8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » THE BOHEMIAN GIRL with Laurel and Hardy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE BOHEMIAN GIRL with Laurel and Hardy
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2017 09:05 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE BOHEMIAN GIRL with Laurel and Hardy
Super 8 B&W magnetic sound
4x400' reels, 70 minutes
Blackhawk

The last and weakest of their operetta spoofs, this nevertheless has the boys in good form throughout. The film is worth it just for the pickpocket scene through the scene at the tavern where the boys divide up their spoils.

The print is very-very good, but just short of being excellent. It is very sharp, and the faces are not washed-out. The first three 400' reels are printed just a tad dark, but this is corrected in the 4th reel. The sound is great.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2017 02:14 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again I've got it on 16mm but I disagree that it was their weakest operetta. Definitely my wife's favourite and some great sketches, particularly when Stan is bottling home brew in the caravan. Mine too is an excellent print and good sound.

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2017 07:43 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to add, that this is one of my favorites too! My Blackhawk print is a bit dark in the first three reels too, and in the beginning of the fourth reel while Stan is filling the bottles, unfortunately is a bit washed out for the first few minutes. I think any of their films that they did with Mae Busch, was a good match!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 07:02 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to point out that Blackhawk replaced all the main titles on this.

Terry,

Is your 16mm a Blackhawk, Film Classics, or another? Does it have original titles?

thanks

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 06:05 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some nice sketches but I prefer by L&H films without the operetta sequences.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph
Mine is a Blackhawk and it looks like the original credits have been replaced with just plain white print on a black background. Nevertheless a stunning print.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 09:10 AM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Terry. Blackhawk 16mms of Laurel and Hardy are usually originals that look great.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 11:14 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, this has turned up several times on eBay since we started talking about it, albeit in 16mm.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC