8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice for posting the pics! I love that show!

Bill [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 28, 2012 11:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Bill...my pleasure. I love hunting down these scenes.

@Paul...Rebecca (1940) is also a nice find. Here's the scene you described.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2012 05:16 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know anything about the device used by the Wilfred Hyde White character in 'The cat and the canary' (1978) to show him reading out his will, twenty years after his death?
I think the makers of this film used some artistic licence as the projector runs through the potential inheritors entire supper, even though it appears to be simply a projector coupled to a cylinder player. It does, however, look similar to some old attempts at home 'talkie' machines I have seen pictures of in the past.

[ January 29, 2012, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Allan Broadfield ]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 29, 2012 10:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan...I really liked this quirky movie... The Cat and the Canary (1978)...especially Wilfrid Hyde White who plays Cyrus West. His monologue in the will-reading scene is priceless. I think the director just took creative license with the length of the projection...there's not enough film to run as long as the scene did.

-

--------------------
Janice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 30, 2012 07:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film must hold the record for the longest a projector is seen in one film and also most of the film is about the film. Think I got that right?

A clip.. http://youtu.be/Pa9PeGH5eq0

Allan. I think the projector is a Kodascope and these had a 400ft max spool capacity.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 30, 2012 10:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In The Blob (1958) there's no projector shown...but we can't forget the "oozing goo" in this theatre scene.

-

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2012 12:18 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the beginning of The Tiger and the Pussycat (1967) a very funny Italian style comedy, we have the great Vittorio Gassman, a business man (and film producer) who is seen in his own film and later a screening room before he is lured into a tryst with Ann-Margret.

-

-

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info and the great pictures, Janice and Lee!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 01, 2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are captures from The Omen: The Final Conflict (1981) where Damian expresses his dislike for the proposed company promotional commercial.

-

[ February 01, 2012, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 05:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi friends, a quick timeout here to show you some discoveries from our holiday viewing!

First of all, from the vintage 1954 classic, "Them," comes Dr. Harold Medford about to instruct Washington chiefs of staff on the ways of ants -- giant mutant ones or otherwise -- by breaking out a classroom film:
 -
I'm guessing (seeing as the view is limited) that it's a Kodak?
 -
This movie has great B&W lighting and photography and the DVD looks great. Dr. Medford narrates his movie:
 -

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 05:49 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill...maybe it's an RCA...judging by the position of the reels.

Bill [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 02, 2012 07:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that movie really frightened me as a kid. A lot of good stars...James Whitmore...James Arness...Fess Parker. [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 08:43 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scared my wife as a kid too, but I'd never seen it until now!

OK, even better for the historical value is the 1924 Buster Keaton classic, Sherlock Jr. found at our local library, on a wonderful double-bill Kino DVD with a nice music track. In it Keaton plays an inept wannbe private investigator whose real job is as a projectionist. So we get to see a real, state-of-the-art 1924 projection booth in action, complete with 1000' 35mm reels and arc lighting -- and don't miss the reel rack on the left side, or the metal fire door and window shutters in case the film goes up in flames:

-

And a fun view of the theater itself, most notably that the best seats are lost to the center aisle, and proof again that silent movies weren't silent, seeing there were four musicians down front:

-

The plot is a little involved, but all you need to know here is that he starts a reel...

-

...then promptly falls asleep while sitting on the stool. Through double exposure we see him leave the booth in his dream...

-

...and then walk right up the aisle and into the picture. The physical comedy that ensues is cute as he reacts to the changing scenes of a travelogue, and the special effects are pretty convincing too. But then he gets caught up in a mystery. For a long time. Like a half hour. Way longer than the reel should've lasted. We were waiting for him to get busted for letting the film run off, but we never see him load the other projector or change over!

At the movies' conclusion, we see into a booth window the now wakened Sherlock looking at the action on the screen -- and mimicing it -- while the unvented arclamp housing is smoking away:

-

Also great fun in this movie to see some Los Angeles-area neighborhoods as they looked in 1924!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 03, 2012 12:08 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was fantastic Bill! Thanks for the synopsis of the scenes...your observations were great. I don't usually think of special effects in old movies this old...so to see the double exposure effect was amazing.

--------------------
Janice

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 07:48 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some grabs from a Monty Python episode from 1970. The sketch is the famous "ministry of silly walks".
I think it is a eumig P8?. It is in operation,backwards. At the end of the sketch it is thrown off the screen. I remember this action from the reruns in the 70's, being shocked by the treatment of the machine, and wanting to own a projector myself!

-

-

-

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 12:35 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Destruction of a good projector! There should be a law against that!

Janice, the special effects in "Sherlock Jr" ranged from the conventional (and my image above fits into that category, though it was extremely well executed) to some "how did they do that" moments. I don't have much silent movie knowledge, but of anything I've ever watched from the 20s or 30s, nothing else compares to "Sherlock" for its cleverness of technique.

I'd be interested if our resident early film expert, Dino, would be willing to weigh in on this one, with his valuable knowledge?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 03, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a Eumig P8. It probrbly won't break when he throws it. They were heavy and well made. All metal. They were as heavy as my 2585 16mm. [Eek!]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2012 12:06 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT'S pretty heavy!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 05, 2012 01:58 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat I can vouch for that, the little Eumig P8 went flying during the past shakes "cant remember which one" and still goes, not a mark on it.

Bill

Buster Keaton sleaping in the projection box made me [Smile] I remember doing the same thing and with the noise of the Air Condition unit made me dream that I was on a 747 on my way to some Pacific Island [Cool] ....then I woke up [Frown] ...some things dont change. [Smile]

Graham.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 06, 2012 03:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lovable Might Joe Young (1949)...was more like the Big Foot character Harry in the movie Harry and the Henderson's than the ape in King Kong... This scene at the end of the film has Joe eating a banana and then giving a playful wave back to the camera.

Any guesses on the projector?

-

[ February 27, 2012, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 05:47 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, looking at the position of the reels it looks like an RCA.

Bill [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 07, 2012 09:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paris, Texas (1984) is an intriquing story about Travis a man with amnesia played by Harry Dean Stanton. Travis had been missing for 4 years and then suddenly appears one day walking out from the dessert. Travis's brother Walt played by Dean Stockwell tries to find out why his brother disappeared. Walt decides that showing Travis some old home movies of Travis with his wife and young son spending a day at the beach might spark some memories.

Projector?

-

[ February 07, 2012, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 11, 2012 03:50 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this movie has been mentioned before...but Peter O'Toole was in true form as the dissolute matinee idol in My Favorite Year (1982).

BTW...That projector looks more like a tank....what is it?

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 12, 2012 01:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) Aidan Quinn discovers his 35mm film strung out on the floor...and at the end of the movie the projector starts burning the film after Quinn kisses Rosanna Arquette in the projection booth. This movie also stars Madonna.

...also notice the small movie poster for "Pattern for Plunder".

-

[ February 12, 2012, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, that looks like a 16mm Ampro. Used to have one but regrettably sold it during a mad clear out.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC