8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blu Ray Steelbooks, any thoughts. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Blu Ray Steelbooks, any thoughts.
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 06:12 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all want Mark staying with us, putting his blu rays in a cupboard and setting his film projector again to get what digital cannot provide : pleasure of manipulating something real.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 06:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Would that be Julie or Jordan though Dominique? [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 06:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That question must be unanswered for one of Barry's quizz [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 08:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always a hot debate when we are talking digital vs film.

Cmon guys some people are still proudly driving an old VW although faster cars are available cheap.

Yes..it is a hobby... [Smile]

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 11:10 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always a hot debate when we are talking digital vs film.

Cmon guys some people are still proudly driving an old VW although faster cars are available cheap.

Yes..it is a hobby... [Smile]

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 11:26 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all enjoy watching movies and I think it just falls into 2 catagories....

There are some who just enjoy movies and do so on the best available format...whatever that is....at one time it was film....now it is something else.

And then there are some who enjoy the format just as much as the movies....namely film and everything that comes with it....

Any time digital formats are spoken in a positive way it always turns into a debate....it's kind of funny.

Bill [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 12:20 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Mark was only asking what we thought about nice boxes and now look what has happened! [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Ah well, since we seem to be into this again, from my own point of view I love film and can't see myself giving it up. My Beaulieu has cost me dear in time and money this year alone but I have enjoyed keeping it going and running "real" film.

Although when I referred to the Dr. Who movies, I was expressing my opinion that if you want to see them properly, Blu-ray is currently the way to go, as the quality is stunning.

I agree with Bill's comments, but I think a lot of us fall into both categories.

I think most of us love real film or else we wouldn't be here, but I wish we could talk digital in general yak without it becoming accusational.

Anyway, those steel boxes are lovely.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 02:09 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it appears to me that to many on here their hobby has in fact turned into an obsession.and im not talking about really enjoying your hobby. i mean OBSESSION. i have said before you use what suits. but why oh why do film users feel so threatened whenever someone gives their opinions re digital.i for one am not trying to convert anyone.and i dont think other digital users are. i am just like others saying what they prefer and enjoy.it really is just a hobby and interest.i also thought everyone on this sites main interst was their love of the movies. if you go beyond that. well you yourselves know what it does to you. have fun and enjoy film/digital etc. but let it become an obsession and well, we all really know where that can lead.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 02:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Between "just an hobby" and "obsession", there is also "passion"...

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 02:54 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as a alcoholic would say. im not an alcoholic.i just like a drink.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 02:56 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean that all those who appreciate a good wine vs a cheap one are alcoolic ? I don't think so.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 03:30 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not getting the point. passion to me can be just like obsession. ive seen many many collectors where their film collecting has taken over their lives. and to many has caused financial stress. i have seen it many times at film fairs open days etc. i remember one instance at blackpool . at the end of the day a collector had spent £600 on two features from Derann. he freely admited it was on his credit card which he could really not afford but he could not help himself. addicted you might say. i see many on here like that. their hobby has taken over their lives. addiction.obsession.passion. call it what you like. but its there.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 03:41 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you are describing can also occur with digital. I went to a shop with a friend who spent over 200 € for blu rays (several in 3d). And he is not collecting them. he's interested in music, not in films. So I can imagine someone who's in movies spending a lot of money in dvd and blu rays and in projectors (new models come all the time on the market). So, digital doesn't prevent you from foolish behaviour. Only a doctor can.

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 05:09 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a hobby that's under threat; first we had VHS, that almost destroyed the hobby, now we have digital projectors, so you are not confined to watching films on the TV. Some who stayed with the hobby have now abandoned it in favour of digital projection. Gradually as we get older, the number of collectors gets less; there are few people able to service the machines; though fortunately they were well built. The number of available machines will gradually get less as people like to post how they binned 3 Eikis' and an Elmo. Why not offer free for spares or repair?; then we have the dreaded VS, the artist who destroys film in the name of art, or cuts the film up to sell as cels; others who bin films to use the reel as a wall decoration, or turn a good projector into a table lamp.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 05:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally am at a very different stage in my life this time around in the hobby.

In the 90's living with ex wife, I had an enormous mortgage and a young daughter etc etc. I was left with no other option really than to pull away from the hobby and enjoy all things projected digitally, just a point Derann were peaking in their desirable releases as far as I was concerned.

Now, some 24years later, I have a small mortgage a brilliant second wife who doesn't shoot for the stars, while still being lucky enough to be in the same job I was in all those years ago ( at least for the time being ).

This time around, I have been lucky enough to purchase some of my most desired films and equipment that back then or even earlier, I could have only ever dreamed of.

If I were a millionaire, this hobby probably would become an obsession for someone like me. I am of course not.
As such, I buy what I can when I can and my feet stay very firmly on the ground.

I have used credit cards to buy films but only as everyone uses them who is sensible in that it enables me to buy a film at a time when perhaps I have already spent my film budget that month.

With film and equipment, you have to buy when these things surface in many cases and to that end, I will purchase by any means if the timing isn't great for me.

Will this one day see me bankrupt in the way Mark Silvester almost did by his own admission?
No...I am never compelled to buy everything I see, I am a patient person, after all whatever it is, I've already waited this long.

I am passionate about the gauge and the hobby but I am I possessed or obsessed?
I don't think so somehow , nor do I think I am in denial or foolish enough to lose the real things in life that are important all because of some whirring cogs and printed plastic.lol.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to true Dominique. im not saying just on film. it can happen in any hobby. but i have seen so much of it in this in this forum. its an underlying obsession. so much so that sometimes the person cannot see it themselves.but its there. beleive me its there.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice little post from Mark Todd - and unfortunately, a "knee jerk reaction"...

I agree with your comments Paul Barker - you and others bring a little bit of sanity me thinks.

I noticed no previous mention within this post of people being encouraged to give up their cine collection for digital all can and does exist - with me it is entertainment on the "big" screen. I dabble a bit in 8mm but primarily in v/projection...where one or two who have posted saying this forum and others are turning "digital" is ludicrous and does reflect a "blind" obsessive compulsion - I should know as I treat people for such in my day job with the NHS!

Relax...life is short enough. Some people ought to not get SO defensive! Lol [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 05:51 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well said Mark. you know exactly what i am saying. as you if anyone knows. and you have been open enough to admit. some courage there i think.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 06:02 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you would have seen these comments in the Small Format Film Forum, also another one called The Jubilee Regal, which is almost entirely devoted to digital projection. The forum is run by an ex-projectionist.
The one good thing to come out of the decline of film use, is the availability of 16mm projectors at affordable prices, plus being able to purchase feature films that were never available on Super 8.

[ July 23, 2015, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Robert Crewdson ]

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 08:22 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Paul and Mark!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I started the thread not as a digital V,s film thing more from a point that for myself coming from filmie doings I find the steelbooks add a great little bit of tangiable filminess and buzz similar to how nice film boxes used to make me feel.

Check out these two Dr Who Steelbooks

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/dr-who-and-the-daleks-zavvi-exclusive-limited-edition-steelbook/11149767.html

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/daleks-invasion-earth-2150-a.d.-zavvi-exclusive-limited-edition-steelbook-2000-only/11050308.html

2150 is Sold out but still pops up on ebay etc and they do sometimes come back in on zavvi.

I find if you are steady with them they don`t damage too eaily, but I just love the feel of them.

Pleased to hear the qaulity of the Blu Rays is so good thanks, can`t wait.

I have the 2150AD sealed and ready to open when my 2 eldest lads pop round and the new one out on the 3rd of august on order.

You can pick up steelbooks from around a fiver up new.

I`m still in to films, mainly trailers and shorts and love running them, but for me features wise this is a really nice little avenue.

I just ordered The adjustement Bureau for £5 new sealed delivered steelbook.

Ordinary blu rays coming in the post are OKish though not really exciting at all, but I find a steelbook on the way in the post and opening it up, for me is the best thing next to a real film so just thought I`d mention it as might be real fun for other chaps too on here.

Best Mark.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 09:59 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pity we can't have a discussion without the verbal abuse coming in . Not surprised a number have left.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 09:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least I had been honest to my self since 2006:

I love the format more than the contain

[Big Grin]

Guys please be honest...you love the format than what is inside the format....

I wouldn't buy Tom & Jerry collection in DVD although it is only $5 for 6 episodes...but rather buying a scratchy TJ episode for $10 [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2015 04:22 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that no new 16mm features are available to buy and what small amount of film stuff is still being produced is limited in choice and somewhat expensive and will become more so as film availability and usage declines and collectors age etc. . So digital projection is a means of achieving the big screen experience that modern day viewers happily accept. That leaves us 16mm collectors having to fall back on available prints that are suffering the effects of age, and we all know what those are. So, we end up fishing in a smaller pool. But we don't stop fishing!!! This is a film forum and long may it remain so. I wouldn't want anyone to feel they can't post (that's what general Yak takes in) but I really don't want to find loads of digital expression diluting it. Many of us appreciate blu-ray but my emphasis and interest is 16mm with all it's faults and problems. We've got the best of both worlds. Long may it remain so.

--------------------
Dave

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of steelbooks, I do have some in my collection of about 300 blu rays. Personally, I am more interested in the picture and audio quality than the packaging.
It's interesting to read on blu ray forums how some people actually hold off buying the standard blu ray editions if a steelbook version is coming out later (even though content wise, they are usually the same).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC