8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » New Films can be purchased cheaper than some used! (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: New Films can be purchased cheaper than some used!
Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 08:45 AM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am resurrecting this thread. I don't know how I could have missed it. It's really exciting to hear someone is still doing fresh new prints on super8.

I read the whole thing and saw a lot of names and contacts, many of them with no websites. I understand the company doing this prints is in Germany. Why use a lot of intermediate contacts in the US and the UK, can anybody give the information to contact this German company directly. Can this company print in 16mm? 16mm uses optical audio, so sound would not be a problem.

I have to agree with Akshay, I am not a purist, so I seen no problem in getting digital sound to sync with the movies if this is raising the cost ridiculously. I have actually done this several times with 16mm. Extracting the sound track from a DVD and then running it in sync with the projection. I am an audiophile and let me tell you super8 sound is not that great, it actually sucks.

We could use this forum to get people into X or Y title, that way the lab could print several copies, and maybe see new titles printed. I would love to have a copies of:

Blade Runner
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Alien
Snatch
Singin in the Rain
Fight Club
Chinatown
Godfellas
In the Mood for Love
etc........

I know from the 35mm forum that there are lots of copies of this movies out there. I don't know how the legal rights work, but if we get 10 or 20 of us sign up for a title, it may be possible to get brand new copies of our beloved films for a rational price.

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2013 10:26 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Sheard at Classic is asking for suggestions for new releases on super, but says he doesn't get many people suggesting them.

If you want a title in super 8 I would suggest you contact either Classic Home Cinema or Steve Osbourne to put your request to them.

Do collectors want new release titles or older classic ones?

Me personally the new films other than the odd one don't appeal to me. I'll watch them on dvd, or stream them, but NOT many of them would I want to buy on super 8.

Now get to the older ones. Love them. Thinking about it I bought 'Raise The Titanic' it was a quite a new release I think at the time. And Derek sold it to me at Blackpool rubbing his hands at another sale. He was rightly proud of that release.

Think the attraction was seeing it at Blackpool on the big BIG screen.

My interest started to fade in the cinema as cgi/cgs appeared.

Sadly now I have more time to watch films I find the cost of new ones limits me.

On dvd 'The Expendables 2' which I rented for the better half, enjoyed a little, but felt more like a video game too me.

I wish you could still hire films. Are there any hire libraries in the UK, or anywhere?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 27, 2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly the question I ask myself David of any new film,
would I pay to own this film on the bootlace, and the answer is
invariably no.Regarding suggesting titles, it doesn't seem to
make any difference now, it's a choice of a dozen or so and that's
it.The cost is prohibitive of new s/8, and I would rather search
out my preferences on 16mm.In the past, and I've done it myself
where you become a nuisance suggesting the same titles,but
then it paid off, today there are a lot of factors to impede any
new release.Things may pick up again,but it will be a slow
process.When Humphries Labs were in swing,they could print
out 400' a minute on 8mm, relatively cheaply,there was a
market, not so much now, well for the older collector, we haven't done so bad, there has been a wealth of stuff put out,
but theres always a film they missed on releasing.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2013 12:13 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Julian, perhaps we could get a batch order in to the people in Germany.
I do wish they would do it for 16mm though!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2013 01:35 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I WANT BLADE RUNNER!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted April 04, 2013 01:35 AM
I WANT BLADE RUNNER!

I second it. Full cinemascope frame (with L/R hand side black bars), on poly and with both tracks...

--------------------
Maurizio

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 08:38 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as new Super 8 releases go. As long as it has a high re-watchability then I don't care if its newer or a classic. It just needs to be a movie I can watch constantly.

Also, does anyone know if these new Star Wars German lab prints are the theatrical or special editions?

I don't want to throw down a bunch of money only find a load of CGI in them.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 08:42 AM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original Theatrical releases.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 09:23 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phew! Thanks!

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2013 09:11 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding suggesting new releases. A batch order might a good way to get a release made for a finite number of people but it would be beneficial to suggest a movie with a good amount of appeal so it can be produced for future buyers too.

If enough people could all agree on a movie to suggest and basically let that serve as a pre-order, it might work. It would be interesting to organize a vote and see if enough people could pledge to buy a print on a unanimous selection.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 03, 2013 08:32 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie - I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but getting enough confirmed orders to make any new release - particularly features - is an enormous challenge, considering the limited market and the cost of producing a negative. It keeps coming up now and again here. A forum member, a year or two ago, was very keen to become a new distributor and make something happen - if only shorts/trailers - so he posted here several times, did considerable research, and then disappeared! Several years ago, enthusiasm expressed here for a feature release of 'Terminator 3' even resulted in Derann taking deposits but that failed too.

Phil Sheard of CHC often says that people never tell him what they want - and if I tell him what I want, he says no one else has asked for it - so at the very least a bit of organisation here could result in him and Steve O being given the names of several collectors who have said they would definitely buy a particular release.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2013 10:53 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian I am on Ernie's side. I don't know why, but must of the websites of business related to S8, 16mm and 8mm are really bad. I don't know how Phil Shepard from CHC make his marketing analysis but I can tell you his website sucks. It doesn't have any kind of contact or request form. Links are broken, no search engine, even getting a list of titles via email is a pain, etc. Many S8 vendors aren't even members of forums like this, other won't sell outside there country of origin, as someone said before in this forum "sometimes it seems as if they weren't interested in selling at all".

I think this forum and a couple others, are the right places to do the polls to find out what are film collectors interested in. Some might find Terminator 3 or Titanic great, IMHO they are really crappy movies, but I don't think finding 20+ customers in the forums might be that difficult. Can some say exactly how many are needed to make a profit out of printing a new film?

I suggest moderators open a poll thread to help with this research. I can imagine not all films are readily available to make S8 copies, so another option might be that the copies that do the printing do a poll listing the titles that could eventually be printed in S8. I could list 100 features I would love to own, but it is useless to do it in this forum thread, because it will eventually fade into oblivion.

You can count me on: Blade Runner, Sigin' in the Rain, Star Wars (1977 original), 2001, Pulp Fiction, Raider of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, Snatch, The Godfather, Sweet Smell of Success, Godfellas the list goes on and on and on.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 12:56 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that idea. A poll here on what you would put money down for is a great idea.

I am sure you would get enough takers to do Bladerunner, The original Star Wars trilogy, Indy and Alien/Aliens straight up.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 01:22 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several titles suggested can be found used. Indy, Star Wars, Alien(s), etc..

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 02:10 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A poll, a poll!!!
Yes, Julian, you are right! I really think that a poll would be a step into the right direction.
So could the mods please....?

I watched Scorseses "Hugo Cabret" for the third time yesterday - this great film is my biggest wish on S8!

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 02:30 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a poll would be a fun experiment no matter what.

I'll make a Google Doc form and people can vote there.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This idea was originally posted as films that Derann should make.
I don't remember the original name of the thread, but it's on this Forum.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 07:26 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Places to look for possible titles for the POLL.
IMDB to 250 films ( http://www.imdb.com/chart/top ), this is an all taste list, it covers commercial cinema, art house, "foreign films", etc, so nothing could go wrong, even Star Wars is top ranked!

My favorite lists are those made every 10 years by the British Film Institute Sight and Sound magazine, take in account there are 2 different lists, favorite films selected by top film directors (which I prefer) and the top film critics list (as expected somewhat more complex selection). It's very interesting to see how the list has change over the decades. Vertigo is now consider the first ranked in the critics poll, I think the movie is OK, but not Hitchcock's best and I would never consider it the number one film in cinema history, but such is life and polls. IMDB top 250 Sight and Sound critics poll Sight and Sound directors poll IMDB top

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 08:36 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two topics from this Forum that discuss new film releases

Derann is asking What would you like to see in 8mm?

What We Would Like to See Released (Take 2!)

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 10:27 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Julian and Michael! These resources will be very helpful.

I'm going to pool together a large list and widdle down based on various factors. I'll hopefully have this up tomorrow!

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to throw cold water on this thread, but I was lead to believe
that ANYTHING was available, so as I PREVIOUSLY stated, anything
in a dozen or so titles are there for the not so discerning viewer
as long as it is STAR WARS related or INDIANA JONES, is that the
best?

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 03:13 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,

The structure of your statement seems to be clouding your point. Would you mind rephrasing? Maybe it's just me but I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to say?

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 03:58 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hugh is saying the following:

Any title in the history of cinema can be printed. But the forum is limited to choosing any title from one of the three Star Wars movies or one of the three Indy movies. Hence, the choice is reduced to choosing one from six specific titles.

Right Hugh? I apologize if I am wrong.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 04:19 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why the forum is limited to choosing from those specific releases.

I'm not really clear on that.

I mean anything can be printed but there are other factors. Source availability, licensing, etc.

Hugh are you saying that a majority of people just want Star Wars and Indy; and the other titles like Rear Window are just alternatives for the few who are looking for something different?

If so, I can't agree with that sentiment. Just looking back at old posts there's an overwhelming demand for Hammer horror flicks.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 09, 2013 08:24 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, don't get me wrong, there are folks on here, that LOVE the
"Star Wars"(OSI) sorry, that name keeps popping up, "Indiana
Jones" epics, I would LOVE to see a print of "The Big Silence"
or "The Wicker Man" on S/8, sadly it seems there are a handful
of titles that quite frankly are not on my 100th list.Indeed, I was
of the belief that any film was up for grabs, but the same old line up is trotted out.Akshay is "on the ball" when he says the same
films are available. Surely, there are collectors out there that require something more than Hollywood pap.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC