8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Release News - True Lies & James Bond! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Release News - True Lies & James Bond!
Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 22, 2015 08:21 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The test print of the True Lies digest is currently being striped and will then be shipped out to The Reel Image. Hopefully approval will be forthcoming after checking print/image quality on this polyester scope release.

This was first announced back in December of 2014, so as a reminder this is a two part release. This 600 footer (31 minutes) is Part One, which covers the first 2/3 of the film with a natural break that ends with Harry rescuing his wife from the limo before it goes off the bridge. Part Two (12 minutes) starts with the news that their daughter has been taken hostage and continues through the end. The second part will be out in a few months.

The 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me is getting a full feature release in both Super 8mm & 16mm! No details on price yet, however scope prints of this title should be available from both Classic Home Cinema & The Reel Image towards the end of the year.

Contact information:
Classic Home Cinema
The Reel Image

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2015 01:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, it just makes my day to hear that super is still being released, with brand new releases! (Even if they are waaaaay beyond what I can afford!)

until now, "The Spy Who Loved Me" was only available as a super 8 optical sound feature and that, slightly edited!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 03:11 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably very late to the party with this, but is Captain America still available?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 23, 2015 07:53 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I'm sure it is. Check in with the above mentioned sellers.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Christian Schatz
Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2015 05:27 AM      Profile for Christian Schatz   Email Christian Schatz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is about "The Hobbit" Super 8 Trailer?

--------------------
KINOTON FP30D w/ 1kW Xenon & FP30 w/ 1.6kW Xenon
BAUER SONOLUX II w/ 36V/400W Halogen
CARL ZEISS TK35/52 w/ 36V/400W Halogen
ELMO ST-1200D M&O 24V/250W Mod with Schneider Lens 1.1 / 11-25

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 24, 2015 10:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that this trailer would have made a most excellent trailer, and a full 200ft reel at that ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNVtorI3vw

... running over 6 and a half minutes! There has to be some floating out there on 35MM!

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2015 12:37 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, this is a used print of CAPTAIN AMERICA on eBay UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-Super-8mm-film-SCOPE-colour-sound-/271995624867?hash=item3f5433dda3

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 24, 2015 02:02 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds great, i dread to think how much the spy who loved me will cost though [Frown]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 24, 2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Cash your pension in Tom [Big Grin]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2015 03:47 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Spy who Loved Me is quite a long film at 125 minutes. Based on the True Lies price of $350 for forty minutes the James Bond feature should work out at $1050 / £690. It is really upto the collector whether they feel it is worthwhile to spend that amount of money on a feature. If the film appeals to collectors it will sell. One concern would be that the film is now 38 years old so a proper review of the super 8 print would be a major deciding factor for buyers. It is courageous for dealers to still release super 8. If they have produced a print to the quality of Derann they deserve to be applauded and supported for their efforts.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 24, 2015 03:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The stripes are the main issue for me nowadays Mike.

The only way you are going to get Main & Balance stripes is with Acetate stock.

I really do not like Acetate when compared with Polyester.
My main projector runs far noisier with it, it is also too brittle for my liking especially when you consider the cost of these new prints!

If pre striped Polyester stock was still available, I would be extremely interested in new prints.
As things stand, I don't want to pay this kind of money for either single striped pasted Polyester prints nor twin striped Acetate ones.

having looked at new shorts printed on both of these stocks, I haven't been impressed with either.

A far cry from Derann prints in their latter hey day!

I know of collectors who have paid over a grand for recent releases and then regretted their decision due to colour grading issues, slitting issues etc etc.

I would need to see and trial some short test material before I would be happy to part with this kind of money on anything released now.

One of the most tempting and best recent released films I have seen was titanic. It was a stunning print.

For that particular print then yes, for anything else..I remain sceptical for now.

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with your points Andrew. I don't think it is realistic for collectors to be asked to shell out nearly £700 for a feature blind. I think some kind of presentations or review of the product is needed to show what is on offer. To simply be asked pay your money take your chance is not a serious option.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 24, 2015 07:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I could not agree with you more Mike and sadly, this is coming from someone who is crying out for new prints of the standard I have become accustomed to watching from Derann while Derek was still with us. God Bless him.

Unfortunately, until someone makes Super 8mm sound cameras a hip and fashionable accessory again,and then in turn turns back the hands in time where the big 3 are concerned, we seem to be stuck in a rut with these attempts sadly.

I doubt it will, or can ever happen, but then again, I thought that once about another love of mine on the footballing front, so you just truly never know in life I've found.

Any Oil Sheiks love S8??? [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 25, 2015 04:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New releases were projected at the last BFCC and nonbody said there would be no review of new films in the future. There is even a dedicated section for that on this forum.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 25, 2015 06:53 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there will be a review, but give me a 600 foot opening to Saving Private Ryan or even Zulu any day. [Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 25, 2015 09:13 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - if you can establish some demand for such a release of either title, I'm sure Steve/Phil would be happy to consider it - especially if someone can come up with a 35mm print - but I can't help thinking that in terms of presenting shows, digests will generally go down better, because an audience engrossed in the first 30 mins of a film is liable to be left wanting more!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 25, 2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember mentioning that first reel of "Ryan" years ago and I agree that it would make a top notch release for super 8, and all on one 600ft reel!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2015 05:51 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of negative vibes and low interest considering that a fairly modern action mini feature and a full length James Bond movie are talked about as imminent releases. I would say the likelihood of any Spielberg movie coming out shortly on super 8 would be nil. The possibility of getting a legal release are zero and it would take an extremely brave or silly individual to try and release a bootleg version. They would stand the risk of be sued for everything they own with possibilty of jail time as well. I actually feel sorry for the remaining dealers. They source material that they could release based on the fickle demand of collectors. When they do what do they get. Too expensive, I want the quality that Derann produced or thats nice but I wanted the other film. In 2015, I am amazed that there are still individuals prepared to risk releasing movies on super 8. Considering the hazzle,grief and effort plus the financial risk they are to be saluted. If the product is good enough putting aside minor faults which you are bound to have with these type of releases then reel super 8 film fans should support them with their custom and not just fill cyberspace with hot air! It took a lot of courage for Derek and Derann to continue to release super 8 during the 1980s to 2000s He was backed up by collectors who bought and bought big. If we hadn't you would have very little to look at on your projectors now apart from pink digests.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2015 06:24 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You make some good points there Mike. I am in on the new stuff. It is the same old story when a new release is announced....10 other choices are listed with "I would buy that...."

I'm excited about the new stuff!

Bill [Smile]

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2015 09:43 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to the new titles, I plan to purchase both. Im thankful to those responsible this is a financial risk. We are lucky to get anything new these days.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2015 11:09 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't have a problem with the stripes but I do prefer the mylar base. The German lab does a great job.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 01:19 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike

absolutely excellent post - your insight and years of experience come through as allways.

I have to say if I was still into 8mm I would have been excited by "Spy who Loved me". Like you say though the quality would have to be good for me to shell that kind of cash out. I would think it would have made a brilliant 2 x 600 with a bit of creative editing.

[Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 26, 2015 03:31 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Never Say never, while still a great watch,really does need to be longer to retain the story without confusion.

If you didn't already know the film, while entertaining, I don't necessarily think that you'd know exactly what the plot is.

I actually think it is a good thing to release these type of films only full length.
This will still appeal to serious collectors so long as the quality is spot on.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 07:43 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, as much as I do dearly love that new super product is being released, quote...

"fairly modern action mini feature"

True Lies 1994.

21 years old.

Also, let us not get into copyright, because as some us old timers well know, some so called "film collectors" out there will go to extreme lengths to sabotage releases on bootlace.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say well done to those who put time and effort into getting these new super 8 products to market. The choice for new product is less now than ever before, leaving those who make the effort thinking "why bother". The new James bond feature sound fantastic, and arnie still has appeal even with his wooden acting.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC