8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 20, 2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Friday The 13th The Final Chapter one of the teens is running an Eiki and watching Cine Art nudie movies. A 2000' reels runs out. When he walks up to the screen and turns around Jason stabs him in the back! Through the back of the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 20, 2010 10:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way back when I was in my early teens Jim Hutton starred in the Ellery Queen TV mystery series. I remember one episode where the murderer was a projectionist and Ellery Queen busted his alibi because he'd accidentally let the feature he was showing run past a reel change while he was doing the deed. From this goof they were able to figure out he wasn't up in the booth during the murder.

Beyond the idea that crime doesn't pay I learned from this about the circular mark appearing on screen just before a reel change, and until I actually owned a feature on multiple reels of film about 30 years later I remembered it too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2010 07:16 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "Cat and the Canary" 1978 the beneficiaries of a will hear it read via a film of their dead relative via projection.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 21, 2010 11:56 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

That sounds very similar to the Columbo episode "Make Me a Perfect Murder", where Trish Van Devere's alibi of changing reels in the projection booth doesn't fool the Lieutenant. The cue marks give her away.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2010 01:14 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could have been Columbo: 30+ years on the Memory sometimes blends things together!

--------------------

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2010 01:26 AM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brewsters millions if i remember as brewsters distant relative strikes a deal with him to spend all the cash for his big inheritance.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 26, 2010 06:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always remember this one "Last Action Hero" can anyone tell me if those scenes were filmed on a set or in a real theatre, it looks real to me [Wink] ....oh... not a bad movie either good cast.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
Graham. [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 26, 2010 07:13 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 26, 2010 10:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although "Cinema Paradiso" has been mentioned I thought I might add this neat photo.
 -

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2010 06:23 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remembered a Swedish film, Här har du ditt liv -1966, (Here's Your Life - US title).
It is set in circa 1910-20, ant the main caracter, among other professions, have a stint as, at first, a travelling showman with a handcranked projector, and later at a real cinema with a electrically driven projector, a point that is made a big fuzz about.
This is a really good movie and I can reccoment it, but bevare, find the original and NOT the US version. The latter is 110 minutes while the original is 169 minutes long.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060529/combined

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2010 12:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Apollo 13 there is a scene at the very end where Jim Lovell walks across the carrier deck and passes a Navy crewman with what I think is a Bell and Howell Super-8 camera.

-always torques me off because he's one-handing it! C'mon guy! It could be the most interesting footage you'll ever shoot: use both hands!

(Not a complete surprise: Ron Howard's first films were Super-8.)

What's even more interesting about that scene is when Jim Lovell as played by Tom Hanks shakes hands with the ship's Captain, as played by the real Jim Lovell. (-nice touch!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 31, 2010 06:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this classic film brings back memories [Wink]
 -
 -
 -
Margaret Rutherford
 -
Peter Sellers, Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers.
[Smile]

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add one more to the list [Roll Eyes]
In the web series BACKWASH they use a projector in chapter 9
The completely silly, 3 stooges series can be seen on Crackle.com

http://www.crackle.com/c/Backwash/Survival/2482897/

I only found the series because the opening chapters were filmed in my small town in Nevada (which they claimed to be in So.Cal. LOL)

[ August 10, 2011, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Tuell ]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2011 11:56 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
theres a episode of alf on season 3 were there showing the kids movies from woodstock [Smile]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2011 12:32 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this thread for so many reasons - here are a list of some films I remember seeing either a projector or a screening room with an "invisible" projector.

- Play It Again Sam
 -

This is one of my favorite films, I have it on 16mm and he does have a projector all loaded up with a 1600' reel in his apartment. This is a shot of Allen with Bogey discussing women, next to his film collection. I bet there is an Igmar Bergman in there somewhere. The film begins with Allen watching Casablanca at a movie theater. Later he personally screens a film for Diane Keaton where we see another projector that he turns on and walks away from. (I would never do that - unless I had to go to the bathroom!)

Next is 'The Candidate' with Robert Redford - in a scene where they are watching political endorsements in an office - we see a Filmosound getting turned off - there is a big stack of films they are going through, looking for material to edit together. There is also a nice Moviola in the film that they use to do the editing for their own political endorsed ads.

I'll post a picture of that scene soon - I could not find one online.

- Raging Bull
 -

Another of my favorite films, Raging Bull has beautiful Kodachrome pictures shot by Martin Scorsese for a wedding montage. Above we see how there is an "imaginary" projector running this film - this may be symbolic of our mind!

We also get the same effect when we see the opening sequence to one of my favorite television shows - 'The Wonder Years'
 -

Just who is running this imaginary projector? It's always Dad, of course! However, some of my favorite scenes in movies are of the characters of the films actually going to the movies! These immediately come to my mind as most memorable (aside form the many Woody Allen films):

- Summer of '42
 -

In this coming of age film the kids go blind dates to see Bette Davis in 'Now, Voyager'. The scene begins in the lobby but, quickly they cut to the "imaginary" projector, panning over to the big screen. Something about a movie-within-a movie-makes the plot momentarily mystical.

- A Clockwork Orange
 -

Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' features a clip from 'Summer of '42' while a television is on in the lobby of the hotel. A few years before that films release, we see this image of Malcom McDowell as 'Alex' "watching" a 16mm propaganda film to re-sensitize him to ultra-violence is among the most disturbing I have ever seen. I wish there was a Super 8 release of this film.

Finally, there is The Shawshank Redemption
 -

This is one of the only "buddy' films I like. I use to watch it many times on VHS, the scene in the theater where they watch 'Gilda' is among my favorites. If there was only a moment of escape from prison of the mind, films was the way to do it. Nothing like an unobtainable pretty lady glowing right in front of you.

-

[ August 12, 2011, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Santana ]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 12:14 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That clockwork orange scene ALWAYS makes me shiver. I can't imagine having my eyes propped open and in a straight jacket...let alone having to do take after take after take to get it just right. Scenes like that would be the only plus side to computer generated effects IMHO. [Eek!]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 09:08 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok here one not from a movie but a music video the is from greg khins video i lost in jeopardy can anyone tell what kind of jector this is?
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 04:43 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Vacation: The scene where Clark Griswold is watching home movies in the attic.

Inglourious Basterds: Several scenes in the projection booth of the theater.

Super 8: The kids watching their film in the bedroom.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2011 07:59 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hellzapoppin' (1941) - Shemp Howard is a theatre projectionist running what appear to be 35mm Motograph projectors. This is one of the funniest feature films I have ever seen.

Night Of The Comet - A number of scenes is a projection room.

Targets - The drive-in projection room. Sniper kill projectionist when he is looking out the window for a change over.

The Blob - The projectionist get devoured while running the show.

Sherlock Jr. (1924) - Buster Keaton as a projectionist.

Mel Brooks Silent Movie - I vaguely remember the scene with the reel of film wound around Dom Deluise being fed into the projector.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 01:09 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a screen shot from an Anthony Hopkins thriller called "The Looking Glass War" on 16mm. Can anyone recognize the projector in this scene?

-

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 01:22 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it looks a bit like a 'Specto'

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who can forget this episode of gilligan's island when the castaways find a crate full of film and equipment question is what kind of projector is this a 35mm?
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 02:49 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the film cans on the right of the projector, 35mm. [Confused]

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 03:28 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.... and solar powered.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 20, 2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Castaway Pictures Presents

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC