8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Bell and Howell 2585

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Bell and Howell 2585
Bill Kind
Junior

- posted March 20, 2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Bill Kind   Email Bill Kind   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, new to the forum and new to using film projectors. I recently was given the task of converting old 16mm films. I have a Bell and Howell 2585 projector that seems to be working fine, but when I project the film, I am unable to get an image that can be made out. It almost seems that the speed is too fast, but I don't see any speed adjustment on the 2585 model. Also, how far away from the wall/screen should I set up the projector? Sorry for the questions, but I'm a novice and looking forward to dusting off these old film reels. Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 20, 2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without a variable speed projector you will see flicker on your video. I'm not familiar with the specs on the 2585...but if it can run at 24fps and if your camcorder can record and 24fps...you will have better results. If not then you will need another projector to do telecine transfers.

Here are a couple alternative setups I've used with good results.

Keystone Variable Speed 16mm Projector Model 160 projected to a mirror and ground glass telecine unit.
 -

This method is more like you are doing. I'm using a Elmo 16CL running at 24fps and recording with a Canon HV40 using the 24f setting.
 -

[ March 20, 2015, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Kind
Junior

- posted March 20, 2015 06:12 PM      Profile for Bill Kind   Email Bill Kind   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just got one reel to project nicely, great clarity. Now the 2nd reel is once again flickering and make a flickering noise.

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 06:13 PM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The Hobby [Smile]
I have a 16mm B&H model 535. I also just purchased for a very reasonable amount a Singer 16mm projector.
I love your set up Turly nice and there's a Great Picture really Nice truck.

--------------------
Live life to the fullest each and every day. You never know when you will be called home to Glory.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 21, 2015 03:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Referring to Bill Kind's comment, are you releasing the auto-thread mechanism after you have had the film run through the projector at the start?
In auto-thread mode all guides and rollers are open to allow the film to run through. After it has threaded correctly, it is necessary to release the auto thread to allow normal projection.
Stop the projector when the film has got enough to fit on the take-up spool, then give a gentle dug on the film. This will release all the guides.
With the standard 2" lens you will get a picture 4' wide at 21', and pro-rata.

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Kind
Junior

- posted March 21, 2015 08:30 PM      Profile for Bill Kind   Email Bill Kind   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what it was Maurice, thank you!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 22, 2015 03:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have the Instruction Book the release is not always clear to a new owner.
The auto-thread lever is quite obvious, but the release action is not.
You can also do it manually by pushing, to the left, the roller after the sprocket, this is where the pull of the film activates the release.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 04:12 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a similar requirement to tug the film to release the auto-threading guides on the Elf(Eiki) ST/M and RT projectors and no doubt others.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC