8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » How do people catalog their collection :) ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do people catalog their collection :) ?
Keld Andersen
Junior

- posted March 10, 2016 05:09 AM      Profile for Keld Andersen   Email Keld Andersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how you guys are cataloging your collection [Smile]

I use the clz.com's movie collector software. Not really made for that format, but the rest of my movie collection is in there, so it makes sense to me, to have it all in one place.

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 06:10 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very low tech. I have an index card for each film...with description, film subject info...price when bought, from whom...dates when film was run...etc.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 07:38 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excel spreadsheet keeps my collection up

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Movie Collectorz, as it has fields I can use for reel sizes, location and everything I need. It creates web pages too

Looks like this (not the main menu, but each section under is created with Collectorz)
http://pokeysoft.no/movies/index.html

http://www.collectorz.com/

Cost money though

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 09:10 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At random, 400' and 200' have their places - No order or subject - Same with the other lengths - Gives me a mystery whenever I turn a box down to see the title and exclaim; "Oh, didn't know I had that"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 10, 2016 09:54 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do an Excel spreadsheet and have about 10 years now.

It's actually pretty useful: every so often I get this idea I have nothing to watch.

-this is proof otherwise.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black and white on one shelf, color on another shelf and Eastman/Kodak SP/optical sound Eastman films ... in the fridge, properly stored in bags with silica gel packs, (mind you, not in the freezer, but in a frost free fridge.)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know exactly what I have, I never catalogue anything. Too much like hard work for me. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 01:29 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excel spreadsheet keeps my collection up

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 03:30 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just invested in a DYMO label maker and am going through my collection to put nice kodak white leader on the best prints. But as to an index I don't think I'll ever get too elaborate on that. Just different piles, trailers, shorts, features...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar set up as many (given I am also new to the hobby so it is small)

Separated by format (Super 8, 8mm, 16mm) IOncludes, length, notes on detail, purchase price

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a few folders and put them in whichever folder is for a particular guage,then I had far too many for that idea!
Now I list them on Microsoft word,divide them into alphabets for eg a - d etc. plus one listing of all and search that to see if I have a film or not....it's easy to forget exactly what I own lol.
Each listing contains year,colour or b/w,sound or silent,running time or film length which is always in feet and recently I put the cost to buy it.
And make a few backups on usb drives as to never lose the list!
Seems to work for now [Smile]

I remember years ago I looked for computer programs for this job but they either cost too much or didn't quite do what I wanted.

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 05:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
simple excel spreadsheet, all titles listed A to Z, column one 1 is the title, (Laurel & Hardy's listed as L & H followed by the title so they are all together as is Tom & Jerry cartoons, as is The world in Flames. all other titles are simply listed in alphabetical order, Column 2 states a Y if it has the original box, column 3 denoted the spool size and if on 2 800s etc Column 4 states the date last cleaned, then there are 5 columns for the date last viewed, When there all used up the the first of the viewed column stated the amount of times it's been viewed and so on, i fill the box with colour so at a glance i can see if a film has been viewed this year or last etc.
The final wider column is for comments, for example, scratching to the left right or wherever, faded or fading, or as many of them are, very good colour or b/w print.
I use a separate page for Trailers ads and promo's, the right column on this page denotes what film,if any, they are joined to.
The sheets are updated in seconds every evening and are backed up on several times.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't need to, have a massive collection of 16mm, can lay my hands on anyone print. when storing look where you put it turn away, then look back again and you will remember. try it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 10, 2016 05:22 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will probably "one day" try to make an inventory but so far I have just a two lists (thanks to Graham Newnham's website) : 9,5 sound films in French and 9,5 sound films in English. I ticked the titles I have on the lists (this method is not possible for the other gauges as there have been many different companies and much more titles released). I put a sticker with the title and the gauge of a film (with the extra indication sound when it applies, and for super 8 optical sound when it's not magnetic) on cans (most of my longer films are respooled on larger spools to avoid breaks), while I do nothing else for the films in their original boxes than putting a paper (as I do for the caned films) with the date I Filmguarded them.

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Excel worksheet that is saved to my computer and the cloud.I have two pages : one for equipment and the other for film.

It`s sorted by date purchased. I list the name, film length, standard or scope, optical or magnetic, feature/digest/cutdown, publisher, and cost.

After looking at everyone`s way of cataloging i think I will add last date watched, last date cleaned, fade or no fade, OB, and number of times it`s been viewed.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 11, 2016 02:03 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really surprised to see just what details some people write down about their films. Especially details like how often a film has been viewed and when etc.

All seems very anal to someone like me, I have to say, for a pleasure event.

I have no idea how often or when I last watched a particular film.
Just like a jukebox, if I fancy it one day, I play it.
If I find it needs a clean, then just like a record, I will clean it...
But wouldn't dream of logging the event lol.

Perhaps that's just me though?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 11, 2016 02:22 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a good idea to have some kind of system. I just never got round to recording them onto paper. The system I do use if you could call it that, is to the type of films eg news reels in one place, same goes for Disney 200ft cartoons in one spot, again the same kind of thing for Tom and Jerry and so on.

I have to admit that at present I am loosing track as to what's what [Roll Eyes] around the place. The fun part about that, is sometimes you come across a film and think...I never new I had that [Cool] and screen it [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 12, 2016 02:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Clyde, we dont "need" to have the collection catalogued but for me its just another enjoyable part of the hobby, with over 500 titles in total from trailers to full features its good to see the colour codes at a quick glance. I can see whats not been put through the projector or cleaned at a very quick glance,& in the comments of "clean before next view" or add extra leader, this tells me what may need doing and its also handy if i am looking for a trailer and forgotten which feature i joined it to.(unlikely but sometimes i do look at the list and think "oh yes")

[ March 12, 2016, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2016 01:43 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too I use excel and it is a good directory!

I even create an excel file with all of the comedy films American from the period of silent films with titles originaux.11503 lines with titles, number of coils, years and main actors.

I just burned in DVD.

--------------------
Tony

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 12, 2016 06:44 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use ALLMYMOVIES to catelog my films, DVDs, and movie files. It creates a database connected to IMDB. http://www.bolidesoft.com/allmymovies.html

[ March 13, 2016, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2016 08:12 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never did catalog my films at any given time over the years, my collection has always been small enough to remember everything in my film cabinet...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 13, 2016 11:37 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very out of date Excel spreadsheet.....

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2016 03:22 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it might be nice to make a little catalog for guests to look through in order to decide what they would like to see. But I usually just rattle off a few titles and they will pick something. Maybe one day...

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2016 06:04 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing, I keep meaning to make a list, it would be useful at film fairs to remind me not to buy something twice.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC