8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 41)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2019 07:48 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Terry,
Looks like it works based on a short test. The power supplies have all same numbers except that the one that needs the fix has the following number on the back of the board:
E47G197
The good one has:
E47S197

|  IP: Logged

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 01, 2019 04:43 AM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stan will check when I receive it.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 08:59 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been out to buy the switches today, complete with color coding.

Fancy pants huh?

I am lucky to have a model builders store 5 mins away.

It's an absolute delight of just about any component you could ask for.

I did find a nice little aluminium sheet while there, I could use to make a face plate, but

Stan Do you think I could buy the face plate from you to mount the switches?

-

Terry Dowling, Hi. I have utmost faith in VanEck and have read a lot about film guard.

I just wanted something that will take the finger prints and dust off of my films, pre scan.

In 40 years they have never been cleaned, my finger prints all over them without doubt....

A decent scan means a wipe clean with something at least.

That's after I have donned my cotton gloves and been through every splice and sprocket.

It was just an easy choice, I had watched a few VanEck youtube videos during the day, got home from work, went to the VanEck website and clicked 'purchase now'

Today it is in the post, on it's way...Job Done....

I understand film guard also lubricates for smoother projection, that is not important to me as my reels are unlikely to ever be projected again, even tho I have a nice clean Sankyo 500 projector, I also gather it's not an easy thing to get hold of, so rather than begin an email trail, VanEck seemed a simple solution...

I am quite sure it will clean my film with no problem.

[ October 01, 2019, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 01, 2019 09:48 AM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that's good to know about Van Eck and film cleaner. I know some of my film has quite a bit of scratches and heard that FilmGuard can help cover these up. Also some film has become stuck together so hopefully can be saved.

I have actually been looking for a film rewinder and came across this on Van Eck website https://shop.van-eck.net/RW-0062.html - it looks like it does a good job in his YouTube videos..

I see you mentioned previously about manual film rewinding - are there any you can recommend?

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 09:52 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry

249 euros is way too much for me and my dozen reels.

I think a typical cine viewer is sufficient for rewinding, that's what I use. Plenty of viewers on ebay for much less.

I guess it depends on how much you would use the re winders to justify the high price.

That's serious money, almost the price of a wolverine.

There are scratches on my film for sure, I will have to live with that but I don't mind, I think it adds to the era of the film, like the clicks and pops on my records when I play them.

Edit, Oh, I see they do a cheaper version too, further down the page, £70 is still a fair bit of cash to rewind film, a cine viewer is all I need.....

I also have a couple of projectors I can call on for rewinding or spooling.

[ October 01, 2019, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 10:29 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I do have one to two spare. The cost is $4 for qty 5 plus $16 shipping from the vendor. So $20 divide by qty 5 is $4 per board. Sooo the beer is on you [Smile]
I will just put it in an envelope with global stamp... should be ok.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 10:36 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan there is no question that once I do have your paypal I will be sending you enough for a couple of beers....

Thank You so much.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 10:42 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Stan did it! ... I was hoping it worked. Well, I'm very very happy to see your video, Stan it's really amazing. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
I have not tested yet as far as you (I did not know how to connect the capstan 6 wires) and I have no spare parts for me, I must print again. in France they say "cobbler badly shod". LOL.
Congratulations Stan, I'm following you ... [Wink]

Mike,a bit of fantasy that feels good, it's the same as my RGB leds of colors!

Terry, as Stan has validated. I will make the 3D files available as soon as possible.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 10:50 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remiss of me not to congratulate Stan on the capstan video.
It really is very special......

I have chosen not to go this route, I am going to make life difficult for myself and check every foot of film for sprocket damage and repair where possible or edit out.

Good luck with the printing Kamel

My coloured switches will make a huge difference to the scan quality [Smile] [Smile] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 10:53 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Ha! Me too with my switches and colored leds ! [Wink]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 11:20 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both. Maybe illuminated RGB switches - never mind...
I am rethinking the USB connection. I think I will just use a 90 degree mini plug and solder it onto the USB pads on the V7 board. The adapters are too much trouble. The micro to mini cables do not work because they are wired for specific applications that do not work with imagingsource camera.

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 01, 2019 11:52 AM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, thanks yes it is expensive and probably better for professionals or people who deal with 9.5mm and 16mm as well. I only have 8mm so going pick up a cine viewer on ebay as suggested.

Kamel, thank you look forward to printing this. Hope my cheap 3d printer will be good enough!

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 05:06 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,
can we make a specific USB cable angled to Picoblade connector.
I do not know if it's possible, just an idea. [Confused]

-

BTW : Here the link for My 3D Printed Design https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3891738

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 09:34 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is possible Kamel. Actually it does not have to be picoblade. Any connector will do, as long as we can get the right angle mini (camera side). Should get something that can be easily soldered.
In the meantime here is my hardwired solution. It works.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 02, 2019 07:16 AM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel, thank you very much for sharing this! BTW what design software do you use?

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2019 08:46 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,
For my 3d design files, i promised ! [Smile]
I work with Design spark mechanical free version. it's great software, very easy. Have fun !

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2019 10:30 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Loving your work.
That looks like a very elegant solution.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really appreciate you support Mike.
BTW - mailed you the front board today via regular mail. Hope you get it soon.
Also mailed the lens to Ray.
There is another USB solution in the works. Board V8.
This cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DBTPE6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?i e=UTF8&psc=1

Change USB micro to USB type A on the board:
 -

Much easier to solder.

The front panel will need a cutout for the cable:
 -

Maybe Kamel can design a small grooved insert that could be inserted from the bottom to cover the slot.
The insert can be indented on the top to fit the cable. Black color.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2019 01:21 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many Thanks Stan

It seems the pigeon takes around 10 days to fly here, so I look forward to that face plate.

Then it's just the circuit board and I am good to go.

My gloves and film cleaner should arrive by the end of the week, so I have a couple of weeks to spend pottering around with rewind arms and film cement, and get my reels wound down to some spare 200's ready for the first modded scan.

Once the circuit board is on the way, please do let me have a paypal address in a pm ... cheers.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2019 01:38 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! better and better, Stan ... Very good idea (it's better than the wiring weld hack that I had thought of!)... [Confused] [Smile]

For the Guide cap of the USB hole, no problem, I will do the 3D design with pleasure.

I will also rehabilitate the design of the front cover, because I'm planning a guide to slide a fan to cool the camera board.

BTW: Would it be possible to have the v8 scheme?

Brian Lamm
Junior

- posted October 02, 2019 04:58 PM      Profile for Brian Lamm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very interested in this project as I'm trying to convert and restore film for a documentary I'm producing. I would be interested in purchasing a conversion kit for my Wolverine Pro once this project is complete with a finished project.

--------------------
Currently producing “Kings Island: 50 Years of Memories”

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2019 08:15 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mike and Kamel.
Here is the schematic Kamel. It is not complete yet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1praEMe_AoO7DuQ9DPPmhV4zVfjWjc-Se/view?usp=sharing

Brian, can you please add your name to the list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ulozLsHAFLXWV3mcBSc-CuQRRfOLX6nDC3h63EVo9Q/edit?usp=sharing

Do you need the kit soon?

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2019 05:26 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stan for the V8 scheme, but I'm not experienced enough to complete the V8... [Confused]

I will wait for your finished version, it will be much safer... [Smile]
I am like a student and his teacher, I try to understand and learn, I am always in a hurry and curious to see the upgrades that you develop.

There, I have just received a new extruder (Bondtech) for my 3D printer and a new all metal nozzle. this will allow me to print new materials (rubber, elastic, flexible filament, and also filaments loaded with aluminum, brass or copper, stone, wood ...) This opens up new perspectives. A wooden front cover telecine?(LOL).

You had mentioned the possibility of adding a 3trd speed of 1 frame /sec. Is this expected or there are too many constraints?

Must I plan an additional RVB led (it's soon Christmas, I'm planning a string of led on the new telecine !). [Wink] [Smile]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2019 08:06 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel Your printing continues to amaze me.
Christmas lights? why not!

Maybe some christmas music too... a loudspeaker built in to the scanner? Perhaps not.....

My film cleaner and cotton gloves arrived today, so while I wait for my circuit board and face plate, I can spend my free time going through my own reels checking splices and perfs.

I will save the film clean until immediately prior to scanning

-

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2019 09:19 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are getting there fast Mike. I started assembling the boards. So, that will keep my evenings busy for a whole week.
Kamel, I have to wait for the type A connector and cable to come it to verify the connection before I finalize the schematic and layout.
So, here is the plan for the V8 board:
- USB solderless connection to the back cover
- connection and resistors for the RGB led
- capstan motor connector (possibly)
- sound generator (ha ha ha)
Ohhh, almost forgot. The 2 capstan motor screws are too long Kamel. I had to install a thin washer between the motor and the mounting bracket that you designed. Without it, the rotor touches the screws.

At this point the kit includes the following:
- populated V7 board
- switches with connectors installed
- camera spacers and screws
- front panel
- usb cable hardwired to the board

No capstan is provided with the kit. The capstan will be installed if the complete scanner is ordered.

Merv, you put your name on the list. It would be a good idea if you just try the V7 board to see how it fits in the unit since you have the belt version. We may need another version for the belt driven units.
You can order the board directly from the supplier.

Download the gerber:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DPQeBGjiFPIaBIrnbY23_mQ3IPaYmEVN/view?usp=sharing

Go to:
https://jlcpcb.com/

Click on "Quote Now", then click on
"Add you gerber file"
and point on the downloaded zip file and then proceed with the order.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC