8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit its been a while since I ran the old Ernemann projector... much easier to put a silver disc in and press play.

Anyway, it was time to run it once again, but this time with a really nice "Carl Zeiss Anamorphic" attached on the front that I had been given.

I spent quite a bit of time setting things up, but once the projector and platter got up and running, everything went into the "wow" [Eek!] factor. It really does show how film can "kick butt" with picture and sound over any home theatre video system, well worth the time setting things up. The 5:1 multi channel sound was amazing, compared with any Blu-ray/DVD fed into the same amp.
 -
 -
The following screen shot is a bit blurry due to the digital camera and screen movement at the time I took the photo...
 -
 -

[Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 23, 2015 06:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Graham! [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 25, 2015 10:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice

Today was stunning, so it was of for a 2 hour bike ride through the local plantation.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 - [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 26, 2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ll ride with you, Graham!

(…virtually!)

For a bunch of years after I got a driver’s license, my bike sat in my parents' garage with flat tires. At about 25 I pumped them up again and discovered why I always liked riding a bike!

I have a 32 mile drive out here to Brookhaven Labs: that’s a lot of gas, and in the long term a lot of tires, oil changes and ultimately cars, so I joined a carpool. The Lab decided to maintain my car-less mobility around our 2,500 Acre campus by assigning me a bike.

Who was I to argue?

The choices were “Mountain Bike” or “Road Bike”. I chose “Mountain” because we are mostly on wooded property and there are some really nice trails. Later on I actually saw the road bikes: mint green with white wall tires and a basket, the kind of a bike that will get you beat up even at a national physics lab! (My bike is BLACK: no chemist or materials scientist dares mess with me!)

I decided to “join” Graham during lunch today. It’s a wonderful Fall day here: the trees have turned and there is a nip in the air. I rode with a sweat shirt and was a little bit cold at first, but was fine a mile or so down the road as my ancient metabolism started to speed up.

-

We do alternate energy work here and have the largest solar farm on the East Coast. I ride down a road that goes right through the middle of it.

-

We have a railroad siding of about a mile in length off the Long Island Railroad mainline. Weather permitting I drop by about once a week to see if there is anything interesting going on over there. (That I would probably is surprising very few here!)

-

I’ve never seen a locomotive since they move freight at night here to avoid messing up commuter service. The railroad is kind of like Santa Claus!

-I show up the next day to see what they’ve left me!

-

These are dwarf pines. This part of Long Island has thousands of acres of them in protected forests. They make for interesting neighbors since they require fire to release their seeds. To local homeowners forest fires are potential disasters, for these trees the lack of them is extinction in progress. The Forest service has to tread the fine line between these two concerns by having regularly planned burns with a lot of precautions.

In 1995, we had a drought and major forest fires out here. Fire departments from four counties battled a big one 24 hours a day for about two weeks before that first rain settled it all in a few hours.

I have not looked out the window on a rainy day the same way since!

-

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 26, 2015 07:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic Steve [Smile]

The previous time for me, was taking my granddaughters 9 yrs olds along. They really enjoyed it and had made a pile of sandwiches to bring along [Smile] Its great to see families out and about on those trails, just about everyone you meet is friendly and will say "hello".

Yesterday I did come across this on the trail. I have know idea what it is meant to be....but it was well done [Cool]
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 29, 2015 03:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has been playing with the candles!

-

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2015 03:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great photos, scenery, and candles! Wow!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 30, 2015 12:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Behold the Brookhaven National Laboratory Standard Issue Road Bike

-

-coaster brakes, white wall tires, basket and little bell! The only thing missing is the cairn terrier in a basket and a tornado on the horizon!

-a bike so completely geeky I bet the seat feels like a wedgie!

This is actually very typical of the rented bikes you see on the boardwalk in Wildwood. I suppose when you are wearing a flowered shirt, sandals and a sun visor, this might seem cool (-especially after a couple of daiquiris), but to ride one every day?!

(And remember: the rental companies just want bikes that nobody wants to steal!)

It must be kind of frustrating when three or four of these are chained up to the rack outside the dining hall and the only difference among them is the combinations of the locks!

-

He would'a chosen the mountain bike!

(Tongue in Cheek Alert!! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] Ride whatever kind of bike you like!)

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 30, 2015 06:52 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halloween warm-up with Texas Chainsaw. Original French release print (1982). Still powerful and disturbing after all these years.
 -

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 31, 2015 09:16 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Northport Harbor on a Sunny Saturday Morning

We've been going up to a little local diner in Northport for breakfast most Saturdays since we were married. Great place: good home style food, nice atmosphere, we know the people there by name and they know us too!

-

Northport is an old shipbuilding village that in modern times is mostly restaurants (-not a great place to be on a diet!) and small shops. There was an old movie house on Main Street that went dark about 15 years ago. It was reopened as a live theater and has been doing very well for quite a while now. It seems there was a theatrical stage behind the screen that very few of us knew was there.

Most of the buildings there are about a hundred years old and even though the trolley stopped running in 1926, the rails are still in the street.

-

In a few weeks the harbor will be empty when people haul their boats out for the winter(-a few hectic days if a major hurricane develops.) During the summer this is a bustling little port with people sailing over from Connecticut and other places around the Long Island Sound, but lately it's become kind of quiet in the way it stays all winter: just home for us locals!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 31, 2015 03:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve those bikes [Big Grin] ..never seen anything quite like it [Smile]

Northport looks really nice.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 31, 2015 03:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

The Real Estate lady was smart:

-she made sure to drive us down Main Street, Northport after we first saw the house! (Wasn't on the way back to the office, either!)

The thing with the bike IS kind of strange. Two options at the same price (as in "none"): 21 speed mountain bike with brakes on both wheels and shock absorbing front suspension VS. single speed, rear coaster brake and rigid steel framed leisure bike.

-you would think for a gaggle of people with degrees in Engineering and the Physical Sciences this would be kind of a no-brainer!

It's so hard for people to look like they are doing serious work with these bikes too:

-you may think you are headed to a meeting on measuring "quantum photon exothermic scattering", but you look like you are headed down to the rec. center to play bingo!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 01, 2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Halloween family outing at our local amusement park yesterday. My daughter was eager to try out the new log flume (yes, the weather was that good)...

-

Since the weather was also excellent today, we took a long stroll by the river near our house (can you believe we are less than 2 miles away from Paris?)

-

Now getting ready to wrap up the Halloween weekend tonight with a screening of R. Rodriguez's "Planet Terror" (on film) when the little one is in bed... [Smile]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 06, 2015 01:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Jean Marc [Big Grin] ...that's one big rabbit [Smile]

Took a photo this week of some of the film stuff I have given to a museum. One Eumig projector and the Star Wars films I once had.
 -

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2015 05:31 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was shot a few weeks ago while I was working in California. I just finished developing and scanning it. Photographed with a Leica III with a 50mm f/3.5 Leitz Elmar lens. The film is Ilford Delta 100 developed in Caffenol. Caffenol is a home made developer that consists of Instant Coffee, Sodium Carbonate (washing Soda), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) and salt. I was working in Calaveras County, just North of Yosemite, so I went there on my day off.

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a really stunning picture Bryan.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 09, 2015 05:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful picture!

Pleased to see one of my construction experiments from a few years ago return home after a loan out to local film maker friend..

'The MK1 Eumig HD film transfer wonder machine'

-

And another quick snap of the sky last evening..
 -

[ November 11, 2015, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 14, 2015 10:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
November 2015 is the 20th anniversary of the release of Toy Story.

I happen to have the Derann feature length print, so I decided to do something about it tonight.

We emailed an announcement out and had some friends over to see it theatrically as possible: trailers, newsreel, cartoon and then feature. We even went old school and did an intermission after the second reel.

-At the snack bar (kitchen counter): soft drinks and nachos with mozzarella!

I invited Steven to get in on the act and he showed his R8 Castle "Three little Bruins in a Canoe" (Which is much, much older than he is!) at the close of the intermission and before reels three and four.

Our audience was amazed at seeing such a modern film on Super-8, and we had a great time.

I was in full Projectionist Mode: normally I'd sit up on the couch. Until I got well into the first reel of the feature and had the second hanging ready on a supply spindle, I didn't even sit down!

My co-projectionist, his Yelco and my two Elmo STs: ready for action!

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 16, 2015 02:12 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's brilliant Steve [Cool]

Not much this week however I did take this photo last week. It should bring back some memories
[Roll Eyes] [Eek!]
 -
Anyone for gas [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitrous Oxide: How the dental industry made us want to go!

Hot Time at the old Lab tonight!

We're taking it in a whole new direction today: from the visible to the infrared to be exact!

We have this vast machine here. It's a half mile circumference stainless steel pipe with an electron beam inside it under high vacuum. There are several hundred electromagnets all the way around to keep the beam inside the pipe and in focus with a power supply for each magnet, and many, many miles of fat copper cabling connecting it all together and a central computerized control system making at all work in harmony. This was as simple as it could possibly be done, but there are a lot of chances for our old friend Murphy to work his Law!

Unfortunately any one of those magnet circuits can take the beam down if it goes dead. When that happens, several hundred scientists who may have come all the way around the world to use the beam and have time reserved at any of 24 hours a day, seven days a week will be left twiddling their scientific thumbs!

(Ever been yelled at by someone working towards a Nobel Prize? They yell just as loud but use much bigger words!)

So how do you stop this? Well...one way is you assign Steve Klare a thermal camera and send him out looking for connections that are in the process of failing.

As the bolts slowly loosen, the resistance goes up, and so does the temperature. Long before something overheats, it starts to run just a little warm.

-That's where I come into the (thermal) picture.

This connection has about 100 Amps flowing in it:

-

Notice how the side going out is gray, but the side coming back is white. This raised a flag that something was coming undone, and sure enough they found the bolts on the return side just barely tight.

A couple of minutes with a torque wrench took us from a potential multi hour failure to a non-issue.

-so we managed to intercede and keep the Scientists going without them ever even realizing there was ever a problem.

Of course if someone gives you a multi-thousand dollar camera to play with you just have to take an infra-red selfie:

-

(I mean, how often does that opportunity come up?)

If anyone thinks I lack personal warmth: here's scientific proof!

(Actually 34.2C is a little on the cool side! I must need a new thermostat!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 17, 2015 06:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ultimate selfie [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 17, 2015 06:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most terrifying photo I have seen in sometime! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2015 09:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, Paul!

-once we torqued the hardware, everything was fine! [Wink]

This camera can also shoot thermal video...

-just imagine what that looks like!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 18, 2015 07:08 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two pictures taken in¨Paris
 -
The sentence in Latin (Fluctuat nec mergitur) is the slogan of the city of Paris and means "Floats and doesn't sink". The sentence in French means : "Paris still standing".
 -
"Fight hate with this thing called love"

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 20, 2015 02:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Job "1"... Stain rear fence.
 -
....done....
Job "2".....Yvonne wanted a "Wishing well" out front with a memorial added to some of her broken owls from the 2011 earthquake.
 -
....done...
Job "3"....insulate spare room entrance..
 -
 -
....done...
Well that's what I have been up to

[Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC