8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Spool Adapter (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Spool Adapter
Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 01:20 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have never seen the 9,5mm clips. But no problem. We will also make these! Give us a couple of weeks.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 23, 2015 03:19 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much !!!!!

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 02:48 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, there are plastic 9.5mm film clips around. Larry pearce used to sell them in little packets. I have used them in the past. I do not know who produced them or whether they are still available. Grahame Newnham may know. Ken Finch.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 23, 2015 03:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Ken. I've never seen or hear about 9.5 film clips. Maybe it was sold only in the UK. For the history of the gauge, it would be interesting to know who manufactured these clips. Grahame Newham no longer sells overseas, so I will wait for the new production.

--------------------
Dominique

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2015 03:03 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New in production, 16mm film clips

-

See: http://shop.van-eck.net/film-supplies/other/p-1a/

(we are also working on making 9,5 mm filmclips)

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 17, 2015 03:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The 9.5 adaptator mounted on my 16 mm rewind arms. Due to variations in the holes sizes from one model of reel to another, I had two reels I couldn't put on the adaptator but this isn't specific to 9.5. I faced the same problem with some super 8 spools not fitting my Beaulieu or my long play attachment unit. As I have two other 9.5 rewinders, I didn't try to force the spools by pressing too much so I don't know if at the end they would have fit. I don't think it should be a good idea to redesign the adaptator with thiner holding sticks as they need to hold firmly the reels which they do for most of them.
 -
Here you can see the ingenious system used to make this adaptator. The interest of converting the rewind shown on the picture is that you're not limited with the distance between the two parts and that's a great advantage when you "Filmguard" the film as there is more time for it to dry. In my case, these adaptated rewind arms are also lighter and are perfect to work on the table of my balcony. The only limit is the reel sizes but for someone who would have only this pair, I believe it would be easy to make a diy system to be able to use larger spools if needed.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 19, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I talked two days ago about différences between spools spécifications and guess what ? Today, I tried to put a spool on my big rewinders and it didn't hold correctly. So I tried on the Edwin's adaptator and the spool matched perfectly. Another evidence of the interst of having different kind of material :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 19, 2015 07:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You are so correct Dominique.
As said previously I use only quality spools on the Beaulieu namely Posso, Beaulieu, Elmo, Bonum, Gepe, Sankyo and Schneider.

Using only these reels you will never have any issues Dominique with reels fitting anything but perfectly on the Beaulieu.

With regard to Super 8mm spool adaptors used on either Spondon Long Play units or 16mm rewind arms with the square drives as their hub,
I haven't found any reels that WON'T fit onto Edwins brass Super 8mm adaptors that I purchased from him in this past year.

They are produced to a very high standard and the only way I felt they could be improved upon, was by fitting a M2.5 grub screw just to secure them to the brass square hubs of the Spondon unit.

I drilled and tapped mine and they are now a permanent fixture on my unit. Thoroughly recommended!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2015 07:51 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thanks all for the good feedback!

Next our brass super8 reel adaptors which you are referring you, we have now also a nylon version of the super8 reel adaptors. All reels fit to these adaptors (like the brass ones do), but they have 2 adventages over the brass ones:
1) they are cheaper
2) the material is a bit flexible, so that the adaptors will not fall of the rewinder.

Our film technicians prefer now the nylon ones over the brass ones. See: http://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=nl&size=0&cat=rewinder&merk=105&type=Rewinder%20film

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 19, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edwin I think you are providing a tremendous service in re-manufacturing parts for vintage film projectors. I really like the videos too...but unfortunately I don't speak or understand German. I can use the Google translator on your web page...but not on YouTube videos. English subtitles would be wonderful [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 19, 2015 11:34 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the video is in Dutch and not in German. Both languages are close but differents [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 19, 2015 12:04 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appologize for the wrong language identification [Smile] ...but none the less...I still need it translated [Confused]

[ July 19, 2015, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 19, 2015 02:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand each word of each sentence so what follows is just a guide. To make it easier, I put the time of the video in front of the transleted sentences. hope it can help you Janice. (0-0:10)Well. Let's explain how the different adaptors are used on different kind of films can be used (I didn't understand the word but obviousely it's the 16mm rewinder seen on the table) . (0:12-0:14)We start with the 9.5 mm adaptor. (0:17-0:29) It's special to put it on. Edwin explains what how to put the adaptor on the arm as you can see on the picture, it's tpp technical for me to translate but the video speaks for itself at that moment I think. (0:30-0:36) Then you can put the 9.5 mm reel on. (0:42-0:44)To remove : like this. (0:46-0:52) You have the other adaptors. You have the super 8 adaptor. (0:56-0:58) Super 8 spool. (1:10-1:13)The double 8 (standard/regular 8) needs just a small ring (1:25-1:31) And the 16 mm spool for which it was made for can be used without adaptor. (1:37)Here we go.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 19, 2015 04:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are terrific Dominique. Thanks. Your linguistic talent is impressive.

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 19, 2015 05:56 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Janice but I wish my Dutch level was higher. Dutch is an official language in Belgium (we're located beside The Netherlands) and so in Brussels, the capital, we learn Dutch at school. But I'm afraid I forgot a lot...

--------------------
Dominique

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2015 01:32 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Indead, it is Dutch (sound a bit like German).

Most of the movies have English subtitles. The movie with the reel adapters, actually do not need a lot of subtitles, the images speak for itself!

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 20, 2015 07:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You do a great job Edwin with both the videos and of course the service.

Please keep up the good work for us all, it is greatly appreciated!

--------------------

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 06:12 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 9,5mm filmclips are now also ready. Tested it, and works fine.

I use a similar model as the 8mm and 16mm clips, but then a different size. Guess the width :-)

Coming week I will print a small batch and put these on sale.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 07:08 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great new ! I know it is impossible to manufacture new items at the price of second hand but I noticed the 16 mm are very expensive compared with the super 8 ones. Do you already have an idea of the price of the 9.5 clips ? I can't wait to see them.

--------------------
Dominique

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 07:28 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
printing using industry quality 3D printers is currently not cheap. The price is to a large extend determined by the size of the object.

Price for 9,5mm clips is not set, but they will be cheaper then the 16mm clips, as they are smaller.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 07:47 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the precision.

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2015 08:47 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dom and Edwin etc. I think the clips produced by Larry pearce were injection moulded red plastic. They had LGP raised lettering on them and were sold in small clear plastic bags. Good to see our favourite gauge is not being neglected. It will be interesting to see the u.k.price of the new ones. The cheapest substitute I have been using is a strip of white card! Ken Finch.

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just placed my first printing order for the 9,5mm clips in Green! Hope this color is ok, but if needed, I can also deliver in red.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2015 03:55 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news. Film clips 9,5mm are now ready for sale!

-

See: http://shop.van-eck.net/film-supplies/other/p-1a/PP-0112.html

Film clips (green) for 9,5 mm films (5 pieces)

To put on the reel to prevent film to rolls off.

Also known as "Abwickelschutzclip".
Keep the film at the start of the full reel.
1 pack = 5 pieces

Weight (per 5): 2 grams
Size film clip: 11 x 16 x 8 mm

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 05, 2015 05:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What chance would any collector have now of getting hold of any of these new if it wasn't for Edwin?

Simply superb Edwin! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC