No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added a small stepper delay when the sync is detected. Seems to do the trick. Will do more testing. So now I run slower than 2FPS (1.6 FPS). Tiff also works at 1.6 FPS. Will try to complete the rest of the tests this weekend.

Comment

• New version M12 Lens Holder Extension v04 :https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n-...BY1En6R0krvqWX
      Link Thingiverse : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3891738
      Last edited by Kamel Ikhlef; January 17, 2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Thanks Kamel You are certainly fast! I'll test these on the weekend.

Comment

• I just bought a microscope (50$ on banggood) to train me to make electronic welds (I continue my learning). The quality of this small microscope is quite impressive! This gave me an idea and I did a super8 film recovery test because this microscope can record mages or videos in HD on an SD card. I just taped a piece of SMPTE clip on a white piece of paper and the results are amazing. I will post the results. Just for fun !

Click image for larger version  Name:	microscope.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.2 KB ID:	2575

Comment

• Keep up a good work Kamel. I ran the test 200 ft reel a few times and the scan is stable. Gave me 1 or 2 smeared frames and that was it. Will install the cap on the trigger line today.
            Retest, and then want to update the board with the capacitor mods. Scan procedure:
            - scan at 1.6 FPS
            - tiff images on external usb drive
            - saved uncompressed video with VirtualDub at 18 FPS (like it slower) on external drive
            - reviewed video clips
            - processed with VideoFred option 4 with color settings set to blue=-1, red=-4.5 (Bruce's settings)
            - Saved resulting video with Lagarith. Came out pretty amazing.
            See it for yourself:
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yt...CCydPChqysORT4

Note: Saved at lower rez to save google drive space but even at this lower rez it comes out really nice.

Comment

• I would agree with amazing Stan! The tonal range was very good. I wonder if the reduced size contributed to an improved image, but if you think the original looks better, that's great. I watched that on a 27" 4k monitor, that will make any imperfection look worse. Looked good.

I have so many things to catch up on. Back to it.

Good progress Stan.

Comment

• Wow ! Very good work Stan. great scans, the betters since the begin of this project...
                I am looking forward your V8 improvements !

Comment

• Hi Stan, VERY nice capture and post processing, also very interesting beautiful scenery, I always loved visiting Austria and going for long hikes through the mountain trails.
                  I wonder if 720x576 would actually be enough for 8mm or S8mm film.
                  Nice job Stan
                  Regards - Bruce

Comment

• Thank you all. Glad you liked it and also glad that we are getting some quality out of this process. I will post the original resolution (1280x1024) in a few minutes for David to check. On my monitor I do not see that much difference.
                    Update on the board. I am adding a few decoupling caps and plan to go to V9. It will look neater. Ran another smaller reel with the caps tacked onto the board and did not see any false triggering which is good news.The trigger pulse looks clean on the scope.

Here is the 1280x1024 version.
                    https://drive.google.com/open?id=10T...b0Y6ZFrDBpsqXJ
                    Last edited by Stan Jelavic; January 19, 2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Looking at the two resolutions (720x576) and (1280x1024) in Photoshop there is very little difference, 1280 does have a little more detail but it is only noticeable when zoomed in otherwise I can not really see any difference.

Comment

• Stan,
                        V9 Very good lucky number?
                        AH, OK ! now we must be very patient...
                        I am very curious to see all the modifications you have made to improve the system!
                        I can't wait ...
                        Thanks again for all the time you spend but I know from your latest scans that it's worth the wait.

Comment

• Thanks for testing the videos Bruce. I added the blocking caps and rerouted the board.
                          Here is the new design Kamel.
                          https://drive.google.com/open?id=11P...og_stQRBG5iGpJ

Wanted to test the USB but ran out of mini connectors. They should be in by the end of the week.
                          Will test the LEDs and that should be it and then switch to production mode.
                          Have a few boards to do and looks like two complete systems, but I can see the interest is growing. My main problem is getting the right quantities of parts in stock. Please add you name to the list and if you want the complete kit, partial kit or a complete unit.
                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...o9Q/edit#gid=0
                          Last edited by Stan Jelavic; January 20, 2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Thank you very much Stan I was too impatient! Thank you for that ... Can I connect pin 2 of the sync connector (to the camera) on 3.3v or 5v? (always not connected on the new shematic)

Comment

• I left it open like that just in case we run into some issues and have to change the circuit. It also allows to run the sync at 3.3V or 5V. I connected a jumper from J32 to J34 and that worked OK (3.3V trigger operation).

Comment

• Better never than late! Or is that the other way round?

Click image for larger version

Name:	16mm 5mp-1_2.5 in .jpg
Views:	497
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	2662Click image for larger version

Name:	16mm 5mp 1_2 in.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2663

Images with both lenses, 5mp 16mm f2.0. One is for 1/2.5" sensor and the other 1/2".
                                Captured with a webcam (2592x1944).
                                The 1/2.5 image is darker, no changes in capture settings. Same position for each lens.

Images captured on a sliding mount. Not mounted in Hawkeye case. So a 2/3" lens would be framed tighter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_48.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	2664

The 1/2.5 has a recessed rear element (3.5) so the length ~15mm and the 1/2" is 16mm. About the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X