8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blu Ray Steelbooks, any thoughts. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Blu Ray Steelbooks, any thoughts.
Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 06:06 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the story of the chap getting little back in p/x is a very common thing. i think it is always best to sell on privately. but yes i saw it happen quiet a lot. much to the dismay of the collector. i think to some though paying a high price for a film gives it more of an importence to them. dont know why. but it does.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 26, 2015 06:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I cannot stress enough the importance of a full description of which you have asked ALL of the questions, what stripe,emulsion scratches, colour??? Etc etc.... and insist on screenshots especially with people who you have never dealt with before.

You will still get the odd line surfacing here and there or the odd reel where the sound is terrible as the sellers have conveniently overlooked that section of the film when checking it, but overall your disappointments should be drastically reduced doing all of the above.

When I've been ripped. I make sure I never deal with that person again so they'll only have me over once!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I tell my wife what I'm going to buy and remind her it's a one off she just laughs and says 'you can always justify the cost'. She's slept through every great classic you can mention so film doesn't mean a thing to her. I've had a t.v. put into our front room so she can happily watch Jeremy Kyle while I wallow in nostalgia and sentiments of another age. And yes, we're very happily married. Now I'm just waiting for my trailers to come and it'll be another evening in the front for her!!!

--------------------
Dave

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 26, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha. Sounds exactly like our house Dave!

Very much a man after my own heart [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 27, 2015 03:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest I completed a scan of our town and found Blu-Rays on the used shelf from £1 upwards, most being around £1.99.
I'm guessing competing shops have done the rounds and set similar prices.
 -

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 27, 2015 04:56 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are those 2nd hand Lee, they look it.

I don`t find the Blu Ray packaging very inspiring and prefer a DVD case without the blu band.

Many steelbooks have a nice picture etc from the film inside which is very nice. I noticed my dvd copy of kes has and I wish they had done that more with DVD,s.

I might repack some of my blu Rays in to DVD cases and use the steelbook artwork to fluff them up a bit.

I,ve been printing a few pics offline for my trailer reels on glossy phto printing paper and they look very nice.

Hope we get a few more really classic films out in steelbooks at a fair price.

I bought the Grinch Blu Ray last week steelbook new for £6.50 posted and its really nice.

I see the 4K machines come out September-ish, though I`m not sure why they are bothering really, be better to push Blu Ray which is more than good anyway. Better transfers on to Blu Rya would make more sense.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 27, 2015 05:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
4k will be perfect for projectors Mark, for those who have the money to purchase the high end video projectors.

I think then, the images will surpass even what you see at your local Imax given the size of home cinema screens.

Certainly should beat the images from a 35mm projector hands down I would have thought, even if arguably they don't already!

You can never have too much clarity in an image and I think the quality of the lenses fitted to video projectors of the 4k type will perhaps be the weakest link in terms of the sheer clarity and brilliance of the image that hits the screen.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2015 06:01 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as i thought Lee. titles no one really wants. certainly not me anyway. hence low prices.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 27, 2015 06:24 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you could say that about anything Paul, cars, 16mm but rather depends on what titles you are looking for. Picked myself a backup BR disc of 'Super 8' £1.50 just in case the case fades. [Eek!]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 28, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi just one of my steelbooks for filmie interest. An offline pic until I borrow a camera.

Best Mark.

-

-

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 08:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to debate between (the quality of) digital vs film but it is already proven, we collected VHS/Betamax, then LD, later DVD and now BluRay...they are going to rubbish bin eventually when the new format arrive.

DVDs (120 minutes F/L, color full, stereo, scratch free) are now sold from 50 cents to a dollar at thrift stores.

What do you price for your 200' (6 minute, color fade, mono sound, scratchy) of Tom & Jerry? At least $10.

I am using these digital formats at home for my daily entertainment but collecting super 8mm film for me is more precious since they have a long shelf live.

With all due respects, my VHS/Betamax have gone somewhere as well as my DVDs. My LDs are still here with me due to the size eqv. with LPs (my other collection), it looks nice to see them sit side by side. But I am not going to collect BluRay (read: collecting not watching), just rent or buy second hand for one time used as disposable item.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 24, 2015 03:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned the stacked Blu-Ray shop in Blackpool selling very low cost movies. Popped over to take a snap just in case anyone wants to visit in November. The guy who owns the shop is really welcoming and great to talk to about movies.
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2015 03:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be lovely if the film conventions sold only films and left the DVD and Blu Ray sales to HMV or Amazon?

Blackpool is a long trip for many for something you can receive free in the post ...so long as you spend more than a tenner! [Wink] [Big Grin]

[ August 24, 2015, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 02:04 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing is Andrew, without the dvd's, blu-rays and books etc.there wouldn't be enough tables to make a visit worthwhile or to pay the cost of hiring the venue. When I first went to the BFCC it was almost totally film which, with the disappearance of folk like Derann and LGP etc. has speeded up the decline of film availability and increased the visibility of digital software along with books and film memorabilia. The shows all day and the possible bargain still make it a great day out and we shifted a lot of film titles at the last one and will probably do the same at the next.

--------------------
Dave

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2015 04:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that is sad news indeed David! No wonder I don't kick myself these days for missing these events.

I must admit, I'm really only interested in visiting a film convention if there are displays full of the very best equipment and films ever released on super 8mm.

I really wouldn't bother going if I thought the vast majority of produce up for grabs was 16mm or worse still Blu ray / dvd / film paraphernalia

Maybe the best days for these conventions are well and truly behind us now for collectors like me, I say that with a very heavy heart. [Confused]

What a sad sorrowful state of affairs.

[ August 24, 2015, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 09:00 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but wasn't even Derann's film operations "subsidized" by their video/electronics sales? That is, with film sales declining, didn't Derann's video/electronics business enable them to stay in the film business much longer than otherwise?

Think of it -- if it weren't for their video business, we might not have had Derann in the film business for as long as they were, particularly toward the last 15 years or so of their run.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 03:45 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the opposite is true. According to one of Deranns employees the film side was still making money right up to the end but Adrian had had enough and got out. My guess is the electrical side was struggling to compete with online sales. Perhaps too they could see the impact digital was going to have on film and felt it was time to get out.

--------------------
Dave

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 25, 2015 04:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the time Derann said it was the cost of running a local brick and mortar store (utilities, insurance, etc.) that pushed them into the red.

If you think about it, that kind of a business (independent main street retailer) is an endangered species these days. People will drive right past and go to a big box retailer if they want to see the merchandise or just order it over the 'net if they don't.

Film or not, in the end Derann was just another one of these.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 04:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave's statement is bang on. If it hadn't been for new and used sales of film, from what I understand from what I have read, the shop would have more than likely had to close sooner than it did.

Consumer electronics is a very cut throat business and trying to compete with the big boys or even Richer Sounds etc with the likes of this equipment would have been virtually impossible.

One of the few benefits Derann offered over anyone else (as it certainly wasn't price) was the fact that they would part exchange your old films for new AV equipment including the latest home cinema LCD projectors back then.

Obviously this was a service that was unique to them so even if the price of the digital projector was higher than elsewhere, people were drawn to trade there so they could get the latest equipment without having to part with huge sums of money for the goods.

This, in turn, gave them the edge in having the best second hand film list of anyone back then therefore benefiting even further the film sales dept.

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 07:52 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting -- thanks. From what I've read in other sources, Derann ventured into home electronics in the late 1980s "to increase their financial strength" and that "home electronics soon became their main business" in the 1990s.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It took up a large section at the front of the store John. Bigger than the 8mm Dept from what you could see as a punter. They were attempting to move with the times and I think from what I read that initially things were good for the department.

There wasn't much austerity around in the early 90's and people wanted the latest pixel plus flat screen tv's and laser discs were popular. After around 2004 in the UK, the complexion changed somewhat.

LCD projectors had been around for some six years as had DVDs or thereabouts. People tended to shop for consumer electronics by first either looking online or buying home cinema choice etc to find the best UK prices.

This all brought about a demise of the electrical dept from what I gather and I have read that by the late 00's I think the film department was doing the best and was certainly making money still for the business.

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew -- good to hear that the film business was making money for Derann into the late 2000s.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 01:33 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Derann were still making money out of Super 8. In their last years they were running their stock down and were not producing any new prints. The problem was their striping facilities had ceased to function and they had no expertise to repair them. I think Derek was the main expert and technician in that area. The fact that Classic still release prints printed and striped in Germany shows there is a market for the product although on a smaller scale.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

think you are right Mike..certainly reflects what Derek discussed with me not long before he passed.

I had a nice chat with Phil today from Classic. I have known Phil for a number of years but not caught up in a long while. So, as his shop is only about half mile from my work premises I will be popping in to have a chat..his shop is very impressive with lot's of floor space. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 04:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes his new shop does look much better and larger from all accounts.

Why not take a few photos for us all when you visit perhaps Mark?
I am certain I am not the only one here who would be interested in seeing his new layout.

I visited his old shop,but so far haven't seen much of the inside of his new one as I haven't had chance to visit it yet.

I think Phil is crying out for some new stock especially Super 8mm quality used films as he is advertising hard these days for people to let him quote on their collections if they are moving away from the hobby.

I received a posted leaflet stating as such from him only a few months ago.
Used quality films do seem to be drying up somewhat for the time being from all of the dealers I've noticed recently and turnaround of stock does seem to be generally slow at the moment.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC