Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) ... continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the Canadian serie The Murders, saison 1 episode 5

Click image for larger version  Name:	Murders 1.jpg Views:	15 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	38009

Click image for larger version  Name:	Murders 2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	38010
    Last edited by Dominique De Bast; July 10, 2021, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Dominique,

I'm very curious to know what that episode was about!

Comment

Doug, a projectionnist is found dead and there is piece of super 8 film in his pocket. SPOILER : the detectives found out that he abused girls after having drugged them and filmed them in super 8.

Comment

Dominique,

Thank you. I see that this show is available on the Sundance Now streaming service.

Comment

Doug, if you get the chance to see it, I would be intersted in knowing if they use the word "video" as it has been used twice in the French dubbed version. I wonder if that was in the original dialogue. I loved the fact that the detective could use an editor without any explanation ; he deserved the right to become a member of this forum 😁

Comment

Another projector in an Arsène Lupin episode (here, episode 11, saison 2)

Click image for larger version

Name:	AL 2 1.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	38473

Name:	AL 2 5.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	38474

Comment

From the documentary "1968 en super 8". As the title suggests it, this year is reviewed with amateur films (but I suspect standard/regular 8 was included as they showed also the perforations and there were often two, instead of the one that should have appeared at the left side, in the middle).

It's a (2018) programme in three parts but sadly I missed the first part and the half of the second part.

Name:	S8 1.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	38680

Name:	S8 2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	38681

Name:	S8 3.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	38682

Name:	S8 3bis.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	38683
                I took anothe picture of the projector but the result is too dark due to the automatic settings of the phone, I guess.

Name:	S8 4.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	38684 Click image for larger version

Name:	S8 5.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	38685
                This American couple shoot the train transporting the dead body of Robert Kennedy. The man showed were he shot it (with his super 8 camera, but again, due to my phone, the picture I took is not satisfaying enough). The man eventally bought the wagon and restored it.

Comment

Name:	columbo.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	40680

The Columbo TV show in 1973, the projector above appears to be a Bell & Howell 1552, and he caught the criminal using the projectors freeze frame / frame advance feature to disprove the suspects alibi. The projector was a lot clearer on my 65" flat screen tv.

Comment

From the Italian detective serie Il commissario Montalbano (brodcasted on French tv, following Wikipedia, on a shortened version than on Italian tv), episode 2 from the 14th season.

Name:	IMG_20210829_212053.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	41604

Name:	IMG_20210829_212101.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	41605

A man found in his attic super 8 films shot by his father in the '70s. They are all familly films, except six of them : it's always the same subject -a wall- shot each year until the year the father died. The man who found the films wants to know why his father shot that wall each year, it must have been important for him since he was is poor health the last year.

Comment

In the Criminal Minds episode Legacy, the show opens with Jason Gideon watching Charlie Chaplin on 16mm:
                      (Someday, when I'm very, very close to retirement, I'm going to watch films in my office!)
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Criminal Minds Chaplin A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	42340

Click image for larger version  Name:	Criminal Minds Chaplin B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	42341

Aaron Hotchner stops by, sees what he's doing and decides to join him.

Then comes one of the most personally irritating sequences of dialog I've ever encountered on television!

Derek Morgan dips his head in the office door and decides to kibitz:

Derek: What’s up with the rickety projector? Isn’t this stuff available on DVD?

Aaron: Some people like things run through a projector.

Derek: I think I’m gonna let you two old timers do your thing!

(-at least SOMEONE understands us!)

Of course, shortly someone discovers a dead body (or maybe a pile of them...) and the B.A.U. team spends the episode sorting out some twisted human mind and catching the bad guy.

-and the episode ends with EVERYONE sitting enjoying 16mm!
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Criminal Minds Chaplin.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	42342

-after all: Don't you love a happy ending?

Comment

From the Canadian serie The Murdoch Mysteries, season 14, episode 1 (Murdoch And The Tramp)

Name:	IMG_20210912_211231.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	42442
                        This camera/projector appears for a short moment but the interest of this episode is that you can see :

Name:	IMG_20210912_212016.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	42443
                        Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel

Name:	IMG_20210912_212839.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	42444
                        and...

Name:	IMG_20210912_213223.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	42445
                        Buster Keaton.
                        During the episode, Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton make some observations that will inspire them for their future films

Comment

Not in a film, but...

Name:	Pathé timbre.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	46556

Comment

How about a Noris Record L100 (?) featuring throughout the music video for First Aid Kit's Ghost Town

Click image for larger version  Name:	First Aid Kit 06.JPG Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	46578

Click image for larger version  Name:	First Aid Kit 05.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	46575
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	First Aid Kit 04.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	46573​ ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	First Aid Kit 03.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.9 KB ID:	46574
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	First Aid Kit 02.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	46577Click image for larger version  Name:	First Aid Kit 01.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	46576
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	First Aid Kit 00.JPG Views:	0 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	46579

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crowded Projector.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	46586

In the Crowded House video for "Don't Dream It's Over" there is just a hint of 16mm.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Crowded Screen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	46588

-Besides: It's a really great song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20

Comment

STARMAN: I spy an Super 8 Elmo! Click image for larger version

Name:	EDFCF0A5-9184-4A2A-9A42-D5B4F5D7FD97.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	51369

Comment

Working...
                                X