8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Paul Foster Films website update (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Paul Foster Films website update
Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 12:44 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well said andy [Razz]

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to ask the people who have been reading this forum ,how would they have felt and what opinion would they have give. if they would have bought a film and film was not as described and complained and was offered no refund

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 01:59 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean like ebay? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 02:17 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also bought some prints from Paul foster's lists and never had any problem.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been reading this and cant believe that so many are giving paul foster a hard time ,hes a good dealer and ive had many films from him over the years and no complaints ,theres not many good proper dealers left now not just in the uk but world wide and films on dealers lists are much better price wise and very often quality wise than ebay ,ive personalty brought alot from ebay but now thinking of just buying from dealers and maybe some on here because prices are so high ,i know with our hobby its a waiting game for some prints to turn up ,im evern thinking of doing regular visits to chc evern though its over 100 miles from me ,the bottom line is we need to support these guys to help kep 8mm/16mm alive ,thats just my view on it

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought two films last week from Paul Foster and they arrived (well packed) the following day ! For some reasons I will not developp here I haven't had the opportunity to screen the films, yet buit had never any problem in the past. I would think that if a dealer (whatever he sells) is not correct he cannot stay twenty years in business.

--------------------
Dominique

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
films galore at my northwest film fair blackpool 16th nov
150 plus super8 and 16mm films in the auction and the famous bring and buy support this number one venue
remember use it or lose it

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with Paul and I can't believe the comments about him posted on here, I think it's obvious why lists are not put on here from dealers as it's happened in the past where they have been crucified, a certain dealer was so upset with what he read here he hasn't posted a list since, another dealer keeps a close eye on the forums but doesn't post for fear of unfair comments,there are plenty of rogues out there on ebay who will sell you utter rubbish at the drop of a hat but the dealers I've used over the years are quite the opposite, Paul Foster included, , Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its like the blind leading the blind.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 03:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Meaning?... Look, it's like Tom, Mark and others have said, if you have a bad experience you simply don't shop there again. These are registered traders at the end of the day so if everyone is being upfront and honest, then there are no issues either way and plenty of protection law for the buyer.

I have dealt with every dealer in the country that now sell super 8mm film. Most times my experiences are good. When they are not, i let them know fairly, but in no uncertain terms, that I will not accept being ripped off.

So far, I have never had an issue with any, if the goods were not up to expectation (and my expectations are always realistic based on price, film stock, description etc etc) then because I am a very fair and honest person, then the response I get back has so far always been favourable.

Obviously, like anyone else, I have my favourites, but no dealer has so far done me a disservice and if they ever did, i would resolve it using the appropriate channels, I hope, without feeling aggrieved and therefore having to resort to just slagging off publicly the few facilities that are left now.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting topic, I think this was discussed earlier in the year
with no response to name them and shame at that time. I use Ebay for most if not all my purchases this year, apart from a couple off this forum from fellow members. I know Paul has an Ebay account so does Ian at Perrys movies. Just wondered what Ian would have done in both these cases from Paul and Maurizio ?. I attended the Blackpool show years ago, but found it more like a closing down sale at Rackhams, bloody stampede springs to mind and to add to that, a guy tried to go to the front of the cue, so I had word with him to remind him where the back of the cue was. If I go this year it would be to meet fellow collectors to discuss our shared interest in the hobby.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 04:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
hope to see you there Paul, but hope you are behind me in the QUEUE unless you fancy a game of snooker mate. [Wink]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 05:15 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Ha, perhaps the "cue" would have persuaded him to move more
quickly than he did.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 05:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
nice one mate.. good crack! [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 05:27 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can account for every single word I wrote, since I usually retain all of my emails, and frankly speaking, I find it rather annoying the fact my experience has been overlooked in some ways. I have been in this hobby for more than 30 years now and consider myself a discerning collector/filmmaker; so I do have 'reasonable expectations', based (repeat: based) on what is described in a list. "All films in very good condition" means no tramlines. True it is in my case it was a film older than 25 years, so one should expect some color fade (which was present but I didn't complain about that), some dirt, some "occasional" scratches, which mean they should not distract from the viewing experience. If they do, because these scratches are too heavy and/or consist in tramlines (even around the centre of the frame), the print is not acceptable, nor can it be defined - based on sheer common sense - in very good condition. Then of course we all must be thankful to the people in the business for keeping the hobby alive - that goes without saying - but every buyer should be put in the condition to choose (by knowing beforehand) if a specific print has flaws so that he can choose if he wants to live with them or not BEFORE buying. That's being fair to me. Is Paul Foster always fair? Maybe. With me (and at least another person or two) not 100% Was it a mistake, or something else? I don't know, since he didn't reply to the last of my emails.
Also, re.: the opportunity to write comments like this in the forum, I'd like to say there should be no problem: this is not for advertising, it's to exchange experiences and ideas, that's what we do when we talk about problems on hard/software, where to buy this and that, etc etc. Why should it be different when it comes to rating a seller? Actually this might even improve the service: perhaps in the future he will avoid this kind of problems. Finally, Andrew, what do you mean with: "i let them know fairly, but in no uncertain terms, that I will not accept being ripped off"?

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Maurizio. clearly the system I was stating "didn't work" for you. All I can say to any of our oversee's collectors who are not 100% satisfied with our service here in old blighty is, just put your complaint in the hands of one of us if e mail isn't getting you anywhere. Being within 50 miles of the place of origin is a lot better than being several thousand miles away for getting a resolve when such problems arise!

Likewise when I need service in Italy, Sweden, USA or Germany we can reciprocate the favour if we all do each other a good deed.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 05:54 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 05:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope to be of service next time you are disappointed Maurizio.

--------------------

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 06:07 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to obtain my films from many different sources, such is the spice. Some of these I get for a friend so I always screen them first. Once in awhile I get burned but it is rare. I have gotten films from Paul Foster in the past, some just last week. They arrive from the UK fairly quick and I have always been pleased with his service.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get "burned" Clay, just spend the money first chasing any issues up you may have, then claim via our small claims court if not "as described". Shouldn't ever come to that hopefully if you have "good" relations with the dealer.

--------------------

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 06:48 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so right. My two negative experiences were here in the US, both were Ebay and both got resolved. One was a digest that was completely "mummified" in it's case, so bound up in duct tape and cellophane that it took me 15 minutes to extract it from it's tomb and once I did, the smell of vinegar was so strong!! Did they think I wouldn't notice or something? Ha. Anyway, I have had very good purchases from the UK as well as France, Germany, Belgium and Greece. I suppose it is as you said Andrew, if you have a bad experience you simply don't shop there again. So far I've been quite fortunate in having the good experience.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2014 04:39 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Maurizio. your post has far from been overlooked, especially by me. i understand fully and agree with what you have said. this forum is to air you views and experiences. good or bad. no one should be in the position of buying from a dealer without the security of knowing should a problem arise it will be dealt with fairly. obviously in our cases we were not. what i also find very sad is the selfishness shown in some of the replies. being more concerned about loosing a dealer or not getting lists. than the unfair treatment to fellow collectors. should it have been them that had recieved a film not as described i think we would have seen very different replies and views. i also stand by what i said about film fairs. as David Guest has said. use it or loose it. the Blackpool film fair for one is a great event at a superb venue.and should be attended by all who can.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2014 07:01 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only bought a couple of things from Paul, and everything was OK.

I have had problems with most of the dealers at one time. They were always resolved, with me been left happy.

This included Derann, Powell Films, P.M. Films and quite a few more.

The worst was Mountain Films title Golden Voyage Of Sinbad a very poor print in every way. I never did get a good copy of it. I just gave up in the end.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2014 08:35 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what i also find very sad is the selfishness shown in some of the replies. being more concerned about loosing a dealer or not getting lists. than the unfair treatment to fellow collectors. should it have been them that had recieved a film not as described i think we would have seen very different replies and views. i also stand by what i said about film fairs. as David Guest has said. use it or loose it. the Blackpool film fair for one is a great event at a superb venue.and should be attended by all who can.
Thank you, Paul: in addition to empathizing with me, you supplied me with the word I was looking for: "selfishness", that's exactly what was missing so far, and very sad for me too, because it seems sellers (more or less) professional are more important than establishing lasting relationships among people who share the same interest; funny, I've always thought it's this very kind of 'bond' which prompts (compels?) each of us to reply a query, to give advice, to counsel and praise others for their achievements, whenever the opportunity to do so presents itself. But now it sounds like we are guilty for not receiving what we were supposed to get, and all the more so, for letting others know, as if silence were better.

I hope I can meet you and David at the next BFCC. Roger and over

--------------------
Maurizio

Lee Panton
Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2014 08:49 AM      Profile for Lee Panton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would never deal with him again.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC