8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 09:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brussels has been under terrorist alert since Saturday. The highest level is reached so there are no metro running, most of the downtown shops are closed, as many malls in the entire city. Events such as music concert have been cancelled, cinema are closed and the schools didn't open today. So far we don't know if this will be repeated tomorrow. The city is under police and army protection.
 -
The famous "Grand Place"
 -
It's not snowing, it's the preparation of the Cristmas market.
 -
Some policemen or soldiers are hidding their face for safety reasons.
 -
The price to pay to try to avoid a bloodbath like in Paris 10 days ago. The French capital is only 1h22 minutes by train from Brussels and several terrorists came from here. One of them is still searched by police.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe pal whatever you do! Stay indoors as much as you possibly can. [Confused]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 04:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your concerns, Andrew, here and on the Star Wars thread. maximal alert level remains for tomorrow so no school ; I will stay at home most of the day (there will be no metro anyway).

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 30, 2015 01:30 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice sky tonight [Cool]
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 06, 2015 05:17 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A surprise trip to the Christmas model rail exhibition. Nice also to bump into some super 8 film makers and talk over the old times...

-

Also our own David Guest's amazing 65 key fairground organ.

-

Took some flowers to the cemetery remembering that great comedy film, stage and radio star Jimmy Clitheroe.

-
Top picture in Manchester, bottom Blackpool

[ December 07, 2015, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 06, 2015 10:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice photographs taken there Lee. Whereabouts were you?

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 07, 2015 03:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprise trip to Embsay Steam Railway to see Santa. Really fun evening.
 -
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 09, 2015 03:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprise trip over to see young Phil at Classic also leaving with some new 8mm films for the archive. Good to see some sunshine after all the flooding here and our man looked well pleased to report.
 -

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2015 04:48 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice picture Lee did you go for a paddle sorry a long walk and a paddle good old Cleethorpes [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
kinema king

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2015 07:01 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee. Nice to know Phil is ok.

Graham S

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 15, 2015 07:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our mobile Christmas cinema is now in full operation and a big building to project in but the young people enjoyed the show as did the adults apparently. To hear the children chuckle to the old 1930's cartoons brings a great deal of joy to your 8mm heart.
Been giving these voluntary shows for years now and reel fun!
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 15, 2015 02:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Lee and a real treat for the young and young at heart!

Must be very rewarding doing these public shows when you get an appreciative audience.

[ December 15, 2015, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 16, 2015 05:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew. [Smile] Things have changed over the years as many will know. You now need a enhanced CRB in hand, pat tested equipment and sorry to say some of the old hands that used to go out giving film shows to youngsters packed in due to all the hassle of paperwork. At the end of the day child protection rules and a good thing measures are in place.
The reward is watching the children enjoy seeing reel film and I usually pass around some short lengths of 35mm film for them to study and take away.

I would love to project a film in Santa's grotto as well.
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 16, 2015 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be cheating just a little, but this is MY day in pictures…about three weeks ago! (Well, at least my delay putting it up made it more seasonal!)

We went to Pennsylvania to spend the Thanksgiving weekend with my sister and her family. My sister is a volunteer at Longwood Gardens and we often go and visit. This is a former estate of one of the DuPonts (…THE DuPonts). Typical of a great many of these estates, it was built during the early part of the last century when it seems there was no limit to the amount of money that could be found and then spent, and it has architecture and gardens that you or I might just have if we had a couple of hundred employees to build and operate them. There is a greenhouse there that has to be easily a hundred acres indoors: all sorts of environments from rain forests to lily ponds to saguaro desert. There are fountains by the dozen and a couple of miles of walking paths through gardens and hedges and ponds.

Of course not many of these places lasted much past the Great Depression: some became schools, others were just bulldozed and the land sold off, this one is preserved by a foundation and open to the public all year long for many events.

The event this time was “A Longwood Christmas”. The volunteers and professional staff decorate the grounds and you can spend a pleasant couple of hours walking around taking in the sights. This year we were fortunate it was just cool: more than a few times it’s flirted with “Arctic” and by the time you finish all you can think about is a hot cup of coffee!

-in the Spring or Fall I'd be happy to be there all day long!

-

-

-

Longwood Gardens

I’d like to take a moment to thank Lee Mannering for starting this thread. It’s the kind of idea that helps people get to know each other better and helps us to become a community, despite the distances and differences we have between us. I hope in five years it’s still on the front page of General Yak and hundreds of pages long!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 18, 2015 03:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Steve [Smile]

Yesterday I spent a wee bit a time checking Connor out, now 6 years old on Zoe "his sisters bike", "hopefully he will get his own soon", with the thought of taking him through the plantation two hour bike track next week... he is keen [Smile] ..so will see. I don't want him running into any trees. I think he is up to it.
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 21, 2015 09:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Young Kids on bikes are really cool to watch. I started my son on training wheels in summertime and he just wasn't getting it. We went all the way through until the snow started and I began to imagine this kid on training wheels in his twenties. (This is what's bad about raising an only child: by the second one you'd at least know what to expect!)

-so we put the bike away and felt glad it was a battle we didn't need to face for a few months. (With any luck, New York State would extend the Junior Driver's license to 6 year olds and we'd forget about the bike!)

-but Spring came anyway and however reluctantly, we saddled up once again.

There came this magical moment somewhere mid May when all of a sudden something undefined clicked and he rode down the street a minute at a time without the training wheels touching pavement. I unbolted them and we rode about 5 miles that afternoon.

It was a day I'll never forget, just like the same day I had when I was six.

A lot of people think what makes a bike stay upright is the wheels acting like gyroscopes. This is true but not the whole truth. What keeps a bike upright is the rider's inner ear telling his brain he's tipping and the rider unconsciously leaning away and putting just a tiny twist into the handlebars to bring the bike back under their center of gravity.

It's one of those things you can teach without understanding, and even understand and still not be able to communicate.

It's something you have to encourage until somehow everything falls into place.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2015 01:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve this was yesterday.
 -
..we were away for almost three hours, with a few stops on the way to chill out, have a drink, and something to eat, from the lunch box and drink bottles I took along....he did a lot of biking, he did really well for a first time. I will see about getting him a better bike, one with gears on it.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 21, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Graham!

What's wild about it is with your sandy soil, pine forests and ocean beaches, you could have told me you took these pictures 10 miles from here and I would not have disputed you for a minute!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 21, 2015 09:52 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my son and I standing in line today to see Star Wars. The Force was with us [Smile] Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 22, 2015 01:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday

I heard this voice..."Nana" what's your password [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 22, 2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to watch young kids these days: computers are as natural to them as a TV was to us. Being that the desktops are full of icons, they don't even have to read to be able to navigate the system.

-my kid was in daycare where they had computers set up on tables maybe a foot and a half off the floor. For the preschoolers they didn't leave the keyboards in place because letters and numbers were still gibberish to them. It was all two handed mousing on the desktop.

Somehow my son discovered this song called "The Underwear Song" on one of the computers and started playing it over and over. He immediately became the toast of the Butterfly Room and a media celebrity among the other little boys until the teacher became fed up, found the file and deleted it.

-after he went into trash and recovered the file...

Janice, there's kind of a debate at the House: we understand the new Star Wars is really good but haven't been following the series. Does it work as a stand-alone or do we have to start borrowing DVDs to study?

I'm prone to complaining I don't really understand the Star Wars timeline, but then again it can't be nearly as convoluted as Star Trek!

"Yes, 'Enterprise' was made after 'The Next Generation", but it is set before The Original Series which was made almost fifty years before 'Star Trek' which is set in the same time with the same characters, but it's an alternate timeline and different actors (except for Spock, who is played simultaneously by two actors including the one from The Original Series), so the stories are the same...but different..."

There....Simple!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 22, 2015 04:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...I think having some knowledge of the original Star Wars especially "A New Hope" will make the movie more meaningful, but it's not necessary. I think it stands pretty much on it's own and will spring-board more good stories for future movies. My son watched all 3 of the original movies (you can totally ignore the prequels) before seeing this movie just to refresh his memory...but I didn't ... and very much enjoyed it anyway.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 22, 2015 07:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
and lets not forget what was meant by "Zoomin" back in the glorious 80's!

And there was me thinking of B/S!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

anyhow, as its nearly Christmas, here is the Uks Brightest Star for this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDrjyZfNBPQ

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 02, 2016 09:11 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every pet store, every department store, even many supermarkets have pet toys.

-jingly, sparkly, noisy junk that usually dies a quick, violent death in the bowels of the vacuum cleaner.

Just think of all the money we could save if we gave them what they really want!

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 04, 2016 01:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that your cat Steve? [Smile] if so what's its name?

Today I was looking through old paper work, and came across my old school leaving reference. I turned 15 yrs on the January and left 2 months later to start work in a Ford Dealership.

All this stuff will be thrown out one day, but surprised so much is still with me after all those years [Smile]
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC