8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » eBay Oddities (Please post all funny eBay links here!) (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  40  41  42 

Author Topic: eBay Oddities (Please post all funny eBay links here!)
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 04:27 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... free shipping though.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The image of the Hondo frames has black edging and a yellowing look to the soundtrack. So maybe it's not IB Tech, but Kodachrome, although there should be edge markings if that were the case.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2008 04:55 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was having a gentle ruminate - it's not against the law here (yet!) and it occurred to me that the chap with the 'cheapo' B&H may have met someone like many of us. You know, he comes on strong about knowing all about it and the guy tells him $12,500 as a send-up. Mind you - won't we all be sick as the proverbial parrot if he gets his price??

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 25, 2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty certain that this is a 16mm machine.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/old-Vintage-BELL-HOWELL-8mm-Cine-sound-Projector-110v_W0QQitemZ370102485809QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370102485809&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

-Mike

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 25, 2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Yes, the B&H 621 (c1955) runs 16mm, but look! It comes with a brush!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Ebay Seller:

There are many of us who would love to buy your vintage movie equipment, but we don't want to take the risk because of your sloppy descriptions. Therefore, and with all due respect, some things you should know.....

1. If you sell projectors all the time which some of you do, please take a moment and hunt down some film with sound. It's a good idea to test it 100%. Just because the spindles turn without the heavy load of threaded film doesn't mean the belt is tight enough to handle the load when it is. Just because you hear the amplifier click and hiss doesn't mean the head is aligned or good and will play the sound.

2. Projectors are used to show or play "features." And these prints are really expensive and we know your projector won't come with any of these because you don't have any of these anyhow because if you did you'd be testing it properly, right? Thus, please list the things that the projector does as "options." It's a better word and it makes more sense.

3. And besides, anybody interested in buying your projector would already expect and know that the machine should go forward, reverse, rewind, autoload, have a lamphouse, and nice big colorful switches and knobs and other thingamabobs or whatchamacallits.

4. Finally, if you are selling a feature, we expect and assume that you do not have a projector to test the print. How's that for a good guess! So with that said, alot of optical prints were made on Kodak Eastman stock, and are subject to fading. If you don't know, that's where the nice true blues, greens, blacks, purples, and whites, turn pink. It can be also observed as color warming, which turns the colors to a brownish sepiatone, which has nothing to do with the sound, by the way.

5. Also with color fading comes a hideous smell. Somestimes as bad if not worse then the aroma of fresh baked beans with beer hours after having been consumed and partially digested - it';s called vinegar and if you are on a diet you probably eat salad with your meals and yes the odor is the same and whilst it mixes well with iceberg that they served on the Titanic; it does not mix well with acetate or polyester based film prints.

6. So before you go and list your movie product, please make sure you learn about what you are selling. It's not fair to the winning bidder to get a Yugo when they hope they have won a Mercedes. We as bidders of course take that risk, but you as a deadbeat seller are also taking that risk. And don't ask us to ask you questions, because within that product, you should know all the answers, likewise.

Thank you for your time and consideration. [Big Grin]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 27, 2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually sent this seller an email three days ago informing him of his error, but, he still hasn't changed the listing.

-Mike

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 28, 2008 06:00 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, somebody got a relatively inexpensive projector there, provided its in good working order.

Hope the buyer doesn't expect 8mm, though.

-Mike

Erwin Geeraerts
Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Erwin Geeraerts   Author's Homepage   Email Erwin Geeraerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting Biokam camera is for sale on Ebay UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160296534725&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I'm curious how much it will go for.

--------------------
CINEGRAPHICA

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2008 06:55 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the BioKam - wow, wow and wow again! £4211 (if I recall) must have put a smile on Wharton Parfitt's little face. Carol ('Er Indoors) told me to see if I had one!!

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 20, 2008 05:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bit Pricey? especially for a version one machine. Some dealers are living in hope I think or are they just being real rip off artists?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360108536476&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 20, 2008 06:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev

I bought a GS-1200 from this seller. It was described as "Best Condition".

It has already cost me £125 in repairs and there's still a problem with auto-thread.

Buyer Beware!

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 20, 2008 07:08 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,

What would you consider the top price one should pay for a GS?

I'm still toying with the idea.

-Mike

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 20, 2008 08:41 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`d say about £600 for a minter.
Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 20, 2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no such thing as a mint GS-1200.

Take my tip, save your money.

I also have a GS-800. This is a model which I can thoroughly recommend.

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMO id say that a 'mint' GS1200 is one which has never been used ever and is still in its original box and inner wrapping untouched except to inspect. With all accessories un opened in bags. Also kept in room conditions all the time (not the loft/attic or celler/basement).

These do exist and sometimes turn up on Ebay but you will be lucky to find one.

Graham S

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 20, 2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that these are more likely to sell for £600 - £800 depending on condition and version etc.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2008 03:07 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the obvious difference between a version 1 GS and later models?

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2008 03:15 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, if you do a search you will see this has been discussed several times. The most obvious difference is ver 2 and 3 the bottom loop goes back towards the lamp and the loop reformer points the other way. Also in ver 3 machines there are lines on the volume knobs (not dots). Version 1 machines have a bottom loop like on the ST1200.

Graham S

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 11:24 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the most expensive Blu Ray disc ever???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/I-Am-Legend-Will-Smith-Blu-ray_W0QQitemZ170280082872QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL?hash=item170280082872&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C6 5%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 25, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Decimal point placement is so important......Either that or Will Smith pops over and does his commentary live.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or it's made of gold like those old laser discs they were talking about [Razz]

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 10:18 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller says "rare" and rare it is. I can't remember last time I saw such a price on the bog-standard 1.3 Elmo Zoom:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELMO-SUPER-8-ZOOM-LENS-BRIGHT-F-1-3-15-25mm-RARE_W0QQitemZ110315333757QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110315333757&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms =72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

From the writing, you get the impression he's trying to snare people who may think they are getting one of the faster lenses we all like, even though he puts the f-stop right out there. The way he talks about "increased brightness" suggests he's aware of what he's doing.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2008 10:53 AM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The seller says "rare" and rare it is. I can't remember last time I saw such a price on the bog-standard 1.3 Elmo Zoom:

Yeah - I just sent him an email - it looks like he lifted copy off a 1.1 that I bought on ebay about a month ago - I don't remember the exact copy, but it was very similar. It's possible that he doesn't know the difference between a 1.1 and 1.3 . . . or he could just be a scam artist [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 09:49 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a chance to become the worldwide rightsholder and distributor of a cinematic masterpiece for only $30,000:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NUTBAG-MURDER-SET-PIECES-WEB-DOMAIN-NAMES-SEX-SCARY-DVD_W0QQitemZ290277949192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Film?hash=item290277949192&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72% 3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1309

Note the frequent use of "director's cut" and similar phrases so you don't confuse it with the 'edited' version the director objected to....
The tremendous production values, as seen in the stills, should make this a real money maker. As mentioned, the film was "extremely successful in a very limited release." I guess that means all the family members showed up at the rented venue.
But hey, if they can even mention the "Canne" (sic) film festival in connection with this, it has to be good.

There is indeed a sucker born every minute, as Barnum put it, if someone actually lays down cash for this.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  40  41  42 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC