8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 43)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 07:18 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good discussion David. I found the microscope in Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Andonstar-Microscope-1920x1080p-resolution-Brilliant/dp/B078J4PJGD/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=andonstar&qid=1570795258&sr=8-4

Not sure what they use - lens sensor etc. Probably cheap.
But for that money could reuse the stand.

The 12mm lens cover only 1400 pixels horizontally once you crop the image with the 9mm camera spacers and close to 2K with 5mm spacers. But I like the 1400 pixel image better. Looks sharper.
Believe at the close range we are exceeding the lens capability.

So for 2k or 4k captures I think DSLR would be the best. The top of the front panel opening would have to be cut out

I would use my MarkII and the macro lens:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1399601-REG/venus_optics_ve2528c_laowa_25mm_f_2_8_2_5_5x.html

Obviously this would be only for selected film clips of good quality.

Using low settings during capture ensures that we are within the dynamic range of the sensor. Post-processing can enhance the frames if the original info is there... makes sense.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 11, 2019 10:00 AM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually bought the Andonstar ADSM302 microscope a while back and find it very useful for soldering small components, especially now with deteriorating eyesight!

How do microscope and macro lenses compare - do they have more distortion?

Wouldn't the shutter life be an issue using a DSLR?

[ October 11, 2019, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Terry Dowling ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 01:05 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry
As an example of DSLR cameras breaking.
I used a Canon EOS 600 camera for an 18 month time lapse project, a couple of years ago.
It was quite a new camera.
Months of daily shutter action at differing frame rates and it broke the shutter after around 15 months.
I was doing 1 frame per second for some parts and 1 frame per 20 seconds for other bits of it.
So they can die quite easily. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it......
I had it set so the mirror was up, but the shutter is very delicate on this particular camera.

I used a go pro hero as a second camera in the project, that worked much harder and flew through the process to still work today.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 05:52 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel Ikhlef Hi, thank you very much for the STL files and the comprehensive instructions, beautifully done, Stan has installed the capstan. According to tracking details just received on Friday delivery should be on the 17th October.
Just a minor not important item, all the files in the Images folder have an "*.stl" extension instead of "*.jpg".
Are the brass inserts of any particular type/style, there are so many different types available.
Thanks again Kamel
Regards - Bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 07:24 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expected the comment regarding the shutter life. It is a good point. I would probably run it in one or two small reels. Mark II can do over 8 mil shutter operations. So what is a few thousand more or less.
But anyways I am still not prepared to shell out $400 for the macro lens.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 08:12 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,
in fact it's a bug in the automation of thingiverse import files. There are even images that do not belong to me. I will see that.
FORTUNATELY, the STL files were well imported!

To rename files in numbers or change their extensions, I use the free software "antrenamer": https://antp.be/software/renamer It's very useful and easy to use. [Smile]

BTW: For the small brass inserts, I use those for plastic hot pose. : http://eshop-simaf.com/fr/42-insert-pose-a-chaud?p=2
or Kit on Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brass+insert&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 10:11 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried the new motor mount screws Kamel. The old ones were binding the rotor.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2019 05:39 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Stan, Not yet found with the right thread. [Confused]
I bought a whole kit of screws of all sizes for computer.
I have to try several to find the right size. I'm going to watch this weekend.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2019 05:41 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,

I have a new 3D printer that I have to modify. It takes me a lot of time ... And at the same time I'm learning electronics that fascinates me.

So these days, I have a little neglected the telecine project.
But I can not wait to digitize my films... I really have a lot of reels, several years of family fS8 Movies, some of which my children have never seen! (... And my children are Adults now).

Scan a few for Christmas it would be good but time passes so quickly! ... Otherwise it will be for Easter!... [Smile]

About electronics, Stan, out of curiosity, can I add the Capacity components (647-UMA1H010MDD1TP, C322C104K5R5TA7303)
on the PCB v6 that you sent me.
Is it better to put them? (I have about ten in advance in my workshop).
What exactly their utility in this case? They have been removed on version7.
I continue my learning by trying to understand. [Wink] [Smile]

[ October 12, 2019, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2019 09:13 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something to look forward to Kamel. I have several reels as well that I scanned before using my DSLR setup and will be interesting to compare the results.
I added the capacitors to suppress the noise. The larger electrolytic is used to cut the 50/60 Hz AC noise down and the smaller ceramic cap cuts the high freq noise because electrolytic caps are not good for that.
But since the camera is on a separate USB supply I realized that these components were not required. Just extra work and cost.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2019 09:50 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Stan, for these educational explanations...
Still a few months or years to be comfortable with this world of electronics !. [Wink]
For the idea of ​​rewinding this is already planned, should it reflash the msp430 with a new code? I do not know where your project is? it's done, or it's underway, I guess you've been so busy lately! [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2019 12:09 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is Kamel:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJfu-3pJaA7VXM_7445shjaj-DCgsRf6

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Stan . [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 10:03 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any time Kamel.
Have a question for you.
Which 3D print service would you recommend? Thingiverse have only a few options for material.
Additionally, you have two types of rollers - short and long. Which ones do you use?

Boards update:
Finally got my solder [Smile] Finished all 5 boards and tested one of them. Four to be tested today... and then I am basically done. Ahh yes have one order for a complete unit but that one is no rush. Maybe I will do the V8 version of the board for that one. Add power led, better usb connection and the sound chip (scratch that one)... And yes, new front panel.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 10:58 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All being well, my board will arrive this week, I am pretty much set to go.
Looking forward to an updated instruction pdf....
I have started the mod video, complete with a hint of James Bond music.
All being well, in a couple of weeks, I hope to be scanning in Hawkeye.......
You bit off a big bit of cake Stan, now sending boards and machines around the planet...
I bet you didn't see that coming the day you started to pull a go pro apart....... [Eek!]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 12:20 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha James Bond music. Awesome.
No, never even dreamed that we would get here.
Here is the instruction video Mike. Feel free to delete my boring narration and add some cool music with some text and reuse as much as you need.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PboRDC7Y6MuP3a498

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 01:30 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the video Stan, once I get a beer I will sit and watch with interest.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 02:31 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A beer is a must.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 02:47 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great video, not easy holding a cam and working....

I would be grateful for a wiring diagram for the switches and associated wiring. please.

Hand drawn is fine.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 03:12 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go Mike:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BDiEVDEqZ1SMcxyg6

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely, thanks Stan. Much appreciated.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 04:01 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any time Mike.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 05:56 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,

I did not really understand your question. You are looking for a 3D printing service ?.

I think, thingiverse is just a file sharing web platform. I do not know if they offer a printing service. (I'm going to look at this) ...

But, If you need small amounts of parts for your personal need, I can help you out for free, you have helped me a lot already. [Smile]

For the pulleys : the short pulley is only used if there is no capstan and it is fitted in place of the toothed pulley if not used. the long pulleys (4 for the pro version are all used - 3 for Base version).

The one that is the same size as the capstan Pulley (but smooth without the teeth) is just for testing without removing the Motor. It can also be used. both work (toothed or smoothed).

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 07:31 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the answers Kamel. Thingiverse also offers printing service:
https://printathing.com/order/?thingiverse=3891738

I actually have an order for the complete machine including the capstan. So if you could quote me the price for printing I will just pass along the cost to the buyer. Other people may be interested as well.

One more thing.
I have a stash of older boards:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L7fSJdbGce8jHHBV7

The blank boards are free. Hate to toss them out.
The populated boards I thought I would ask around $30 plus shipping or BO just to recover some of the material cost. I can test them. I plan a 3 week vacation so maybe after that. But if interested, add your name to the spreadsheet and state what you want.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ulozLsHAFLXWV3mcBSc-CuQRRfOLX6nDC3h63EVo9Q/edit?usp=sharing

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2019 08:43 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW. Just finished binge reading this thread up to the present. Not since I watched the series 24 have I been so driven to keep reading/watching. This thread could make a great audio book.
After typing for half an hour I advise others to not to type into the reply box. Wright comments elswhere and save often. When done copy and paste!

Stan, Mike, and Kamel This may be a common occurance these days, but THINK ABOUT IT. This project, the three of you have been driving is now, more and more, as it reaches the finishline a GLOBAL event!!?? People from all over the world are interested and offering support.

Kamel It was difficult to find you printables on thingyverse. I have them now. I'll wait for the final go before printing. I also found this.
 -
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2608936

For those who want to use large reels. I have 400, 600, and 1200 foot reels. I think weight may prohibit the 1200. I also have an editor/viewer with rewinds, but I will print these stantions and belt driven takeup, or order it printed. Thingyverse offers user printers, I believe they are cheaper than commercial prints.

Stan has a book on Amazon! 9 years old but I'm going to buy it. Great coffee table book after this adventure. AND I conceed the long lens award to Stan from his picture with the 3 extension tubes, a 100mm macro and various connectors to his projector. I am humbled! Let me repost that picture.
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC