No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm triacs are designed for ac power switching. Don't think they will work well all the way down to 5V.
    Looks like the lowest voltage is 12V i.e. it will switch 12V source with some load on it.
    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/389/bta16-954517.pdf

The multi-meter has even lower voltage.

A simple solid state relay should work. Is this for your DSLR camera David?

Comment

Stan,
      I'm trying to make some changes to your v6 version Interface PCB.
      Here is the shcematic of my version 7.5 Beta with some additions to connect to my v5 PCB Panel.
      Surely there are still errors ... You can validate or not.
      I do not know if you will have the time to check. I'm too impatient for the v8!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QAF...ew?usp=sharing
      Last edited by Kamel Ikhlef; December 18, 2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I will get to that Kamel. Bruce sent me a video comparison with FlashScan8 and some Howkeye colors are off. Figured out how to fix it. Essentially it is a phase shift of blue and possibly a few more colors.
        But it looks very promising and we could have a fix for the Hawkeye color issues. I will post the procedure done in daVinci. Ultimately it would be nice to have it done in VideoFred's script.

Comment

STAN & BRUCE Thanks for your efforts to work out the color balance. It is appreciated by all. I speak for all, then!

Comment

Yes, ! Thanks a lot for all ! ...

Comment

Thank you David and Kamel for your kind comments.
              Did some color shifting in daVinci and the colors are close to Wolverine. I know that Wolverine is closer to proper colors based on Bruce's video and he used the projector to verify. The colors may not be the real life colors but we are trying to reproduce the projection on a screen or close to it.

Here is the youtube procedure on how to select the color ranges and how to phase shift them:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6NX9sIctk

Here are the screen shots of my procedure. I shifted the blue to match the color of Bruce's video and applied the same correction to my clip.
              Blue qualifier:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	daVinci_blue_qualifier.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1255
              Blue hue shift:

Name:	daVinci_blue_hue.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1256
              I also shifted the green because in comparison to Wolverine noticed that green is too strong. Possibly more correction is required but ere it is anyways:
              Green qualifier

Name:	daVinci_green_qualifier.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1253
              Green shift:

Name:	daVinci_green_hue.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1254

An the final video - keep in mind that the video is as is not cleaned up and have not run VideoFred's script yet. Used just for color comparison:
              https://kapwi.ng/c/9o8SaJty
              Attached Files

Comment

Here is how the speed switch has to be wired Kamel.

Name:	new_speed_switch.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1325

Comment

Thank you very much Stan. It's very nice ! .
                  I will finish my front control panel PCB.
                  I guess you have to reprogram the msp430 or the code was already provided?

Comment

I should have something for you by the end of the weekend Kamel. Hopefully I will have most of the V8 done so you can use it as a reference.
                    I will post the design and code on line.

Comment

It's really nice of you Stan. It will be Christmas for me, thank you in advance.
                      I had started working on a v8 (7.5) pre-release, but I think I have too many beginners errors and it is wiser for me to wait for your reference v8.
                      Last edited by Kamel Ikhlef; December 21, 2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Good morning all.

I was still on the forum except that it was no longer the right one.

Stan:
                        Thank you for putting me back on the right path.

Looking forward to reading you.
                        cordially

Alain

Comment

Welcome back Alain
                          I spent some time today finalizing the post-processing.
                          Here is what I used:
                          1. Used Nick's telecine program to capture directly into avi file, no intermediate pics. At 1FPS (my mod for 2FPS sec no longer works - need to reattach the wire)
                          2. Run VideoFreds (skipped this step because the settings too aggressive for my taste)
                          3. Exported avi from step 1 into daVinci and adjusted blue and red colors selectively.
                          4. Exported video as QuickTime H264 mov file (over 1Gbyte)
                          5. Posted in Google Photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nFvnxyqnosS97TPk8

Overall advantages to using Wolverine - my latest assessment:
                          1. You get the avi file instead of mp4 - that is the key in my opinion - fred's script can be run etc etc
                          2. Adjustment can be done on a fly or stop the scan- you still get one avi file
                          3. You can attach a variety of cams and lenses
                          4. No transfer from SD card required

I am switching back to HW... thank God.
                          Last edited by Stan Jelavic; December 22, 2019, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Looks like we could do all post-processing with Fred's script. It is a powerful tool and there is a big support group.
                            The parameters could be tweaked to suit Hawkeye. Experiment with the filter settings first in the gui and then add it to the script.
                            Have not seen the selective hue correction but looks like it can relatively easily added based on the autolevels plugin:
                            Convert rgb to YCbCr
                            When processing RGB, we convert to YCbCr.
                            The equations of note are:
                            Y' = Kr*r' + (1-Kr-Kb)*g' + Kb*b'
                            Pb = (1/2)*(b'-Y') / (1 - Kb)
                            Pr = (1/2)*(r'-Y') / (1 - Kr)

Do the phase detect and then phase correct and then convert back to rgb.

Name:	color_shift.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1408

Will look into it after the V8 is done.
                            For now I use daVinci.

Comment

Thanks very much Stan, I like using VideoFred's script but yes colours can be a little off for the Hawkeye and I am not a programmer so do not know how to make deeper program changes.
                              Film9 is easier to use and make colour adjustments, the changes can be instantly reviewed.
                              Have not had time as yet to try daVinci but a LUT would possibly be good, I assume the same LUT can be used on many other editing programs like premiere.
                              Compliments of the season to everyone.
                              P.S. Stan not sure what you meant by this comment "I am switching back to HW... thank God"

Comment

Thanks Bruce seasons greetings and best wishes to you and all others. Yes, the LUT approach can be reused by other editing software.
                                For Fred's script I will create a plugin. The colors are off due to the LEDs used. Wolverine probably do the same and shift the colors.
                                This is what I meant by switching to HW... meant the V8 work, adding USB interconnect, new trigger, connector for the capstan, power leds, and the speed switch.
                                This is easier for me that tweaking the colors and getting the dynamic range to work. Pretty tedious stuff.

But anyways got the new usb interconnect to work. Will do the schematic change tomorrow. Kamel will be happy

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mV7LcSvAcdVE5oH67
                                https://photos.app.goo.gl/uz8zsPhnag79g5HY7

Comment

Working...
                                X