sizes, quality, and the amount of storage space it will be eating up....

I may be wrong but I think tiff files are better for colour correction but they will be enormous compared to jpg.

I don't think jpg files have the same colour profile, I may be wrong, perhaps someone else has more info on this subject.

[ October 16, 2019, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2019 11:56 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
This forum predates the day Kodachrome died! It is not very intuitive (compared to newer forums). It's good to have a backup, though time online may double from fear of missing something in each location.
You need an adjustable camera mount, like a bellows on a rack. I used one for my still camera. Focusing can be front or rear. Lens too close to the film, or too close to the sensor. Stan is able to calculate the lens position, but you may be off by a tiny amount in both directions. It's kind of tedious to add or remove washers. It's also difficult to measure the distances precisely.
.......I would remove the washers/standoffs and move the lens by hand just to see where it ends up in focus. Does the lens have a threaded focus that can be adjusted? That could be a fine tuning for the film to lens distance.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2019 12:09 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel Don't worry about sending me another mount, I have already been in touch with scorpion vision to have one sent to me.

I am most grateful to you, the film guides are wonderful.
I have only used two guides on the exit of the gate, it doesn't need three guides with stans new take up motor pulse effect.

David thanks for the tips, everything will be fine once I get the right lens mount in place.

Hopefully the only think missing from this forum will be videos and images.
FB is great for visual story telling.
I will certainly try to update here, in text, as I proceed

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC