8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What 16mm films did you see today? (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  23  24  25 

Author Topic: What 16mm films did you see today?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 11, 2018 03:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tonight was a film for my Brother,
Bugles in the afternoon.
one of his favourite Westerns, while i only like a handful of good westerns i have to say this one is actually a really good film starring Ray Milland and Hugh Marlow.
I bought this one for jut Ģ60 just before xmas on 2 x 1600ft spools, i wasn't expecting too much due to the age but what a surprise, a quick clean up and check, there were only two splices in the whole film, both 1st class, it has an excellent pin sharpe b/w image and as always excellent sound with hardly a mark on it. Unfortunatly my screenshots are not good and appear to make the print look dupe but it is actually a very good contrast print, the digi camera never really shows my films as they really are up there.
This now means that we can sell on the 4 x 400ft STD 8 version we have had. This one is completely uncut.

A little bit of useless info for you,
During the titles you will notice a blanked out name, this was due to the headhunt of so called communists during this period of time in Hollywood.
Ray Milland Served in the Household Cavalry in the UK. An expert shot, he became a member of his company's rifle team, winning many prestigious competitions, including the Bisley Match in England and was a guard at Buckingham Palace.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ January 15, 2018, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 04:08 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks a very good print Tom; I've seen the film twice on TV and it's very good. I remember Mountain doing a 200ft extract in Super 8, but when I got their catalogue, I think the feature had already been deleted. Thanks for the info on Ray Milland, I didn't know these details.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 11, 2018 04:14 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Robert, it is a good action packed movie and unusual to see Hugh Marlow playing a bad guy. The one we are going to be selling is the 4 x 400ft standard 8 feature in its original mountain boxes.
We bought this 16mm feature in order to own it completely uncut, the std 8 feature is only slightly abridged.

[ January 15, 2018, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Matt Darr
Junior

- posted January 30, 2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Matt Darr   Email Matt Darr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got this in the mail today, didn't realize its a 12" reel! Its massive!
had to order a 12" take up before I can watch it.
Its marked as "National Film Boards of Canada NFBC - The Endless Sea (16mm sound)" Viacom Enterprises

-

Holger Kiebler
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 10:29 PM      Profile for Holger Kiebler   Email Holger Kiebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a further favorit out of my collecting.
Suna no onna/Woman in the Dunes - Japan 1964 - Director: Hiroshi Teshigahara with Eiji Okada and Kyoko Kishida

An entomologist went out to the coast, looking for certain insect species for his research, he plans to write a book about this subject. In the afternoon, he relaxes a bit and misses the last bus back to the city. Residents from a nearby village meet him and offer him a resident in the dunes, were a lovely young woman hosts him. As he went away, he recognized, that he cannīt leave this accomodation in which he resident, because of impassable dunes. Now he was forced to stay there...

I love this movie. This movie runs approximately 147 min , but it never getīs boring. The soundtrack is disturbing and strange, matches very good to that picture. It doesnīt have to be always an exploitation movie:-).

-

-

-

-

-

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2018 12:03 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a film to have on 16mm Holger! I will have to look out for this on 16mm.

Holger Kiebler
Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2018 10:30 AM      Profile for Holger Kiebler   Email Holger Kiebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hallo Jason, approximmately 10 or 12 years ago I found this gem on ebay...Itīs greate to watch tis movie that way.
I hope you will find a print of this movie soon.

Matt Darr
Junior

- posted February 01, 2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Matt Darr   Email Matt Darr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I finally got to see today.
I dont know if you are into these educational films at all? Not very 'sexy' or desirable like a feature film, but great to see my projector running well and with 12" reels! (thanks again Richard)

This is A National Film Board of Canada movie called "The Endless Sea"
Not sure what year I dont know my Roman numberals
The actual film is much better quality than these pictures suggest

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ February 01, 2018, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Matt Darr ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 05, 2018 03:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we viewed the fantastic Dances With Wolves. I would like thank to thank Kevin Clarke for this one, it is a stunning LPP polyester print, this is the flat version but i cant say that bothers me one bit, this film is A1 be it flat or scope. We are over the moon to have this in our humble collection of 16mm movies.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ September 19, 2018, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2018 04:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

I'm delighted to hear you are happy with your films, quite a few I've sold recently have gone to keen genuine collectors such as you and you brother all of whom have let me know how pleased they are - brings us back to the most important part of this hobby which is enjoying watching films on real film.

I'll keep you posted if I have others to sell from your wish list in future.

Kevin

PS: You would get the 'Screenshot Taker Of The Year' award if there was one !

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 06, 2018 06:22 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin, i wish i could get the colours more like what you see on screen and in better focus.
I look forward to your next sales if you should have any [Wink]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flat works very well with a lot of films Tom; you would find it very very difficult to find another copy as good as this.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 07, 2018 01:31 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, while scope is good i am no longer bothered if i obtain a film in the flat format when its on 16mm. The reason is simple, many super 8s that sre sqeezed up to 4:3 the image can often suffer with grain or soft image,(not all), so i thought 16mm would be the same but this and hannie caulder have shown that this isnt the case, even the flat version of Waterloo we had was pin sharp, i only re purchased another copy of that film because ours had fade and the new one is Agfa and scope. So as you say Robert,flat is fine and with 16mm we are more than happy with 4:3,
This particular title is utterly outstanding in its image.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2018 04:50 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you: a print that good is OK flat. Nice catch, Tom, congratulations.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 14, 2018 02:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent colour Tom [Cool]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 14, 2018 03:56 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, im very happy now that i changed my mind about sticking only with super 8. My next feature viewing is going to be the 80s thriller jagged edge but my brother intercepted it before i could unpack it as it is my birthday present from Mum so i now have ro wait till 1st march [Wink]

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2018 03:35 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, you aren't alone in watching educational films, as I do too. Running them takes me back to school days in the fifties on the 16mm projector, and I'm not alone in this apparently.
I remember the class being marched off to the town hall for a showing of 'The rival world', by the Shell film unit about the problems of locusts and other insects in developing countries. The aerial shots of locusts splattering against the plane windshields and the effects of terrible diseases had an incredible impact on us. I managed to get a copy a few months ago.

Holger Kiebler
Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Holger Kiebler   Email Holger Kiebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I projected True Lies with Arni S. ...this is not me favorite movie, but nethertheless, itīs realy entertaing. This is a agfa print - adapted scope.

-

-

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 19, 2018 03:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holger that looks fantastic, to get a 40 minute scope edition of this on 8 would cost around 250/300, id rather have this 16mm feature, great looking print once again. [Wink]

Holger Kiebler
Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2018 09:27 AM      Profile for Holger Kiebler   Email Holger Kiebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tom. Yes, this print is indeed great.
I was suprised, as I projected them the first time, because there was almost no lines and this was a rental print....40 min for 250/300 USD on 8mm isnīt a bargain :-). Is this a Derann print ? Derann released some of these hollywood pictures like Terminator, Aliens, Alien Independence Day....

Matt Darr
Junior

- posted February 22, 2018 10:43 AM      Profile for Matt Darr   Email Matt Darr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont understand how these 'newer' movies exist on 16mm
Are they copies of the workprint or screeners?
Or has someone converted it from VHS or DVD?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 11:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No these prints are genuine. Im not sure what the last 16mm fim was but they certainly went much further in years than 8mm

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 01:11 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard somewhere the last 16mm print released was The Incredibles 2004,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 23, 2018 04:07 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
woww i didn't realise that Mark, i thought they went up to around 2000 so that is great news, [Wink]

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2018 04:46 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last 16mm prints of any titles were 2006, and very limited.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  23  24  25 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC