8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 47)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2019 03:30 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, David...
If there is no IRCut Block, the scans are not as good with a magenta effect by zones on the images.
To proscribe for what one wishes to do with the best possible quality of digitization !...
Stan had already mentioned this topic and did many tests with and without IRCut...
That's why, based on Stan's experiences, it's better to have an IR block on the lens.
I'm looking for a real macro lens that has a very low distortion.
This one looks good to me. With IRCut, it costs 57 pounds, + 40 pounds for shipping to france + fees and VAT. (4/6 weeks of delay).
It's a 2/3" (bigger the imaging source sensor) that should go for the cover of the sensor.
I will think before ordering.

Cameras commons sensors and lens sizes covers :

-

|  IP: Logged

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2019 06:52 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IR (infra red cut filter) to reduce some artifacts that are generated by the LED infrared spectrum. The lens is not designed for it and will cause degraded image.

Good suggestions on takeup. Will try that plus more when I get back. The idea is that the claw pushes the film into a loose loop of some sort. The takeup spools it by pulling on it but never gets to the point where the film is tight. If we can get to sync that up so that the loose loop is never too long or too tight then we Would have a winner I think. But the proof is in the pudding.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2019 08:53 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That all makes sense, the IR information.

I find myself with an afternoon off, so I am re scanning the Navy reel I did at the weekend, with different camera settings.
Hopefully later today I can re post a different example.

I think it would be really good to slow down the take up advance, to a point where a loop is present, it doesn't need to be wound tightly on to the take up, and of course, it doesn't want to hang so much it touches the work surface, it just needs taking up, very gently, so at least it is not snaking on the floor.

That may have to be different for the 720 scanner with 200ft reels and the Pro version which does 400ft reels......

A decent rewind is all that is needed, and for me, that is achieved with a cine viewer......

As mentioned, being able to stop the scanner and copy off the images thus far, is a great bonus.

Part way thro a reel, stop the scan, copy off the images to a USB to take to another laptop, and continue the scan. Genius.

So here is this afternoons indication as to whether I have the camera settings good or rubbish.

3.51Gb of tiff images, in to VDub. crop, 15ips and h264 to 63mb. Super 8

(could do with four more pixels off the bottom crop)

Tuesday test scan

I have just worked out why a reel I scanned recently was jumping all over the place

Stan suggested I had the switch for Super 8 set to Standard 8

it wasn't that....It did make me wonder...

It turns out that it was the timer.

The procedure for scanning is to to set live view.
Make it look nice...
Timer setting menu, image type, folder etc etc.
Set the timer settings to zero.
Then set external trigger.
Then start the timer.
Then start the scanner

The jumpy reel was because

I set live preview
Timer settings to zero
Forgot to set external trigger, but started the timer.

So the software is merrily snapping away as fast it as it can on zero timing, regardless of the film advancing thro the gate.

I have just done it again.... but this time, realised what I had done.

Problem solved....don't forget to activate external trigger before starting the timer...

The tell tale clue to this basic human error is to keep an eye on the live preview during a scan.

If you see the film 'dragging' itself through the live preview, you forgot to set the external trigger.

If you just see static frames in the live preview, it's all good.....

Here is the full afternoon scan.

HMS Ganges by Colin Lowe.
8.41Gb of 2183 tiff images. 1300x948 h264

VirtualDub crop took 10 mins and down to 151mb
10 mins on an i5 windows 8 laptop.

I forgot to screenshot the camera settings again...

Monday scan

[ October 22, 2019, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2019 01:18 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
I didn't want to offer any suggestions as I didn't know if any of the exposure extreme was coming from the film. Looks a lot better now because the highlights are not blown out. If you could boost the shadows (there many names for the same thing) shadows, midtones, gamma, less contrast, or whatever your software calls it, exposure could look great.

For a moment, I forgot I was watching a film and thought, "Wow this dirt is very realistic!". It's from watching so many simulated film artifacts used for video.

Kamel
I have been thinking of a C mount lens in hopes of using cropfactor to enlarge the image. So if M12 is available for 1" and 2/3" sensors, that should also work? I am surprised at the cost. I remember looking at some M12 lenses and they were less than $25. Now, I looked again and it's true.They are low megapixel rated.
 -
http://www.m12lenses.com/category-s/74.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=74&show=300&page=1

News of the capstan tests? I have printed the cog wheel and it does seem not fit 8mm or S8mm. That could be that my printer is off scale. Is it intended for 8mm or for both?

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2019 04:03 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am always open to suggestion.

It won't be the last time you see this reel

Some of my early scan tests on not ideal footage.

This reel has extreme daylight in it, so there will be quite a few more scans of this reel.

What I am trying to do is get is as near to perfect that I am happy with, in the camera settings.

I would like to do post, but I don't really have the computer resources for DV resolve, which is what the Hawkeye scans deserve.

I wish I did.
Happy with where I am right now.

That said, I think I need a color grading monitor now

Hawkeye v wolverine

[ October 23, 2019, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Doug Maxwell
Junior

- posted October 22, 2019 10:35 PM      Profile for Doug Maxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good rule of thumb with digital photography is that if it's overexposed, the information is gone. But, if it's dark, the information is there and can be brightened up. Granted, with a scan of 8mm film, its only going to be as good as the source image. Depending on what you are using for post production, it will be interesting to experiment with levels. Some rolls might require a darker scan to compensate for bright scenes and the darker images will have to be adjusted to match.

Long story longer... do not fear the darkness. =)

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 05:06 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an effort to better see the scan on a more reliable screen, I have changed capture computer to my Revo.

It has HDMI out to my Sony tv so perhaps I can see things with a more reliable image... we shall see later today.

My old fujitsu latop works very well, but the lcd screen is a pile of pants for contrast and colour definition

Scanning the Aircraft Carrier footage again today, that I did a day or two ago, that looked awful.

Perhaps having a better preview screen will allow me to adjust things with more meaning, we shall find out this evening...

I have also purchased 128Gb memory card for the scans.

I am not scanning to a hard drive, I think it makes more sense to scan images straight to card, less wear on a hard drive, and the files are all ready to move to another machine immediately, rather than having to copy them to card after a scan.

I use two computers, one for the scan, one for the processing.
that way my scanning continues while faffing about with VirtualDub etc.

I have been using a 32Gb card but it is filling up all too fast with tiff images.

With a 50ft reel coming out 10Gb plus, a 128Gb card should see me ok for a 400ft reel....

Here is a sample of todays scan:
4930 tiff images. 1600x1200 19.2Gb

Processed in VirtualDub. 20 mins@ 4.5fps high priority processing thread. h264 now down to 294Mb for viewing.

Todays scan test. HMS Ark Royal 1978

One issue this morning, the 'partial scan' setting wouldn't remember it's setting for some reason, thus you see a few frames shift where I have stopped the scan to make an adjustment, and the partial scan area was getting forgotten.

Must look in to that, It didn't happen when I used the laptop.

The one outstanding thing with this method of scanning is that if you pause the video you get a rock solid still, rather than the wolverine ghosting blurred still frame.

[ October 23, 2019, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 10:52 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
What speed do you use for your scans? (2im / s or 4im / sec).
Frames will have time to register on an SD card or on a hard drive?
You are farther than me in your tests! Thank you for sharing experiences.

For me the best is to finish a crop in 1440x1080 for the HD. But I have not found the right starting format to crop the maximum of the scanned frame. As soon as I can I will resume my tests.

BTW : the new 3D design Capstan Motor mount is finished (new location to test)...

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 11:37 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Todays scanning produced a total of 9121 tiff images at 1600x1200 resolution. 34.7Gb

That was around 190ft super 8

Kamel I am scanning at 1600x1200 and cropping to 1330x930 in VirtualDub, to the edges of the frame.

This is not exact, but it looks nice enough for me online.

I am using the faster scan speed and my old Revo computer with
windows 7 is writing to a memory card like a champion!

It is not resource heavy writing image files one at a time.

Also, the camera is not getting hot in a way that concerns me, after 6 hours scan time.

My second scan today it's not 'perfect' but I am very very happy where I am at in the process so far.

[ October 23, 2019, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 12:07 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
What speed do you use for your scans? (2im / s or 4im / sec).
Frames will have time to register on an SD card or on a hard drive?

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 12:09 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the fast speed.
No problem writing image files to a card with windows 7

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike for your tests sharing.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did forget to check the bitrate settings on the h264 export.
Today i used the default 9057kbps.
It could do with being just a little bit higher.
11kbps would be better I think.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 03:28 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
I Have designed 3D toothed pulley for Super 8 only. I don't have normal 8 film for testing. I need to know the size and distance tooth.
Personally I will not need it. If anyone wants to do it ...

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 05:52 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel
Good to know the capstan is S8 only. I have both 8 & S8 but I can't say if any of those have torn sprockets. I though it was a good idea. It might work for both formats, the cogs are small enough to catch on 8mm, it would only take a couple of sprockets get the film moving again. I'll test that later. If there are no more changes to the capstan, I'll order the motor and use the parts from Thingyverse. I ordered a soldering iron, that will be here in a couple of days. That is to install the threaded inserts into the pulleys.Those are priceless.

Lets wait for more demand before designing a capstan for 8mm. There would be another problem, how to easily change 8 to S8 with out opening the back.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 07:13 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to all with IC Capture 2.4 I have been capturing one 3.5 minute super 8 reel at 2 second intervals, over several days, trying various settings and have had no problems until enabling Wide Dynamic Range.

In order to reduce blown out highlights I changed exposure to 200 (makes the capture darker and leaves more detail in the lighter areas).

To compensate for the darker captures, under Device Properties and the WDR tab, I enabled Tone Mapping "Auto" and set intensity to -0.64. Global Brightness Factor was on 0.00.

Capturing at 2 second intervals with the above settings caused strange behavour, Images seemed to contain half to two thirds of the new or next frame and the remainder of the frame was from the previous frame capture, causing a sort of rip/split in the frame which was made up of parts of two frames.

Going to 4 second captures cured this behavour, I am assuming there must be more processing time required but where, in the capture camera board or the capture software on the computer? The computer processor is never under any stress (Intel i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz) and saving to internal HDD is fast.

Thanks for your sharing, regards - Bruce

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2019 12:48 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,
That was my question to Mike. I think that the more we will test high resolutions, higher quality or parameters that require calculations, the longer the scan time will be (the larger a picture is, the longer it will take to save on the hard disk.
For some scenes it will be useful to scan at 4 sec and others at 2 sec... For the 4K, in my opinion it will be 4sec, but I have not tested yet...

David,
For the normal 8mm, it will be enough to unscrew the pulley front and change the middle toothed pulley (it's very easy and I had already planned this)... No need to open the telecine unit !
We just need to design a new tpulley N8 with the pitch of the teeth corresponding to the N8) . I could not do it because I do not have the movie N8 for testing (My S8 toothed pulley has hole steps to 4.235 mm). [Confused]

BTW: It seems that the perforations of the N8 film are much larger than that of the S8, so they will be easier to design and print.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2019 03:36 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic Hi sorry to bother you on your holiday (no need to reply if you do not want to), the Wolverine capstan drive used to pulse with every frame movement just like the take up real, today for some reason it only pulses every third frame movement, yet the take up real continues as normal. This cause the frames locations to be very irregular, worse than Mike's example video. Could this be a firmware problem, where the program has become corrupt?
Regards - Bruce

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2019 08:29 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce my example of jumping frames was because I started the timer without setting the external trigger in the capture software first.

I have done this a couple of times now.

Software merrily taking photos on zero timing regardless of the film thro' the gate.

Easy to spot now I know, the film 'drags' itself thro the live preview in this instance.

Kamel is this any help to you

-

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2019 09:09 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike, but I need to know the hole regular 8 size.
I don't find for the moment (on google, my friend)...

BTw: It seems that I already had the information in my docs stored on my computer. [Roll Eyes]

-

The Holes sizes are : 1,23mmx1.8mm - the steps = 3.81mm.
There is also a larger offset from the left edge of the filmstrip (0.91).

I can design the pulley, I will share it but I will not be able to test on a real regular 8 film. Simply wrap the film on the pulley manually to check if the teeth are centered in the holes of the film.

I think, the Regular 8 Pulley will finished this week-end. I will post it on thingiverse.

-

It will be a little smaller that S8 Pulley (12 claws or identical teeth but much wider, see picture below).

-

[ October 24, 2019, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2019 06:23 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, the capstan should not be pulsing if the film is driving it because the sensor at the back of the motor sends the pulses to the controller and as long as the pulses are present the capstan should not be active. If for any reason the pulses t
Are not present the capstan will pulse once every 10 seconds roughly.

So, make sure that the film is engaging the capstan and not slipping. Check the wiring from the motor to the board. The controller failure is highly unlikely. These are very sturdy ICs and rarely fail or get corrupted unless you are keying a 100w transmitter next to it (my radio experience at Motorola).
Also there may be a motor sensor failure. This is a new motor but you never know.
Hope this helps.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2019 02:21 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic thanks for the reply, it has helped to find the problem. After taking a closer look at what is happening sequentially, I have become aware that the film transport mechanism (the small pin that moves up and down, forward backwards) is not always engaging with the holes in the super 8 film (checked that it is set for S8). It is therefore, most of the time, only feeding the film at a second attempt and as you explained that is why the capstan motor is activating and of course the frames are therefore very erratically positioned.

Now a matter of trying to establish why the pin is not engaging every time and just sliding along the underside of the film.

Thanks and Regards - Bruce

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2019 05:34 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,
It may be the door closing flap that blocks the movie in his hallway. there are small springs underneath to properly press the film down ?!? I hope this will help.

BTW: I will upload the new Regular 8 toothed pulley today on thingiverse.
If someone tests it, I would like to know if it works because I do not have an regular8 movie.

I updated the new Capstan Motor mount, a new Camera mount and added a pdf Documentation.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3891738

[ October 25, 2019, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2019 08:53 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always set my gate so that the claw is down to make threading the film under the two little tags a bit easier.

There are two screws that can be unscrewed half a turn, to increase the downward pressure on the film in the gate.

Kamel I should know better than to try and post a google image of engineering things that I know nothing about [Big Grin] [Razz]

IC Capture software problem

I set up a partial scan area and click update in the settings of partial scan and then OK.

do a scan

stop the timer, turn off external trigger and go to adjust a colour setting in live view, and IC Capture does not remember the partial scan setting, so the frame jumps out of position as I turn off external trigger.

it also does not seem to remember auto white balance or auto exposure.

Any ideas? It was rock solid on my fujitsu windows 8, on my Revo windows 7 this seems to happen.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2019 10:50 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
It always helps and it has given me the path to look in my computer my documentations. So always useful!... [Wink] And thanks for all the tests of the mod, I follow that with a lot of interest [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC