8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 06, 2015 09:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After rigorous testing [Roll Eyes] the new "Panasonic" wrap detector [Wink] is working a treat and now installed. Wired to the film side of things around 30 feet away, next to the platter. I can now run 35mm film with the knowledge, that if things go wrong on the platter side "film wrap" the projector motor will now shut down straight away, with no undue strain to the film or the projector.
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 06, 2015 10:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Graham!

It's something that a lot of people don't really appreciate about this hobby: that if you are inclined to do it, you actually get to build things!

-a little creativity is good for the soul!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 07, 2015 05:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done with the 824 repair and nice to hear about watching the old home movies. As years pass they become more precious..

Weather got slightly mean at Blackpool and after a summer morning it turned into monsoon!

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2015 05:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Lee,

It looks like you are getting the leading edge of what bounced a tree limb off my garage last Friday!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 08, 2015 12:22 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today..no school holidays is complete without a visit to the museum with the grandkids,....must watch "Jurassic Park" again [Smile]
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 08, 2015 12:45 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting for the T-Rex to jump onto the floor with a bone in its mouth...like "Night at the Museum" [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 08, 2015 02:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to see the children enjoy themselves.

Braving the monsoon in full weather gear to see MJ...The show was excellent again.
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 08, 2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve and Janice

This is a good topic and its a nice to see what everyone else gets up to [Cool] other than just film [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2015 06:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Lee!

It was his idea, it just agrees with us!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 09, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ocean Holiday Motor Inn, Wildwood, New Jersey

-

We are just arrived for CineSea XII here on the Jersey Shore.

I keep "hearing" people talking about the reasons they love film. One of 'em that kind of stumps me is the "smell of film". For the life of me I can't think of a smell of film that's positive!

Wellllll...

You know how a scent triggers a memory? We arrived here before and got a nose full of Ocean Holiday...

I'm sure for some people it smells like surfing or swimming or sunbathing.

-to me this place "smells like film!"

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 09, 2015 04:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Superb location Steve!

Hope you all have a fantastic time there. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 09, 2015 06:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The smell of film....mmmm.. that must be the vinegar [Big Grin] just kidding...have fun. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 11, 2015 07:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunset on the boardwalk, Wildwood New Jersey

-

Well,

CineSea XII is now flapping on the take-up reel. It was a great one: some new faces, and a lot of the regulars too! -A lot of great films and a lot of great talk and a nice surprise to end the weekend. The Friday Feature was successful and the Saturday night show ran until a record setting 2:00 AM.

This afternoon we had the experience of a lifetime and went over to the Sea Theater to see a 35mm show. This wasn't just seeing a movie either: the projectionist was a CineSea regular and we got the full tour and an open booth door the whole time. I can't do this justice here: it will be fully written up when Claus does his photo essay thread.

We are the last of the crowd in town and had an evening walk and dinner on the boardwalk.

--------------------

John Richard Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2015 06:36 AM      Profile for John Richard Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of the smell of film, heres an interesting artical.

http://blog.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/2015/09/30/the-smell-of-cinema-why-were-bringing-smell-o-vision-back/

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 14, 2015 06:06 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A happy hour photographing Blackpools Comedy Carpet.

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2015 10:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How we complicate things!

Consider for a moment the humble stop sign!

-An octagonal piece of sheet steel, painted red with white letters. You put it on a galvanized steel post with a couple of 1/4" nuts and bolts (bonus for using lock washers...), you plant it in the ground next to an intersection and maybe not think about it for a generation.

-cheap, simple and effective: without a lot of fuss it's likely saved millions of lives!

It's like a knife or a fork: nothing that can ever be complicated or really improved in any way.

untillllll.....

-

Some committee somewhere decided to "upgrade" the stop sign:

"Can we put them on Wifi?!!"
"....no, that's not it, maybe if we made them blink so people would notice them better!"
"Are a lot of people not noticing stop signs?"
"You're not listening: I want to use high intensity LEDs!"
"Oh Yeahhhh! -and we'll make them solar powered for Green Energy!"
"Can't we at least have them on WiFi to monitor the battery?"
"No, but you can bring it up when we redo the fire hydrant next month!"
"Welllll..alllright, I guess...Bluetooth?"
"-No!"

Now we have a stop sign that actually has failure modes, preventative maintenance and a "service life". In the worst case it might even burst into flames someday!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!"
-Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer, Starship Enterprise

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2015 11:51 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
It could be worse:
 -
Seriously though, if it can save one life:
http://resodance.com/mdi/LuminousSigns.pdf
Thankfully, I have never run a stop sign before...but i have run a red light a couple times in my 30+ years, and I am pretty sure it was bright [Smile] Sometimes there is human error.
This kind of thing is what we are force to create these days i guess due to trying to keep drunk drivers awake.
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting how the law of unintended consequences works though: If people expect stop signs to be equipped this way, will the signs without the LEDs become less visible? If a stray hailstone takes out that solar panel will somebody run the stop sign the next night?

I'll say this much: If I lived on a corner lot, I sure wouldn't want this thing pulsating outside my bedroom window all night!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 21, 2015 02:53 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what my morning walk in the park looked like today.

-

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record: as of this morning that stop sign is kaput!

Scotty was right!!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 22, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pictures there folks..

As promised Steve our trip back to Derann and still up for sale. The agent told me its received planning permission to be developed into flats.

We had a good old wander round the building reminiscing as you do and some passers by told us stories about the kit they had purchased from them over the years. Derann were obviously much loved by the locals as well as its international friends. One woman told my wife she now shops at Marks & Spencers so she can see one of the Derann staff who works there. Nice little story...  -

Also my first Super 8 Derann feature film and still mint!
 -

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 22, 2015 09:56 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is such a great thread!

If Janice is going for a walk, then so am I! This is at New York City's oasis of green, Central Park.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 22, 2015 07:49 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug...I visited New York in 2010 with my son. Walking thru Central Park was heavenly...I'll never forget it [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2015 08:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the photo, Lee!

What is that in Proverbs?:

"Do not remove the ancient landmark which your fathers have set."

-I guess this one can't last forever either.

When they closed the place I involuntarily lost something off my bucket list.

If you ever come in the neighborhood again please let us know, Janice! We've been known to meet even outside Wildwood.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 10:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The leaves they are a falling..

-

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC