8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 20)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2016 09:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of a follow-up to the New York tour I did here last summer. As I noted, like many people from New York, I never visit a lot of our stuff. A couple of years ago I turned down a chance to visit Red Square because I’d already been there. I’ve been to the Hofbrau Haus in Munich twice: Empire State Building?—once, 30 years ago. World Trade Center: never.

As of this morning I had never, never, never been to the Statue of Liberty!

As I predicted, this would change because someone from out of town wanted to go: It turned out to be my sister and her family from Pennsylvania.

First stop on the ferry was Ellis Island:

-

Like many Americans, I am descended from people who came through this place.

-

-although when my Grandfather came here in 1923 it looked more like this: (actually I think my Grandfather could see in color…)

-

They have a computer database there of who came in when and off which ship. Sure enough:

-

It's so hard to imagine my grandfather as a 19 year old. It seems to me he was born at about 53! (By the way: his hometown is really called "Wiesloch", and I've been there twice too!)

-but the goal of the day was still within sight:

-

So with the sun in my eyes and that late December wind in my face:

-

Time to go home:

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 27, 2016 10:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Steve [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 28, 2016 05:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Graham!

Sound of Music fan my wife is, we also looked up Maria and Georg von Trapp: sure enough, they are there too in 1939.

The children aren't so easy to find since Rogers and Hammerstein (-mostly Hammerstein: Rogers wrote the music!) gave many of them different names in the musical!

Digging into this stuff often raises as many questions as it answers. My Grandfather arrived four years earlier than I've been told and was sponsored by some Aunt I've never heard of before.

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2016 10:36 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful pictures Steve, - especially of you at the base of the statue and of the NYC skyline. The latter would make a great metal print.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 28, 2016 11:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom,

What's kind of sad is there wasn't a real dedicated camera involved here other than the one that took that historic shot back in olden times. It was all cell phone!

The cityscape was just holding the phone against the window on the ferry to keep out reflected light. It was a patience thing allowing the boat to compose the shot with its own motion.

I will grant you: the statue shot has a certain heroic...leaning into the wind quality to it, but it wasn't heroic, the leaning was real and so was the wind!

It's best captioned "PLEASE just take it so we can go back inside!"!

(Then again: there was my kid laying on that cold granite to get the shot! Maybe HE'S the hero!)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 31, 2016 08:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy New Year!

(-live from our den!)

-

We have New Years Eve down in the den with the fireplace every year.

When we bought this house, this room is what made the sale. The original owners built a new garage on the side of the house, blew through the wall into the original garage and made this very nice den with a fireplace. The first decade of our marriage this was basically headquarters of our house and we relaxed in front of the fire many a cold winter's night.

Years back we redid the living room level and added a fireplace there too: a gas fireplace, with a remote. There is no firewood, no ash to clean, no damper, no chimney...as easy as slipping a disk in a player.

So the original fireplace is cool a lot more often than it once was.

The den became my son's domain for a long time: Thomas the Tank Engine, and later Wii and X-box 360, but with New Years Eve every year for all of us.

-lately I've decided to reclaim this room for the adults. That odd white tube leaning on the right is the Da-Lite screen my wife gave me for Christmas. When I get the brackets it will hang up between the ceiling beams and pull down in front of the fireplace. I'll also keep "Theater One" upstairs, but at least now it won't be a strict choice of "watching movies" OR "watching TV", now both can coexist.

-but for tonight we will once again gather by the hearth and ring in our 25th New Year in this house!

Peace and Blessings to all!

[ December 31, 2016, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2016 11:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Den" looks fantastic Steve to have as a warm cosy retreat for cinema nights. I hope you get your newly acquired Da-Lite screen in position very very soon!

Happy New year to you and yours Steve, and indeed everyone who frequents the forum.

Here's hoping very much, for a better, less stressful and tortuous 2017, than 2016 offered many of us at times.

Peace and Goodwill to all throughout.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From last week actually. Just got around to the developing the film last night. The night before I took these there was freezing rain and then the next day it got to a number of degrees above freezing.

The freezing rain caused the snow on the awnings to become locked into shape. The thaw the following day caused it to start sliding off the metal awnings.

-

-

The 35mm SLR I took these with was purchased for $15 and the film had expired in 2010. Not bad for an old camera and old film. My intention was to get pictures of something else but I walked by this store on the way and thought the snow looked kind of cool.

[ January 25, 2017, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2017 02:47 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Food for thought.

February 17th, Sports Illustrated will release the new swimsuit magazine.

Now THOSE pictures are worth the look! [Big Grin]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 25, 2017 03:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll see if Janice agrees with you there Chip. Somehow,.. I doubt it though.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 25, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Andrew...Sports Illustrated is always a good read, but you are right... the swim suit issue is not on my "must have" list.

I actually have more pressing "issues" (pun intended) .... like my fence which is now leaning like the Tower of Pisa from our recent wind storms. This is just an example of the many things that always seem to need fixing. Just this week I fixed a slow flowing water dispenser in my refrigerator and a garbage disposal that turned but wouldn't grind things up anymore. Rather than a magazine...I'd be more impressed with a good handyman...swim suit is optional [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 25, 2017 04:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Janice, I'm old skool when it comes to women being portrayed as men's play things!

Rightly or wrongly, I try to respect all human beings.

Until I hear what they have to say at least! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Your fence Janice,well that's men's work! Ha ha.
Now who's the hypocrite? 😂😂

I guess you've probably gathered, I doubt me and Donald for once, will ever see eye to eye!!

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2017 04:43 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Swimsuit models are a rare sight in downtown Minneapolis in January. You'll have to be content with odd snow formations. [Smile]

I do have a picture of me in a wetsuit standing on a snowy bridge not far from the market pictured above but that's a long story.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 25, 2017 04:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's leave it there shall we Tom! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2017 04:59 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 10, 2017 03:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a blizzard yesterday…

Two days ago if you looked out the window, you would have seen a bare brown lawn, maybe a shred of our deceased Christmas display, but no snow! This changed in kind of a hurry Thursday morning. A Pennsylvania-sized white blob was headed east on the weather map and it hit us long and hard: more than a foot in 8 hours!

This was my chance to wheel out one of my less-beloved toys: our snow blower. This came to us because our old electric one was growing frail and I decided it was time to take it out behind the barn and put it out of its (well…MY ) misery.

-interesting contraption: We don’t have a lot to clear, so I got a fairly small gasoline powered one. It is more than capable! In the old days I used to spend a couple of hours clearing the driveway maybe seven feet wide, line the cars up and fall into a snow drift getting out. With this snarling beast we are more than two cars wide in maybe an hour. When the wind blows a shower of snow back at you, you still want to go to Hawaii until April, but at least you are done quicker and better!

One lesson learned is you have to let it cool before you bring it into the garage: if it’s still hot it stinks the whole house up!

My son and I are home. My wife works at a hospital and they don’t have snow days. She suggested when I went out to do a little cleanup I bring the 14 year old with me and try putting him at the helm!

He said it was “fun”! (Here we differ: My own Dad used to ask "D'you want to cut the lawn?". I replied: "No...".)

This is great! Maybe in a winter or two I can stand in the window and complain “That’s not the way we did it in MY day!” (-With my hot cup of coffee and dry clothing!)

-

-Next Summer: The Lawn Mower!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 10, 2017 03:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I love your son's spirit and his enthusiasm to pitch in and help. I don't have snow, but for years I cut my own lawn with no help from my two sons. One day my younger son made the effort to go out and cut the front lawn. My neighbor saw this and ran out with a camera to take a snap shot. She said she wanted to document the occasion [Smile] She was right to do so since this was a first and last. I eventually hired a gardener. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 10, 2017 03:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats quite a contrast to what I was reading about the 46C they are getting Sydney. [Eek!] ...rather have the snow [Smile]

Janice I had the same problem with my two [Mad] ...hopeless. Although when they were young and I needed the veggie garden dug up, I did tell them there was a hidden treasure buried there. Away they went with shovels and after a while they complained they could not find it, so I said dig over there and away they went again [Big Grin] ...in the end I got it all dug up, but I dont think they ever forgave me as....they never did find that treasure [Wink]

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2017 05:27 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit jealous since we will lose whatever pittance of snow we have in the next few days. It's supposed to be above freezing for the next 10 days at least so the rest of my broomball season is likely to be canceled as well.

[Mad]

Then, as likely as not, the snow will return in late March or April when I'd just as soon be done with it. [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 10, 2017 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Gotta have SOME fun!

-

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 14, 2017 08:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lower Lake Today

-

Well,

Some sentimental soul out here in Suffolk County has a boat.

-hopefully some warm clothes too!

(The things we do for love!)

Happy Valentine's Day!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 09:04 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
" Like walking in the rain and the snow, when there's no place to go, and you're feelin like a part of you is dying and your lookin for the answer in her eyes..."

" You think your gonna break up, then she says she wants to make up.."

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2017 09:48 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scary Andrew. That's the first song that popped into my head when I read Steve's post.

Steve: I'm a little confused. Was this someone spreading joy on the holiday or were they just pining for their boat?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 14, 2017 09:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not as scary as you think: It's what I was thinking when I wrote it!

-Like paddling out into four feet of freezing water to put a heart on a raft!

My own standard this time of the year is no water more than a foot deep. Hypothermia will kill you...literally!

Whoever it is put a small Christmas tree out there in December. It's one of those random acts of kindness and senseless beauty we keep hearing about.

(Nice!)

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 10:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not so scary as you may think Tom given that Steve posted the words "The things We Do For Love!" [Wink]

Now then, back to film talk...

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC