8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 32)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2018 09:39 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm familiar with that dealership. I had a '06 Accord, under warranty, and the rear strut was leaking oil.

The service rep refused to believe that my observation to repair the car was valid and his blunt reply was: that's not the problem, it didn't happen. When they have to eat the bill, they're dismissive of the customer, and that's unacceptable business. Ultimately, the service dept fixed the strut under warranty, but the service rep took no accountability for his foul attitude when I questioned him afterward.

When the Accord was 500 miles over the warranty, I noticed that the car was dripping transmission engine oil. The service dept gave me a detail of charges to repair the leak, and refusing in being taken over a barrel I asked to speak to the service manager, and after listening to my inquiry, he hanged up the phone.

Instead, I had my Dad's neighbor take a look, and the problem was a loose nut that connected a small L-shaped tube at the bottom of the radiator, which required light tightening.

You are not the first to say that the dealership is akin to an airport, and that's the reason a family member of ours decided on buying a Hyundai vehicle from the Hyundai Dealership that's nearby to Huntington Honda.

Your right, Islip MacArthur Airport is more sedate than H. Honda, and the service reps are psychologically abusive. They learn a script that conveys a soft sell with the urgency that your car is dilapidated. I asked the service rep: please ask the mechanic to check the following items for repair, and I was corrected that they are not Mechanics, but they are "Service Technicians."

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 08, 2018 12:43 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stories about the motor trade [Smile] ...some things just never change.

Steve thats interesting about Tycho...

Robert

The camera is a Panasonic Lumex DC-FZ80...with a zoom range of 20mm to 1200mm. The photo of the moon was nowhere near the its full zoom range. I did look at Canon cameras at the time, but felt this one offered more features for the same price, including the option of taking 4K video up to 15 minutes worth on this card, plus many other things once I have time to sit down and go through just some of it. [Smile]

This afternoon I was loading the platter with the 2005 documentry "March of the Penguins" this is where the quality of film wins out over digital. I haven't yet watched it but to visit Antarctic on 35mm should be good.. [Cool]
 -
 -

[ April 08, 2018, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2018 05:14 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a very good photo Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 10, 2018 02:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching march of the Penguins seems to have promted a change in the weather [Frown] After seeing what the weather was like up in the Nothern Hemisphere, its now our turn, funny enough I came across our old snow chains last week [Big Grin]

Here are a couple of photos from our local paper...

They need to fix the sign..
 -

And for those young visitors from Brisbane, Australia, who have never seen snow before in there life.. its magic [Big Grin]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 10, 2018 09:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

It looks like there's no place to escape the stuff this year!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 12, 2018 01:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve I dont no if its just me, but I feel the summers are getting shorter, and the winters getting longer [Frown] [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 12, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think, at least locally they are actually getting colder!

My car has a temperature reading on the dashboard. One frosty morning a year or so ago I got out there to go to work and I cranked over the engine (like molasses...). The dashboard said "-5"

I thought "Please be Celsius!...Please!"

-but it was Farenheight...

I don't think I've seen it go below zero three times my whole life!

It pays to remember I basically live out in the ocean and our temperatures are supposed to be moderated by all that water. (The winds are another story.)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 13, 2018 08:13 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Present!

-

How often do you see a Delorean?

I'm kind of lucky: I get to see one pretty much every day, and I don't even need to pay for it!

It belongs to a friend of mine at work, and other than when he has to wait for replacement parts to show up, he drives it most days. Before he went into electronics he was a certified mechanic for Volkswagen: that's pretty much what it takes to keep one of these motivated all these years after Marty McFly and Doc Brown!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 14, 2018 09:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one's for Shorty...

-

(He'll understand!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 15, 2018 08:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen a Delorean except in the movie, must be a very rare car.
I am on a bit of a nautical theme at the moment which for some reason reminded of this photo I took, of a not so impressed Steven back in 1994, during a short visit me and him did to visit my parents. I thought lets do a day trip down the Firth of Clyde to Brodick on the Isle of Arran. Not one to sit inside, I enjoy the somewhat breezy journey [Smile] however Steven, had other ideas. I think his expression says it all, as what he thought about me at the time [Big Grin]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 16, 2018 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, over the years I've been both the kid scowling into the lens and the Dad pointing the camera too, so I doubly sympathize!

When we've lived enough years, we wind up paying our parents back for what we put them through as children! (I for example am proofreading a paper on Ernest Hemingway this week! ...after all those years Mom typed MY papers!)

We spent the weekend in Cape May, New Jersey. This is the very, very southern tip of New Jersey, the next stop on the Garden State Parkway after Wildwood and the last stop too. (-or they'll have to fish you out of Delaware Bay!).

Before dinner we visited Sunset point, which is worthy of the name.

-

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 16, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, and how I understand [Smile] Will be there soon enough - Love to the family, Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 23, 2018 07:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was certainly eye contact...

-

-and I think the squirrel actually enjoyed it!

(-the cat? Not so much!)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 27, 2018 08:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a touch of Wildwood Neon on a cool April night!

-

--------------------

Reese Williams
Junior

- posted May 01, 2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Reese Williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very interesting

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 10, 2018 03:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My film-buddy....BUSTER [Smile]

-

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 11, 2018 01:50 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Janice [Smile] ...was Buster watching a Tom and Jerry?

Going to re-visit an old afternoon matinee tomorrow afternoon. The last time I watched a Scope 35mm print of "633 Squadron" was way back in 1964-65 when I was twelve or thirteen. Its not the full feature, but its still a good hours worth of film to watch. I spliced all 4 reels onto one full 6000ft reel now sitting on top of the Bauer yesterday. Its all ready for a wee bit of a nostalgia trip down memory lane. [Smile]
 -
Just got to warm the projector up then thread it.... [Cool]
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2018 05:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday afternoon sitting on a fold up chair in the garage watching 633 Squadron. I was taking a chance leaving the Bauer U4 with a very full of untested 6000ft reel of 35mm film, but thought why not, just sit back and enjoy the film...so I did. Although I did check things every so often, that it wasn't spilling film all over the floor, as usual the Bauer ran great [Cool]
 -
....screen shot from yesterday...
 -
[Cool] [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2018 07:53 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this on the front walk on the way out to the car today:

-

-Man!

-this stuff gets around!

(I guess it would be a stretch to blame it on the Neighbors!)

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 08:43 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You found the missing footage!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2018 09:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about this: I know exactly what this is.

-a few years ago I went through a film I made in my teens and cut all the tape splices out and redid them in cement. This snip has the odd squiqqly cut the blade on the Baia splicing block makes and it's about as long as a tape splice. (Besides, look at the perfs!)

-so this is like a rock in the ocean, slowly working it's way up on the beach! In the span of about 5 years it's migrated about 50 feet!

(I'd think they'd be safer if they travelled as a herd: I go through there with the lawnmower all the time!)

Of High School, Tape Splices and Ektachrome

How's the Drive-In doing, Bill?

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 08:28 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for asking. It's going well. Right now I'm showing DEADPOOL2 and SUPERTROOPERS2. Or, as I call it, STUPIDTROOPERS2. Always a double feature here but I wouldn't have chosen these two if I had any say in the matter.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2018 08:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours is not to reason why!

I've been to a number of Drive-In screenings the last ten years: all double features.

-to this day I've never seen the second feature, including the time that's the one I really wanted to see (Cowboys and Aliens), because of the other people in the car.

(-the attention spans of hummingbirds!)

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 08:54 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A double feature at a drive-in is always a late night outing. In any given night, half the cars leave after the first feature. It's usually the newer movie anyway. The rest of them stick it out to the end of the second feature - usually around 1am. Later if the movies are really long. It's a long night for a projectionist.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 31, 2018 08:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this photo on Facebook that might interest those folk from NY.

Queuing up to watch Errol Flynn's 1950 picture "Rocky Mountain" at Schenectady, New York's Lincoln Theatre in 1951.
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC