8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blu Ray Steelbooks, any thoughts. (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Blu Ray Steelbooks, any thoughts.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 04:12 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've known Phil since he first became a super 8 trader.

Good bloke.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 04:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited Phil in his new shop when I was back in July. I spent a few hours there and also had a good chat with Phil who is a very decent guy. I just took these 2 photos.

-

-

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Jonathon, looking good and a lot better organised than Phil's previous back room arrangement in his previous store! Lol.

Where does he keep his loco stuff nowadays Jonathan?
Before, it took precedence over the films right in the front of his old shop.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the posts here it looks like people with decent prints are trying for mega money on ebay and missing out dealers now.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew. His trains are in the front of the shop (with his phone sitting on my ancestor's steam locomotive!). Films are behind the counter, down a corridor to the left. There is a big rack to the right of that photo, filled both sides with 16mm. Super 8 continues to the left of the photo.
There is another room at the back with projectors. It also contained a 35mm viewer on which was his Back To The Future promo. He wasn't sure when that would be released, if at all.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am certain you are correct Brian. It is easier now than its ever been to sell your films privately without involving a dealer, if you have a quality desirable collection.

I do have sympathy and complete admiration in many ways for any of the remaining dealers.
Phil sold his last collection of Disney Derann features for £200 each irrespective of the title.

Many sell for much much higher on e bay now by private collectors and people who have sadly been left a collection by a bereaved family member.

What chance does a dealer then have of making any profit at all?

Not easy nowadays I would have thought.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Posted twice for some reason?? So deleted the first.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am certain you are correct Brian. It is easier now than its ever been to sell your films privately without involving a dealer, if you have a quality desirable collection.

I do have sympathy and complete admiration in many ways for any of the remaining dealers.
Phil sold his last collection of Disney Derann features for £200 each irrespective of the title.

Many sell for much much higher on e bay now by private collectors and people who have sadly been left a collection by a bereaved family member.

What chance does a dealer then have of making any profit at all?

Not easy nowadays I would have thought.

Jonathan, that sounds better than his previous arrangement then in that at least the films get to sit alongside the steam trains in the front of house so to speak.

When I was in his other shop once, there was an elderly chap who Phil was clearly a pal of who just had to give me the full details of a railway loco named the same as my surname as I was filling in the forms for Phil's mailing list!

This guy could tell you any journey that any train had ever made here in old Blighty! Ha ha ha.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 05:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jonathan. I was wondering about the Back To The Future promo reel. It is not easy to have informations about any new releases or projects of new super 8 films.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2015 05:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I do hope that one comes off. I would love to have anything "Back to The Future" on film!

--------------------

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2015 07:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have to ask Phil but I didn't get the impression that he would be releasing BTTF promo in the near future.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 26, 2015 12:51 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phils is waiting for people showing their interest before releasing a film and people like me are waiting for informations it is released before buying :-) There is sadly a lack of informations about the new releases on Phil's website, I I may say that, such as a describtion of the content and the prices. That probably doesn't help the sales.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 26, 2015 03:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe by the time we get it, the film will simply be called "The Future" [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2015 11:04 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil is constantly asking what collectors want but it seems to me that the small number prepared to pay the cost of new prints all want something different. Paul Foster told me that getting hold of films was getting more difficult and I noticed that there's been nothing under the A section for some time. Must be increasingly difficult for dealers to compete with online sales especially when titles particularly sought after go for prices far beyond what they normally sell at.

--------------------
Dave

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2015 11:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dave

Regarding your comment that nothing has been listed under the A section on Paul Foster's website, if you are referring to the 16mm features section you will find it is a blip in the page's HTML code - simply scroll down and you will find the A to C listings.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 26, 2015 12:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Super 8mm goes, Dave's comments echo exactly what I was saying recently regarding a lack of top titles with the dealers. Not their fault of course, but a tricky situation all around.

We all want the dealers to have titles we want to buy and at prices which we are prepared to pay for them but no one now is going to sell a low fade feature in good Nick for 50 or 75 pounds.
So how can they fulfil our needs?

--------------------

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2015 03:53 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks kevin. Thought it was a bit odd that there was nothing but hadn't found the A-C's at all. I'll have another look. Things don't look over wonderful for our hobby. We're a declining number fishing in a declining pool. But at least there's still the hope that we'll hook something really great so we carry on. Fortunately, our enjoyment doesn't rely upon new product (though we wish it was available) but just the opportunity to run what we've got and share our pleasure and knowledge with one another.

--------------------
Dave

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 27, 2015 04:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there are plenty looking to buy still, as whatever new second hand quality titles come in the dealers,they seem to get sold very quickly indeed (certainly the case on 8).
So there is absolutely no shortage of interest out there, just a lack of quality prints being offered to the dealers, it would appear.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 27, 2015 05:37 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the high prices are the main problem for many flmmakers or collectors. The price of the filmstock has noticeabily increased recently. Although the choice of reversal stock has declined, there is still an interest for it. Even in 9.5, there is demand for camerastock. Waiting for Ferrania, new super 8 Kahl cartridges are again available since a few weeks. CHC and the Reel Image have new titles on super 8 films and if there is a sufficient demand and support they can print other ones. So it's up to us...

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC