8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2011 03:25 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how about this partridge family episode where keith makes a film about his family here he is operating a bolex. but what kind of editor was he using can anyone tell?
It looks like it could be a Bolex V180 editor.

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2011 11:14 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night my film club screened a great tribute to silent films; Days of Thrills and Laughter with many thrilling and hilarious scenes.

Here is Snub Pollard, waking up the projectionist running the film way to slowly, an early Pathé serial being filmed with a hand-cranked camera, a clever title with projected images making up a letter "K", and Mack Sennett taking in a Keystone comedy with Fatty Arbuckle while the projectionist pantomimes what he sees in the theater, Sennett shooting at the villain on screen.

-

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 06, 2011 02:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks so cool Gerald. What a treat!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Janice,

It's a great film, with many scenes from some of the better moments in silent film...not all though. I can not express how exciting it is to see an excerpt of 'Play Safe' with Monty Banks among other treats in that film. It's a very sharp print and one defiantly worth having!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 07, 2011 07:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Directed by the late Sydney Pollack, Absence of Malice (1981) stars Paul Newman, Sally Field, and one of my favorite character actors Bob Balaban (pictured with projector below).

-

--------------------
Janice

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2011 03:37 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to a French webpage about "cinemas shown in movies"...
And a similar link: "Marquees in Movies" ist a collection of screenshots from movies showing movie theaters and their marquees.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 08, 2011 11:34 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice links Joerg...You must have been reading my mind. Here was the next set of movie captures I had ready to post for The Last Picture Show (1971). Jeff Bridges was just a kid in this film and so was Moonlighting's Cybill Shepard.

-

[ February 27, 2012, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2011 09:35 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ladies and gentlemen, bow to His Highness of public domain cartoons leftover from the Great Depression!"

-

The King of Cartoons from Pee Wee's Playhouse

--------------------

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 05:27 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, something does not look right with that projector. The top reel appears to be out of alignment.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 07:17 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's silly old movie Gus opens with the incompetent coaches viewing movies of the California Atoms' most recent game:

-

I've no idea what it is, but I'd guess that it's 1950s-era, probably not a Bell & Howell which were those noisy, encased beasts.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 10, 2011 07:27 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh...The King of Cartoons. I'm trying to remember if we ever saw that projector running. As Bryan pointed out...that top reel looks a bit bent :-)

In keeping with the Christmas spirit...Today I was watching National Lampoon's: Christmas Vacation (1989) and ran across this scene where Clark stumbles upon some old 8mm family movies in his attic.

-

--------------------
Janice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a happy days episode where Postie and Ralph want to borrow Ritchie’s dads projector but a burglar has different plans. Looks like a bell & howell.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2011 04:22 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they'll be watching films starring Will Heeey (Hay) - best said whilst giving the thumbs up! [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 13, 2011 05:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting considering Ron Howard was very involved in Super-8 filmmaking in his teenage years.

-did they have those colorful plastic reels back in the 1950s?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 13, 2011 06:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, you can tell that's a B&H just from the case?..I'm impressed! :-)...and great clip of Donny Most reading on the toilet :-)

--------------------
Janice

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2011 09:19 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Super 8

-
Gremlins (watching Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs")

-
8mm

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2011 12:25 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice I had a 256 B&H years ago I assume its a B&H not sure of the model.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 16, 2011 01:41 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a clip from Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) Ace (Jim Carry) and Mrs. Finkle (Alice Drummond) as they look at football footage of Ray Finkle missing a field goal kick in the Superbowl.

-

--------------------
Janice

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2011 05:54 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Amityville Horror (2005)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B24H7b18Zk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
The scene starts at 11 min. 23 sec. in this youtube link.

The Big Premiere OUR GANG #189 where the kids make their own movie and premiere. The gang's film-within-a-film is called "The Mysteeryus Mistry."

The Brady Bunch episode 4 season 2 The Un-Underground Movie.
Clip from the episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoLKkLExAg&list=SL&feature=sh_e_se

add another one to the list. Watching a movie on TBS this morning I saw a group of people in a meeting room watching a S8mm film production about a train ride...it was made to look very boring...The Station Agent was the title.

[ December 18, 2011, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Tuell ]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 18, 2011 08:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this scene from The Waterboy (1998) Coach Klein (Henry Winkler) reacts to Bobby Boucher (Adam Sandler) walking into the room while he's looking at football films. I don't have a clue to what make and model of projector. [Confused]

-

[ January 20, 2012, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the 200' B&W silent "D-Day on Mars"....

The hero of the film has a 'secret camera' placed on a bookcase (a reg 8mm) that films the villian and at the end they are watching the footage and the last shot shows the projector. It's hard to tell what it is though. Pretty cool...

Bill [Smile]

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2011 11:12 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
someone refresh my memory, did they use projectors in any of the Porky's movies or just hold reels of film in a few scenes?

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2011 01:20 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, That looks like another Bell &Howell mystery model.

Wayne, My dad took me to see Porky's when I was 7 years old! The trailer for it is available on Super 8, I wonder if the feature ever made into a Super 8 optical sound airline print?

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 19, 2011 08:59 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inglorious Bastards (2009) is such a good movie on so many levels. No spoiler alert here just that the cinema plays a pivotal part in the film.

-

--------------------
Janice

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2011 12:45 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, that's a 1500-series B&H -- we used to see a lot of those green beasts at school -- which is the same one in Joerg's picture from Super 8.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC