No announcement yet.

What 16mm Films Did You See Last Night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a little research on these animal films , trying to find a set of teaching guides and found out there never were any.
    (-makes this simpler, I guess.)

They are part of a series called Silent Safari, which is described like this:

" Also of particular interest was a 1971 Silent Safari series on African animals shot by Jane and Peter Chermayeff, but ignoring the usual narration so that viewers can make their own assessments of the animals' behavior."

-so we are actually watching these as the filmmakers intended.

I also found out there are many other interesting animals in the series: something to look forward to!

I kind of wish these were available in 8mm from Blackhawk, then somebody could call them up and ask if they had "Silent Safaris with sound".

Comment

• ​​​​​​I enjoyed tonight watching my low fade print of "The Goodbye Girl".

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230226_043435537~2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	75446

Comment

• A very well done 1963 French documentary about the WW II : La mémoire courte (The Short Memory). It consists of genuine footage about the daily live during the war. My copy is a more than probably a Belgian one as it has the original soundtrack in French an Dutch subtitles. I noticed that some small sections of the films are not subtiled, something I sometimes saw in other films subtitled in French, which is frustrating as you wonder what you are missing.

Comment

• My 16mm night tonight was quite an exciting one as two of the films only arrived on my door step this afternoon. I am pleased to say they were / are in great condition.

They are....

1x 1000' Sgt. Bilko - an episode entitled " Mink Inc." from 1956 where the platoon decide to breed Mink for their fur to make money.

1x 1000' Sgt. Bilko - From 1957 "Your Highness Doberman." Doberman gets a girl friend but her mother looks down on him. I love this series !

Then two odd reels.

1x 1600' - A 45 minute section of The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart

1x 2000' - Grease (Scope). It was supposed to be the last 55 minutes or so from the film. What it ended up being was a butchered copy of the full length film. Can't really complain as some of the best songs were still left in and, quite honestly, the "edit was quite good, and it only cost me pennies years ago. I couldn't be bothered to set up the scope lens for this as it would have taken ages. So..... what I did was to put the lens to my eye, rotated it and.... Wow! Cinemascope! It works ! Try it!

Comment

• Actualités de la Belle Epoque (News From The Belle Epoque) I couldn't find a translation for "Belle Epoque", it's an era that started about 1900 and ended in 1914 with WWI. Good footage from that time. Also a compilation of the songs extracted from the French film "Les trois cousines" (The Three Cousins), 1946, with Andrex and Rellys, two actors a little bit forgotten now. Another film : Vaudeville And Stars From The Twenties, the title gives an idea of the subject Last one : an episode of the mythic French musical TV programme from the '60s and 70's : Discorama. It's dated 19th March 1967 (so I watched it exactly 56 years after it's first diffusion). Among other guests, there is the famous singer Georges Brassens, who performs no less than two songs.

Comment

• i think the phrase "Belle Epoque" has become so widely used, at least in the UK, that no-one has made a translation, Dominique.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
                i think the phrase "Belle Epoque" has become so widely used, at least in the UK, that no-one has made a translation, Dominique.
                Waw. I didn't know that, Brian. Thanks

Comment

• Not at home, in Paris at the Fondation Seydoux-Pathé. The Cinémathèque 16 organized a projection of a silent film with a piano accompaniament. Before the projection, there has been an interesting introduction with a mot of slides (I put only a fraction of them below)

Name:	20230321_193032.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	77073 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_193541.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	77074 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_193550.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	77075 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_193600.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	77077 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_200046.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	77076

Comment

• Yesterday night, in Paris, also, I went at a collector's house to see a 16mm Italian film (with French subtiles) in which two brothers make projections in the '30s. The film is far from being a masterpiece but has some nice scenes.

Name:	20230322_201437.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	77148

Comment

• For my last day in Paris, another 16mm film at the Fondation Seydoux-Pathé : Monte Cristo. The programme states wrongly that the copy was incomplete, we saw the whole film.

Name:	20230323_180910.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	77157 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230323_141749.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	77158 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230323_141731.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	77159 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Watched my newly acquired print of Mingus: Charlie Mingus 1968 last night for the first time. He's a huge favorite of mine, so I was quite happy to pick this up. Also, new here... hello all.

​​
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Matt,

Welcome to the Forum! I saw this many years ago, a fascinating look at that time in his life.

Comment

• Been after a nice print of the Rescuers for ages, it was great to watch it on a big screen.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• With this being the Easter weekend, there were only two people going to be splattered across the man cave screen.

Astaire and Garland

Sadly, my 16mm copy had faded but decided to give it a run as a change to my super 8 copy which is perfect.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220324_034319123.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	78013 Wednesday night watched Robert de Niro and Meryl Streep in "Falling in Love" (1984) Friday night I watched James Belushi in "Curly Sue" (1991).

Name:	IMG_20200204_204829.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	78014

Comment

Working...
                                X