8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 13, 2013 08:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came across this when watching a re-run on TV a few weeks ago...so its a quick snap.

From the popular British TV series "Man About The House" 1973-1976.....thats going back a bit.

Anyone recognize the make of projector?
 -
 -

My guess its a "Bolex SM8" could be wrong though.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 09:30 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about the projector but isn't 'Man About The House' what inspired 'Three's Company' in U.S.?

This looks just like the 'Three's Company' episode 'Home Movies' that is also within this topic!

Nice find Graham!

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 14, 2013 11:45 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right Bill

Three's Company was taken from Man About The House.

Three's Company had an excellent cast and was in itself a very popular TV series out here.

Incidentally actor Brian Murphy "seated in above the photo" is the Patron of the British Film Collectors Convention...BFCC.

Graham.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 11:48 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian Murphy, who played Roper in Man About The House is also a film collector and patron of the British Film Collectors Convention.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice eye work Patrick the guy to the left on voyage unplugged the unit because he did not like what he saw. [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 02:21 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hellsapoppin 1941, also a scene in Ace Ventura WHen Nature Calls

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2013 05:14 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised to se a short scene in my newest feature on 16MM, Meteor, where a (I think) 16MM projector is shown briefly in the background.

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2013 10:03 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good portion of The Majestic revolves around restoring a movie theater. As such you see the projection booth quite a bit. I can't seem to find any decent pics off the internet, though I suppose I could rip the pics off of the DVD I have but I am not that computer savvy.

Of interest though, the projectors appear to be very old centuries with the shutter blades outside in front of the lenses [Eek!] Plus the screen was masked with academy ratio, before the flat and scope ratios were established. On the rewind bench it looks like that have an old pair of neumade hand cranked rewinds.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Majestic is a nice film and a possible 'pointless' answer to the question "the films of Jim Carrey" (UK BBC viewers should know the show 'pointless').
The Majestic is almost a projectionist version of Le retour de Martin Guerre (remade as Sommersby)

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 08, 2013 11:52 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of Brian Murphy, I still have his ST1200, purchased
from Perry's in '91.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
delete

[ March 05, 2015, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 01:17 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, your "smack:" button in response to the "Why don't you guys get a DVD player?", just made my day... One word: PRICELESS LOL!!!

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the very funny scene with Dudley Moore in Foul Play he uses a projector to show a adult film.

-

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 10, 2013 08:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the classic Trog, Joan Crawford shows 16mm footage to convince the authorities that the missing link is a gentle soul.

-

-

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 01, 2013 02:26 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed this projector scene while watching a 1963 episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Richard Basehart plays a former actor turned defense attorney. At the conclusion of a murder trial the prosecuting attorney recognizes Basehart's closing argument as verbatim dialogue from a movie script Basehart starred in 30 years ago. This scene is the judge viewing the movie footage.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 18, 2013 10:21 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched my 16mm copy of Curly Sue (1991) and was reminded of this scene where they snuck into a movie theatre to watch a 3D movie for free [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 21, 2013 07:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A projector shows up in the movie Invincible (2006). Greg Kinnear plays Dick Vermill, coach of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1976. In this scene he's watching football footage just before his family enters the room. Looks like a 16mm ...

-

--------------------
Janice

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 08:19 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "Ordeal by innocence" Miss Marple watches home movies of a murder victim.
It looks like a Siemens projector.

-

-

-

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 27, 2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screen shots Lars and a nice-looking projector too. I'm not familiar with Siemens projectors.

--------------------
Janice

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 07:07 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently saw some projectors on TV.

Auction Hunters: in a recent episode, in their new shop, there is a projector in the background. Looks like an old B&H to me.

-

In Dexter there was a projector in some scenes. I don't know what kind of make that is, or if it's 8mm or super 8. But I don't think it's 16mm.

-

--------------------

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 07:44 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw that episode of Dexter too. Looks like the Bell and Howell 256 reg.8mm projector I have.

Cheers
Terry

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 23, 2013 04:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the titles but it could remind something to someone else, so I try : a film with Jerry Lewis where he is a pilot and a film is projected (the projector is fully automatic), an episode of the Avenger where Miss Peel is traped by someone and the film that is supposed to proove her fault is projected, a film from an Agatha Christie book in which Miss Marple is watching a 16 mm at the begining (a detective film of course, the film breaks at the end but no need to repair it because Miss Marple understood who the murderer was), a scary movie in which there is a projector in a classroom (I know this is less than precise...) and a French film (with Patrick Bruel)in which they watch a 16 mm film, this is the only one for which I have the title : K (it was easy to remember !)

--------------------
Dominique

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 04:31 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This is from "The Brain" Quite a fun film. Impressive to hear both David Niven & Eli Wallach speak foreign.

IMDB

The Brain to view

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 01, 2013 01:08 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In The Conjuring they use a 16 mm projector and a 16 mm camera. In Sinister a writer watch films he found in the attic with a projector.

[ October 01, 2013, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 06:17 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Mirror Crack'd" from 1980 begins with the villagers of St. Mary Mead watching a murder mystery film on 16mm. The film breaks just before the Inspector in the movie reveals the killer.

-

-

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC