8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Mickey Rooney R.I.P.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mickey Rooney R.I.P.
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 07, 2014 02:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mickey Rooney has died, aged 93.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 02:51 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news, what a ledgend he was
R.I.P.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 07, 2014 05:10 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a shame. It was nice to know he was still around.

Best Mark.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 06:41 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, very sad to see, I was literally reading his bio few days ago on the Internet. It sad he was abused later in life. Such a wonerful actor him and Judy Garland

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 07:11 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad. He was one of the two movie stars that were still around that I wanted to meet (him and Dick Van Dyke). Mickey was virtually the last star that streched back to the silent era.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 07, 2014 10:45 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mickey may have been small in stature...but a gigantic talent. R.I.P.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 09, 2014 01:35 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading the turmoil over his will, sad to see that kind of thing going on.

Anyway I do remember him in such movies as the 1937 film "Captains Courageous"....and what a cast.
 -

The photo below.... in 1979 "The Black Stallion" was released and Mickey Rooney really fitted the part well as the horse trainer in that film.
 -

Must run the Super8 print again sometime in the near future.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 09, 2014 07:40 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching my super 8 print of That's Entertainment 3 last night and it ocurred to me that Debbie Reynolds is now the only surviving star of the original hosts, and the last link to MGM's golden era.
Unlike Gene Kelley, Mickey really liked L.B. Mayer, and he loved every day that he spent working on the MGM lot. He was of course devoted to Judy Garland.
If anyone thinks Mickey could not act, watch him in Requiem For A Heavyweight.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mickey was here in Milton Keynes a few years back at our local theatre doing the Christmas pantomine. He often attended church services on Sunday and was a great pleasure to meet him in person. I could have spent hours talking to him. A great guy and very entertaining and talented person. Just appearing in panto takes a lot of energy and he had plenty of that on meeting him. Glad that he came over here to entertain us and wish he rests in peace now.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 09, 2014 04:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Colin, what a treat for you to meet Mickey Rooney! I am sure all of us here would have loved to sit down with Mickey and hear all his stories of MGM.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 04:03 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://youtu.be/T2tZ7ca076k

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 10, 2014 03:09 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very short clip from 1935, with Mickey Rooney as "Puck". The you-tube video is called "Puck's Soliloquy" and is well worth watching.

http://youtu.be/_vK0GxT9z9k

Graham

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC