8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best Looking Projector (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best Looking Projector
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 29, 2009 01:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many great looking projectors around - in fact to most film collectors any projector looks great! But some are a whole lot more impressive than others. In general, I think the projectors of metal construction are better looking than those of plastic construction, and most of the time they seem to perform better.
Here are my votes for the best looking cine projectors:

Regular 8mm
Nominees: Bolex M8, Bolex 18-5, Eumig p8, Bell & Howell 606/Regent
And the winner is.................Bell & Howell 606/Regent

-

Super 8mm Sound
Nominees: Elmo GS1200, Eumig S938, Heurtier Stereovox
And the winner is...................Heurtier Stereovox

-

9.5mm
Nominees: Pathescope GEM, Pathescope SON, Pathescope 200B
And the winner is....................Pathescope 200B

-

[ May 29, 2009, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul I totally agree with you on the 200B (The only one my wife has allowed to be displayed in my house) and the Heurtier Stereovox (I finally found a pressure plate for mine so it is soon to be complete), although I am not as familiar with the reg 8 bell & howell I'll have to look that one up.....

I would like to add one of my all time favorites and one I hope to own someday in a new category

Multi-Gauge
the nominees are Specto 500 dual 9.5/16 / Bolex G3 8,9.5,16/ and Heurtier Super Panoralux 9,5 , 16mm
and the winner is........Heurtier Super Panoralux 9,5 , 16mm

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 29, 2009 02:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree Dino- that one beats them all! Heurtier certainly designed some stunning looking projectors.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted May 29, 2009 07:05 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
great topic

I saw a keystone model 160 16mm projector at a yard sale two weeks ago and I fell for it right away. It now sits atop an Edison floor model and after cleaning and oiling it, it works great.

One question though, Are the old machines hard on film?

Thanks
Kevan

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 29, 2009 07:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevan,
I would say that it depends on the make of the projector. The old Bell and Howell's, like the 606H shown above, were designed and built to professional 16mm standards, with the best quality materials and superb finish on all the parts. Same goes for the old Bolex's like the M8 and the 18-5 which have superb quality. On the other hand, the more recent super 8 Bell and Howell's, with plastic construction and down-marketed for places like Sears and K-mart are just not in the same league quality wise, and I have had severe scratching from some of these machines. Eumig's of any age or model are extremely kind to film - I have never had a single scratch from a Eumig projector. The Eumig designers really knew their stuff. Most Pathe 9.5mm equipment is notorious for being hard on film. Avoid Keystone, Chinon, GAF, and all the Super 8 Kodaks, with the exception of the truly superb Kodak M100. If you want a good 9.5mm projector follow Dino's advice and get a Specto. Stay with Elmo, Eumig, Sankyo, Bauer, and Bolex and you ca'nt go far wrong.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Best 16mm projector I think is around also a Ampro Stylist but I could not find a pic of one.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 29, 2009 09:33 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,
I found this ad for the Sylist in the May 1951 Amateur Cine World:

-

Anymore entries to the Projector beauty contest?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 30, 2009 02:01 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or weightlifting contest? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 03:36 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote for the classic look is the Revere 85 and its matching 16mm twin, which is suspiciously similar to the B&H 606 made in the same city of Chicago.

For moderns, how about the Eumig 926 and the Bauer 610 as best looking?

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 04:26 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about one of these??
 -

[Big Grin]
Here is a Ampro Stylist Major Mk2  -

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 05:16 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote for the best looking Super 8 projector would have to be that good old Elmo ST1200. All that silver with green and yellow plastic makes it look a stunner.
 -

[ May 30, 2009, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Graham Sinden ]

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 09:02 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toei Talkie standard8mm sound machine.The only one that actually performed as good as it looked.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 12:06 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's the Ampro Stylist Major Mk2 too. Looks stunning in the flesh!

I actually have one of these machines - it runs like silk - pretty darn quiet - and is kind to films. Manual threading to boot!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 30, 2009 12:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Was the Ampro a British or American design?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 12:35 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
It was an American Machine; the firm Kelvin Hughes made them in the UK for Ampro.One of my earlier posts on a different thread mentions them from when I worked in the old Kelvin Hughes factory in Basingstoke....

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000421#000002

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 30, 2009 01:51 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Martin. There must be a lot of Ampro's floating around the UK, as they seem to have been heavily advertised in ACW.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 30, 2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ampros turn up quite regularly on Ebay - unfortunately a lot of them come out of lofts where they've been "rusting" for years.

I do like the look of those Heurtier projectors. I would love to get one, though I've been led to believe that they are technically not so great.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 04:43 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul's Bell & Howell 606/Regent is absolutely FANTASTIC. But my vote goes to the Silma Memory 90. All in plastic, but so nice! I'm in love with it!

-

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 05:02 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Silma. It has the design of the Empire in 'Star Wars'. You can see it on the Death Star...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, you are right! Very similar. Wow!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 07:06 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Best std 8mm by far.
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 08:56 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to all the posters on this thread....
I couldn't resist responding after seeing the Elmo ST1200 that has been pictured.
Thats my Elmo st1200 & thats my picture we are looking at. I wonder how it got here. hehehehe...
Anyway, as no real good pic of a B&H 606 has been sent in, here is one I just took of mine. It goes well & I have just test run it. Will also put up a pic of a big Ampro I have that looks very impressive & is a favorite of mine. Hope no one objects.

dogtor pufferfish
 -

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 11:26 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how some of the beat looking ones are the worst machines.The Heurtier looks so great,but what a useless doorstop of a machine!Best looking std 8,The Keystone K109,!6mm,The Jan machines

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2009 12:59 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again to all looking at the best looking vintage projector contest.
Here is a pic I have of an Ampro I had till recently.
Its not a Stylist or a Major but a 16mm monster that weighs heaps.
I thought it was one of the most impressive projector I had seen.
What do others think of this pic?
dogtor pufferfish
 -

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2009 01:38 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah frank that looks like it is made out of lead! [Eek!]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC