8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best edited 200 footer on 8mm.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best edited 200 footer on 8mm.
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 11:53 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best edited 200 footer you have seen ?

Although I have not seen every one ever released my vote
goes to ...

'THE MUMMY' ... Castle Films.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 11:56 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own many 200'ers.

Are you referring to Super 8 or 8mm?

If it's super 8, the 200' of Jaws that I picked up from Doug at last Cinesea has to be the favorite in my collection

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan... Super 8mm or Standard/Regular 8mm will do fine. [Smile]

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 05, 2017 02:48 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I refer everyone to Tom Stokes' article in the most recent issue of REEL IMAGE #38(Winter), which is part 2 (#37 began the story) - His insight to detail on the horror/monster editions is very noteworthy - Take it from Shorty

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 03:02 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to pick the best 200 digest from a feature but my vote would go to Hellfighters which made an awful movie bearable. Two Laurel and Hardy shorts that were issued by Walton as 200 footers rather than 400s and improved the flow of both films were Hoosegow and Midnight Patrol.

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorites in the 200' format include: "Jaws", and "Flight of the Phoenix". I own the 200' of the latter and it does an excellent job of getting the story across.My copy (bought from Paul Foster) still has very nice color. And I agree with David," The Mummy" is an excellent 200' cut down and was my first sound Super-8 film many,many years ago.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 05, 2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly have never believed there is any point whatsoever in 200ft cut downs other than extended trailer reels or complete short Reels such as WB cartoons etc etc etc.

Just my point of view here of course.

I haven't seen a good one yet and that includes my first ever second hand print of Star Wars back then when it had been released only 12 weeks earlier and had sold every new copy released back then in 1977.

A 400 footer used to have a waiting list!!

A more useful topic to my way of thinking, is all the none cut down 3600ft version , best releases.

I will start the conversation with hello dolly if I have anything other than cyberspace and wall to discuss it with.

Shirley Valentine, eat ur heart out!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 06:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean no offense Andrew, but if you feel this way about 200' & 400' digests, why even bother posting in this thread when you have nothing positive to say? No need to rain on other people's parade.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 05, 2017 06:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree that the 200 footer of 'Jaws' is just awesome - a brilliant editing job and my personal favourate.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 05, 2017 06:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a Diamond Doug so I respectfully say, fair point my friend, just my own personal point of view and respectfully each to their own my friend.

--------------------

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I meant no offense or disrespect Andrew.I very much appreciate your reply. I guess we film collectors should be grateful that in 2017, we're still discussing a hobby that most wrote off as dead decades ago.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 05, 2017 07:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Some may have Done Doug, but we never did!

Come back in 30 years, we still won't have finished discussing our latest buys from 50 years of Super 8mm releases! [Wink]

--------------------

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 07:10 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Andrew! We won't go away easily and we'll stick around to fight the good fight of real (reel) film!

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 12:13 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes to "Tarantula" Castle/U8, it's a little jewell, editing is exceptional.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 08:00 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote would go to The Mummy as well; I was freaked out the first time I ran it because it is cut out of sequence and I thought they had skipped the "coming to life" scene. Other favorites are Bride of Frankenstein , Hurry Hurry (W.C. Fields), and The Invisible Woman .

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 06, 2017 08:21 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree that 'Jaws' (which benefits from above-average running time), 'Tarantula' and 'The Mummy' are hard to beat, but I'd add 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon' which gives a good flavour of the film and even includes one or two sequences not in the 400'. 'The Giant Claw' is also very effective in causing hysterical laughter!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 10:32 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, you are absolutely right about Creature ; it's so much easier to run the short version as opposed to screwing around with those cardboard glasses! The silent version of Strait Jacket was a great 200 footer that we ran endlessly back in the 70's. 30 years later, I finally got the sound version I had been dreaming about since I was 14 years old, and the soundtrack is extremely choppy (as if Joan herself had edited the sound with her axe).

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 06, 2017 10:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with "JAWS" 200ft as well, but the 2X400ft digest is far better personally, (and in the letterboxes format too!).
[Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2017 02:06 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some good choices here folks.

I had forgotten about the 200 footers of TARANTULA and CREATURE FROM BLACK LAGOON. I have these too.

I am a not fan of JAWS but have to agree that it too is a superb
cutdown. In fact I like it better than the feature which I found... ( well I wont go into that )

Looking back over my film collecting life most of the cutdowns on 200 footers were so well done that I was well disappointed when I finally got round to seeing some of the actual full features.

I remember thinking "yuk" all that bloody dialogue and romantic
needless love interest or "comedy" padding to make up the running time why did they even bother ?

That's one reason I did not buy to much full length features on
8mm gauge.
I still like my cutdowns they have a magic all of their own and
sometimes are better than the features.

Very skilled editing to condense a feature down to 200 feet
and still keep the core of the narrative is a great "art" indeed.

A lot cheaper to buy too and worth the money I think.
Add to that some great box / packaging artwork and your sorted.

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 08:02 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, Castle Films.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2017 12:56 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually am for the complete feature.I only buy a digest if the complete film is not available. As I bought each Disney or,MGM musical feature,I put aside the extracts I had bought originally,(plus their boxes,of course). So, my best digest is Columbia's SO,THIS IS AFRICA, the Wheeler and Woolsey comedy classic!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2017 09:40 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with most here. Of the titles mentioned, I would say:

1. Jaws
2. The Mummy
3. A&C Meet Frankenstien

I mostly collected 400 foot digests, but these I did have.

The Disney 200 footers may not qualify, due to being more of an extract. But I would add "The Prince and the Dragon" from Sleeping Beauty. It is more of an edited extract, but does tell the story somewhat, and just a fantastic little 200 footer.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Peter Cushing classic "Twins of Evil" ?

In the very beginning of my film collecting days back in the '70's this was one of the first 200'ers my film collecting pal bought..... black and white, silent! But,boy did it look good! Really creepy exciting stuff! How many times did that axe fly across the white curtain we used as a screen ?

A few years later in the early 80's when I "discovered" Blackpool I found a copy for myself in glorious colour and sound! Still a good watch even by today's standards.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 02:17 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The constraints of a 200ft condensation is just brutal so it takes an exceptional job of editing to make one work. From the limited ones I have owned, I have to agree one of the very best is "The Mummy". I also like "Tora,Tora,Tora" and, for a recent purchase at the Columbus Cinevent, "Badman of Arizona" with Richard Dix does a surprisingly good job.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC