8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 43)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2019 01:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve for that rather excellent analysis of the structural dynamics of a wet cat! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2019 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul,

-next week we will bring in a biochemist to explain the smell of a wet dog!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2019 01:52 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait for that one! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2019 10:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rangeley

We just did a short vacation up on the Maine Coast. While we were there, we went to one of my favorite places: the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum in Alna, Maine. This is a neat place, because 30 years ago right now there was nothing there but a weedy abandoned grade, and today there is a functioning, recreated, narrow gauge, turn of the (twentieth) century, steam powered railroad there, all due to dedicated volunteers.

These are serious historians: they have a company truck there: 1930s Ford model AA! They own two 100+ year old steam locomotives and are building a brand new one from scratch!

They were having their annual picnic and that day had all of their best, most interesting exhibits out.

This is two-foot gauge, something native to Maine, and Wales before it. What this means is: let’s assume you are a fairly decent-sized man. If you stand on their track with your right heel against one railhead and stick your left heel in front of your right toe, the toe of that left foot will be touching the opposite railhead.

Now what kind of train could possibly run on such tiny track? Up in Maine it was pretty decent sized trains that could move along at a pretty decent speed too. A good example always has been the parlor car Rangeley. She was built in 1901 for use on an express passenger train going almost 50 miles north to grand hotels on Rangeley Lake. She was strictly first class: swivel velvet upholstered seats, smoking room for the gentlemen, powder room for the ladies.

-

She has always been considered special, even before she became historic. When the Rangeley Express ended she was semi-retired rather than becoming just another coach in day to day service. When her line was scrapped, she wasn’t de-wheeled and turned into a hunting lodge, a tool shed or chicken coop like so many of these cars. A local doctor bought her and when they tore up the tracks across his land, she stayed on a section they left in their wake and he and his family took care of her until a museum bought her and then stored her indoors for about 50 years.

This is not mint condition, restored like brand new two weeks ago. It is lovingly protected, 118 years old, built by hands a long time stilled! The staterooms on the Titanic are a decade newer, yet in nowhere near the same condition! (... [Wink] ) This is one of the most original condition railroad passenger cars of its era of any gauge.

I have been looking through the windows at it in several different museums for about 40 years now!

-but this time they…let us walk through it!

“No…Really?!”

-

(I rode one of the steam engines once, but that’s a story for some other time!)

-

Have you ever been in some place that’s so special you felt out of place inhaling the air? My son and I were invited to walk through…didn’t sit down,…spoke in kind of hushed tones,…touched absolutely NOTHING, and resisted the urge to bow a little when we left!

It WAS cool!

-

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 10, 2019 01:27 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every year, the biggest flea market in Europe is held on Nothern France, in the city of Lille. This year, it was on Saturday 31 st August and Sunday 1st September.

-

-

It's not obvious on the pictures but there are many streets full of sellers ans, of course of visitors. A belgian forum member told me he (afterwoods) was there but I didn't see him due to the crowd and the large area covered by the event.

-

I saw very little films but a good amount of cine material.

-

-

This a postcard projector.

-

--------------------
Dominique

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 10, 2019 01:45 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

That passenger car is gorgeous.

Dominique,

I cannot believe the size of that flea market!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 10, 2019 01:57 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A real dream fot those who like that kind of things, Doug [Big Grin]

-

-

'70s items. The orange character (seen on thee versions on the picture), Casimir, was very famous among kid (when I was one) on French tv.

-

Biggest French rock star, Johnny Hallyday (not his real name) was well represented through his records. When he died, last year, he had national funerals.

-

-

-

--------------------
Dominique

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 10, 2019 02:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,

I'm a fan of Mr. Hallyday's 2002 film Man on the Train.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 10, 2019 02:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, Doug !

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 10, 2019 05:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

No later than tonight (!) Casimir made an appearance on French tv. The man standing beside him is the creator. French tv in the '70s wanted a French version of a character in the Sesame Street style.

-

Back to Lille's flea market, the last picture : a chips (fries) stand made a pun. They changed a famous (French) film title, "Les totons flingueurs" (The Shooting Uncles) to "Les tontons friteurs" (The "Chips makers" Uncles). Translation is aproximate but you get the idea.

http://fr.film-cine.com/les-tontons-flingueurs-m15539

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 17, 2019 01:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I bit the bullet and attempted to repair my Epson XP-810 printer. I had started getting an error message that the ink waste collection container was reaching the end of it's life cycle. All suggestions were that the repairs would cost as much as a new printer. A new printer would run me about $300 with ink. After some research I found a supplier on Ebay that sold the new OEM waste pad container and another supplier that sold the software to reset the waste pad counter so that I would stop getting the error message. The project was successful...Hooray! After running a couple print head cleaning cycles the printer is running better than ever. Only cost about $35 and a little time.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 17, 2019 02:11 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom,
At first glance I thought that postcard projector was a 3-strip Cinerama camera! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 02:23 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully the only time I had a printer with that trouble it was still covered by an extended guarantee.

[ September 18, 2019, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Brian Fretwell ]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 04:42 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Dominique, there's a Beaulieu 708!

I wonder how much that was?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 21, 2019 02:03 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My kitty Buster has claimed this director's chair in my Cine Room.

-

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 30, 2019 12:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Last weekend we went on our final camping trip of 2019. The days were great, but the nights were more than a little chilly! -a reminder that the seasons are moving on and it’s time to start getting ready for winter.

Did we go everywhere or do everything I was talking about last Spring? -of course we didn’t, but I knew that even when I was talking about it. What we did was great and memorable, besides: a year from now our son will be in college and these times are ones we will need to hold on to.

Just the fact that we didn’t do it all means there is still something to look forward to!

I brought my canoe along with me and spent an hour out on a tidal pond. It was almost like sledding! I fought my way across the pond, uphill against that cool breeze. Turned around and rode the wind back across!

Who knows, maybe this will be one of those unusual winters we take the boats out after it snows. It takes a lot of fortitude (and insulation) to leave a perfectly good, warm house and ride the ice water, but the times I’ve tried have been well worth the effort.

-Let's see next Spring if we actually do it!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 30, 2019 03:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that canoe Steve I was looking for Little Elmer and his brother Bruins [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 30, 2019 05:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost ashamed to say I have become a rabid collector of the series!

I became aware of the Castle Bruins because I was looking for S8 canoeing films. My son collects R8 so I bought a bunch for him.

-wouldn't you know: after that I found out the 16mm prints have sound...

I'm sure most people wouldn't see it this way, but 16mm is the Canoeist's Film Gauge! There is quite a selection you never see on S8!

So far my 16mm collection is distinctly...outdoorsy!

(-No MGM, Warner Bros. or 20th Century Fox so far, but the National Film Board of Canada is doing just fine.)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 30, 2019 10:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film Collector's Plague!

I keep finding these things all over the house!

-

-where I project films and even where I don't!

I even found one out on the front walk once!

So help me, the day I start finding them at Work, I'll consider trying Stamp Collecting!

(They are like Film Dandruff!)

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 10, 2019 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha!

You, me and probably every collector, Steve!

The irritating thing is that I usually find them, in the middle of the night with my bare feet, and i have especially tender feet! [Frown] [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 10, 2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-better than a LEGO!

I miss a lot about my son not being a little kid anymore, but not that!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2019 01:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amphibious Update

Before CineSea 20, I used the possibility of access to a swimming pool as an incentive to do some actual (you know...) "work" on my never-ending Amphibious Jeep Project.

-while I was there I took advantage of the Shalimar's large pool to see how it would do. (seriously: I've canoed in smaller pools!)

-

I liked the plastic Palm Trees: it gave a certain "South Pacific, 1943" feel to my amphibious WWII mission!

The good news as is always was: "it didn't sink". It was a little cool for a swim that day!

I learned a lesson this time: My son was home to attend his Senior Year High School homecoming. -I was on my own. I found tending both shores of this big pool it order to keep the thing from clunking into the concrete pool wall was a little more athletic than I wanted it to be. I'd earlier considered adding another switch to choose either both batteries connected in series (fast) or both in parrallel (slow), but I started to wonder why I need such a complication: just leave it hard-wired "full speed ahead"! Now I know exactly why and I'll make it happen!

Progress since last time?

-Build the basic superstructure of the top deck
-Design the mounting of the top and mid-deck
-Add the hardware to mount both (The hub of the spare tire and the fake capstan up front both conceal screws.)

Next: Trim the deck, build up the windshield, who knows? Maybe some Olive Drab paint! I'll certainly add that switch: a 57 year old man shouldn't be leaping over any diving boards! (I should just get radio controlled models and sit in a chair with a cold beer!)

-

It's an act of faith to sail this thing with a deck on it: for all I knew, any minute it would keel over and go full Andrea Doria on me! (It did do some quality time in the kitchen sink a couple of days earlier,...just for confidence!)

I've gained a new perspective on building this model: 75% of the joy of it is the building, not so much the having (-like a jigsaw puzzle...). I'm in no hurry to finish it, I'm enjoying the challenges of making it too much.

Amphibious II, High and Dry at the Ocean Holiday

Amphibious I, the Maiden Voyage

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 15, 2019 09:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Just finished another 6 hour stint filming for Cinema in Miniature II having lifted many projectors for a few scenes. My back is loving it!

The Leicina Special continues to amaze me as it has for a long time.

[Cool]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 15, 2019 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My back fully sympathizes, Lee!

-then again, my back was foolish enough to start collecting 16mm in its fifty-fifth year!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 13, 2019 03:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Long to Summer!

-

My Friends, we are gathered here today to to bid fond farewell to an old friend: Summer 2019. We anticipated it arriving fondly 6 months ago and we made great plans. Like all our seasons, the plans are never quite matched by the results, but it was still well worth the trip!

In my family, the ceremony is mostly putting away our camper so it can survive winter and begin its 25th season in good shape.

My son and I put it up on the back patio in the shelter of the house. We'd already gone through it and double-checked there was no food left inside (it's spectacular what a winter housing mice can do to one of these!). We left it tipped down so it wouldn't pool rainwater, I bagged the lighting connector to avoid it being immersed in snow for a couple of weeks, we slid the picnic table over the hitch and next weekend we'll put a cover over it all to cut down on the grime we'll need to remove next spring.

We had a great summer. We camped three times including a journey to coastal Maine: loads of campfires with our friends, many pancake breakfasts and more great memories to throw on the pile.

Something you learn as you get up into several dozen repetitions of all this: you never let the coming of Winter get you down...

-there's another Summer right around the bend!

Next: -clean out the fireplace!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC