No announcement yet.

Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) ... continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like an RCA 16mm sound projector from around 1958, see https://youtu.be/v4H-H0EA-48

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9D50C85F-790C-485B-B5B9-4610BF128338.jpeg
Views:	374
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	32257You can find plenty of great projectors in COLUMBO episodes, but this was the one I happened to see on my current watch last night!

Comment

One of the best examples Lincoln - love Columbo!

That episode is one of 3 to feature Jack Cassidy, father of David.

Comment

Oops, correction - that episode had Robert Culp in it 😉

Comment

Jack Cassidy and Robert Culp were always terrific heavies for the show! Such a shame how Jack Cassidy passed. Just an awful way to go.

Comment

Just watched JET PILOT with John Wayne and former glamour model Janet Leigh.
              Said to be Wayne's worst film we loved it in gorgeous Tecnicolor on blu ray.
              Nice to see john using the projector as well

Name:	20210416_154805.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	32279

Comment

Lincoln - I believe Jack Cassidy fell asleep with a lit cigarette and died in the ensuing fire??

Comment

It's Memorial Day here in these United States.

*M*A*S*H* is a show that went other places than usual when considering the sacrifices made by members of the Armed Forces, not just in combat but in the aftermath, and among the people who serve in non-combat roles.

Small gauge film was pretty common in *M*A*S*H*. The movie nights in the mess tent were a gathering point for the characters and quite a few conflicts came to a head during the Movie. There were a couple of episodes about the struggles to get a certain print and the tensions of having the same bad movie many Saturday nights in a row! (One of these was a captured Chinese film....with Korean subtitles!)

There were also home movies. All of these characters had families back home: we knew their names, where they lived and a lot about what they were like. We were often read letters to and from them. We were also allowed to "meet" them through home movies. Radar's Mom sent over movies from Ottumwa showing herself and Uncle Ed and Ranger, Radar's dog. Mrs. O'Reilly bore a striking (-some might say "disturbing") resemblance to her son!

In another one, BJ Hunnicutt is away from home for his and his wife's first anniversary apart, and he's despondent about it. Hawkeye secretly tape records him talking about what his anniversary would be like if he was home. BJ's wife Peg films to match this narration and the Medical Staff shows BJ the results in Colonel Potter's office so he still gets to celebrate.

-a reminder of all those too far from home, wherever and whenever they may be.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Hawkeye BJ 16mm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	35469

Comment

Steve Klare I know you have been watching old MASH episodes...nice projector spotting!

Comment

Thanks, Janice!

I have a lot of respect for *M*A*S*H*: they succeeded in getting more life out of the series by getting very creative. Most of the time that's not how it goes.

For Memorial Day, one of the cable channels had a *M*A*S*H* marathon. One of the episodes was one where the 4077th has sat through multiple showings of State Fair and it's wearing a little bit thin. Hawkeye and BJ hear tales of kind of an adult movie called "The Moon is Blue" and go to the film office at HQ to make it happen. In a blazing hot summer, they find the only army office in Korea to have air conditioning ("We store film here!"), and talk the guy in charge into sending the film their way first. When it comes, he breaks his word and sends it to a General instead ("That's show-business, baby!"), but the Doctors bribe the clerk in the outer office to switch labels on the two prints before they ship out.

-unfortunately Colonel Potter also intervenes behind the scenes, the cans labeled "The Moon is Blue" are shipped to the 4077th, and they wind up seeing...State Fair...AGAIN!

I found a screen grab from Radar's home movie:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Radars Home Movie.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	35503

Gee! Everyone back home looks swell!

Comment

My favourite still has to be AT THE PHEASANT 1958 IN Bedworth UK now demolished. A private projectionist takes his 9.5mm Specto 500 to the English Inn and projects films as many people are staying home watching tv instead.
                        The film is one of many on the BFI dvd set.

A great addition to your viewing.

Comment

Not a projector, three Pathe Baby films. They has just been seen in the 8 o'clock news on French TV (France 2) during a subject about...an haunted castle.

Name:	IMG_20210605_203021.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	35756

Comment

In the '70s, French tv aired a famous serie : Arsène Lupin. A projector is seen in the episode 3 (Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès*/Arsene Lupin Versus Herlock Sholmes*).
                            *It's not a typo.

Name:	AL 1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	36351

Name:	AL 2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	36352

Name:	AL 3.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	36353 Click image for larger version

Name:	AL 4.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	36354

Comment

Dominique De Bast I don't know what model the projector is...but I love the stand

Comment

I love it, too, Janice 🙂

Comment

Working...
                                X