8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Guy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Guy
Fredrick Crawford
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 03:55 PM      Profile for Fredrick Crawford   Email Fredrick Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I would do a post to intro myself. I am new to this hobby of watching and collecting 8-16mm film. I was once in the music biz as a sound engineer and worked a bit helping my editor friend in TV back in the 70's. Lifelong TV/Movie junkie from the classics to foreign/indie films.

I came to this forum because during my searches for info on 8mm, I kept being directed to forum conversations here. There are a few of you that I reconize because I have seen your pics and read your opinions so much, like Barry from Minnosota who is in love with Bolex 18-5 as I am ;-)

I just started with 8mm and have a Bolex 18-5, B&H 456A, Revere Eight and a few others in mint condition from craigslist and Ebay and always searching garage sales for film and accessories. I have yet to run film through any projector as I want to make sure that everything works well but I am dedicated to getting my first mini feature up and running! So, if you have any suggestions, advice or just random thoughts for me, feel free as I am here to learn. I need some good advice so I don't fall off the cliff too hard while learning to climb...

Thank you,

Fredrick

--------------------
Old guy, New Bolex Paillard collector= More money than brains... Feel free to throw me a life preserver at anytime now!

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 19, 2013 04:51 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FREDRICK!!!!

PATD [Wink]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah same here. Sounds like your on a good start.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 05:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Fredrick!

Well it sounds like you are excited already and you haven't even ran a film through your projectors yet....when you do you'll be hooked! There is lots of great info and folks on the forum to answer just about anything. Judging from your background in engineering and TV you should be right at home with film collecting.

Bill [Smile]

Fredrick Crawford
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Fredrick Crawford   Email Fredrick Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the welcome! I will be asking a lot of questions soon as I start to get my lil horde of equipment sorted out.
I need to learn how to clean these things before I play with them but really looking foreword to it!

--------------------
Old guy, New Bolex Paillard collector= More money than brains... Feel free to throw me a life preserver at anytime now!

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 06:33 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Fredrick. Never feel shy to ask away any questions. There are many many knowledgeable people on this site who love this hobby. [Smile]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2013 01:23 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fredrick,

Welcome to the Forum. For the projector all you'll need is some alcohol and a little mineral oil or "sewing machine" oil. Some projectors are lubed and greased for life however, there are places to clean and maintain in specific ways so that you do not damage parts.

Clean the gate and the rollers, then turn the machine on and see what it does. If nothing turns, clean out the inside as the belts may be worn or turned to goo. You'll wanna clean that out and replace belts, etc.

Once you have a film or two, as Bill said, you will be hooked!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 20, 2013 01:57 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Fredrick!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 20, 2013 05:37 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum and it's a wonderful forum and a wonderful world of REEL movies ...

A nice place to check out : http://www.bfcc.biz/

Loads of info and suppliers

My first film ever, in 1977/78 was Island of Mystery, a Disney 200 foot (7 mins or so) from the feature Swiss Family Robinson. Cheap enough and a good start for an 11 year old. I guess you ain't 11 :-) My fave films is Battlestar Galactica 2x400', Mission Galactica 2x400', Alien 400', Star Wars 400', Empire Strikes Back 400', Twins of Evil 200' (still looking for this) among many others of course.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 20, 2013 06:33 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bienvenue !

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2013 07:16 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome ! Always good to have another Crawford on the forum.

Fredrick Crawford
Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2013 11:44 AM      Profile for Fredrick Crawford   Email Fredrick Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links, advice and welcomes!
I am still learning how to navigate the forums and figue out where everything is, I will in time.

Finding time right now to get my projectors cleaned and ready is tough. I have a bunch of Castle films to start with and my Bolex 18-5 should be coming in the mail Monday. That will get me going for sure!

I do have questions about different projectors, like which is the best model, where to find decent buys and prone problems with certain models to look out for. Is there a section of the forums that is a good place to post questions of this nature? Newbie stuff mostly. I am also in the buying mode and want to add a 16mm sound projector to my 8mm/super8 projector collection so I have all my film interest covered.

Thanks again for any help or direction...

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 23, 2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All different opinions here I believe. Myself, I bought a Eumig Mark-S 710D, had problems with that and is now only for my Regular 8's. I do like the Elmo's, so an Elmo ST-1200 is capable of 1200 feet spools, which is nice. I am waiting for two new projectors myself, another ST-1200 (this time I get the HD MO model, so it's capable of magnectic and optical sound too, as well as a twin track) and my sure to be new "love" a GS-1200 Xenon. Also on my way is a GS-800 (Hey, Christian, forgot me?) and an Elmo ST-180

I also got a Prinz (which is going to a friend of mine) and a Chinon 6100 ... Both okay, but as I said, I love the Elmos

ST-1200's are usually about 200 to 300 dollars I believe and well worth it

Fredrick Crawford
Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Fredrick Crawford   Email Fredrick Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Vidor. Other than the Elmo, the other brands are new to me. Will do some research on these.

I have a chance for a B&H 1592c 16mm that looks good, full featured with sound but I read that the worm gear is a common problem and a $250 fix if bad. I can get this for about $50 in an auction and wonder if that might be a good starter till I can buy something better?

Thanks again

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC