8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Quartz Halogen Lamp to MR16 Halogen Conversion - GAF / Elmo FP Series (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Quartz Halogen Lamp to MR16 Halogen Conversion - GAF / Elmo FP Series
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 31, 2012 02:13 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all know the short-comings of the expensive and limited life cycle of the quartz halogen bulbs. I just started my attempt to do my own conversion. So far I have successfully tested the socket wiring connections and as you can see from the photos below...it worked.

-

My next step is to devise a riser/platform to mount and position the socket at the proper height. I was hoping that one of you creative engineers out there might have a suggestion to how I might do this and the kind of materials I need. Most of these type of mounts are made of metal...but I'm thinking plastic or vinyl might be just as durable and easier to work with. Any suggestion?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 31, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

Well done in giving it a go [Smile] Can you provide more details, ie is the lamp replacement a higher wattage etc. Mounting a lamp like that would be safer using steel, plus you need to direct efficient cooling through some kind of lamp enclosure. It might be an idea to find a scrap projector that could have the bits you need, just an idea.

The photo shows a bright white light...and thats good, the thing is just remember where there is lots of light there is lots of heat as well, so be careful.

Graham.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 31, 2012 05:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a little more detail...

I have two models of projectors that should be good candidates for the conversion...the GAF Anscovision series and the B&H Lumina series. GAF has produced some models with this upgrade already done and the same for the B&H Lumina. I'm replacing the original bulb with the same 80W 30V halogen equivalent (ELB or ENA).

Here are the two projectors I have that already have the lamp upgrades.

-

-

Here is the GAF projector I'm working on now with the socket removed. This shows the metal base plate that I want to mount a shelf to attach the socket base elevated to the proper height.

-

-

I think I'd rather come up with a solution that doesn't require scavenging another projector. I just need to find the right parts. This might take a bit of searching...but I know other's have done it.

I'm open to any and all input. [Razz]

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 31, 2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Jan! [Big Grin]

Go to this link and sniff around! [Eek!]

http://www.bulbtronics.com/Search-The-Warehouse/ProductDetail.aspx?sid=0006567&pid=BW865R986&Source=SearchResults

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 01, 2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, that site has a lot of lamps and sockets...which I already have. I think at this stage I'm imagining a small box with a large hole drilled in the middle for the wires to go thru and small holes for the screws to attach the socket and box to the base. I may need to fabricate something.

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 01, 2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS! What about an "L" bracket? [Confused]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 01, 2012 08:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure an L-Bracket is enough. How were you envisioning to attach the base of the socket? I've found some small ABS project boxes with metal tops at Radio Shack...I'm going to give one a try.

I was also thinking of using 4 metal spacers attached to metal platform that the socket base could sit on.

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 06, 2012 12:49 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got the socket positioned on the projector. I used a small project box enclosure I bought from Radio Shack. It's made of ABS plastic and has an aluminum lid. I drilled holes in the box to match up with the holes on the projector lamp base....attached the box to the base and the socket to the box. It's very secure...it's not going anywhere [Big Grin]

Here are the pictures of the finished project. The light doesn't get as hot as the old light even though it's the same wattage. I'm just happy that it cut down the cost for replacement bulbs from $50 to about $16 [Smile] ....OH, one more thing... not including my time...the conversion cost about $10.

-
 -

--------------------
Janice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 06, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

Well done [Smile]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superb!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 06, 2012 02:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Janice! It's fun to convert old projectors to a modern lighting system, and save money on new lamps!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 06, 2012 06:30 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys!

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 06, 2012 08:10 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice....you are the BOMB! If you are ever in the market for a husband I would like to apply for the job! [Embarrassed]

That is excellent work. Very professional looking. [Wink] The APS will never melt that's for sure. [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 06, 2012 10:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to get in line Igor...with skills like this I have suitors lining up in my driveway [Smile] ...and I can cook too [Razz]

--------------------
Janice

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2012 10:54 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor has it that Janice was screen tested to be a future Bond Girl... [Eek!]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2012 10:57 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe is mistaken, she auditioned for the role of Q. Now the producers and Daniel Craig are insisting she play the Bond Girl.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2012 12:31 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God bless the QLV-1! !! ! [Big Grin]

I cannot tell you how often I have used them...I m currently dropping one in an old 1915 POWERS 6A 35mm silent projector so I can hand crank a film for about 300 undergrad film students at USC.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 07, 2012 09:44 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dino...that little socket is terrific. I just stumbled upon it in a Google search. I just need to find more ways to mount it on other projectors. I'd love to see how you are doing this.

Bond girl?...LOL...What a nice compliment, but at my age I'd probably be a Bond girls mom [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bond girl?...LOL...What a nice compliment, but at my age I'd probably be a Bond girls mom
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

-------------------

Congratulations Janice, excellent work.

Jon

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 08, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superb job, Janice.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2012 06:54 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, nice job!

I suppose it is possible to upgrade to a lamp with a different voltage, too, but I think that is a bit more complex, correct? Many otherwise fine projectors could use a wattage upgrade to get a brighter picture, which more often than not would require a voltage change.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...janice keep watching this space, as I finished putting the QLV-1 into the Powers 6A at work and shot a little video...i will upload it when I get home tonight.... [Smile]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 03:56 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crongat Jenice,

Great job i'm in the middle to convert my B&H from DJL to ESD bulb, so this post is very helpful for me !!!

Thanks!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be careful when contemplating a lamp upgrade on a projector. It is best to resist the temptation to use a higher wattage lamp than the OEM lamp. Higher wattage means higher current, which can wipe out the transformer, and of course higher wattage also means higher heat dissipation within the projector, and that will require an increase in the forced air cooling, by adding or using a bigger blower.
Many GS1200 owners, myself included, have been tempted to use the 250 watt ELC lamp in place of the existing 200 watt ESC. I have tried it, and the ELC produces an incredibly bright white light, far better than the ESC, but its just not worth the risk of burning out the transformer.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 11, 2012 04:31 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul...I used the same wattage lamp in my conversion. Changing voltage is a lot more complicated and better to stick with the original wattage.

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC