8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » What 9.5mm films have you watched this week? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: What 9.5mm films have you watched this week?
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 05:20 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched for the first time Upsetting Bluto's Applecart, just got it off ebay recently,60ft, Bluto is mean to his horse so Popeye steps in to teach him a lesson.Great b&w picture definition with no splices or hardly any lines.It ran perfectly considering it was made about 70 years ago.... [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 10, 2012 03:06 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton your mention of Popeye inspired me to watch Dizzy Divers T/9509 which is my favourite Popeye gem as we see him looking for sunken treasure, but not without a battle from Bluto. Sadly it’s a fine example how bad Pathescope sound tracks could be with virtually non existent sound present. The children find this cartoon absolutely fascinating and it is one I always include if giving 9-5 shows out and about.

This was closely followed by Secret of the Lock T/9002 a fine 6 reeler in which Seymour Hicks tries to prove the Lock Ness monster is still about. We just love Seymour and interesting to note much of this was filmed at Ealing Studios as well.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this kind of fits...i am teaching a graduate class on archiving and tonight we talked about collections/collectors and I showed Lights Out and the Stars Appear and then told them the archival field could learn a lot from the nine-fivers..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 03:45 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finished repairing my 200ft b/w silent The Adventures Of Popeye, bought it off ebay and it had sproket hole tears in about 5 places, so had to cutout those sections - a shame but at least it means it can be screened again. It was clever in the way it used live action with animated Popeye segments.This is my first Popeye 9.5 that is longer than 30 or 60ft.
Great stuff [Smile]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 05:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Popeye that Clinton [Smile]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2012 12:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I finally put one of my Bolex DA's back together (I now have only 1 working out of 3 because of cracked nylon gears)but it was one that i haven't modified the lighting yet, so I think I'll fix that before I watch another film since the original light is a bit dimmer than I have grown used to...BUT it was still bright enough to enjoy SPEED THE SWEDE (Pathescope S583 1 x 300ft notched) a funny Paul Parrot comedy

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 12:33 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK brightened up the lamp on the Bolex. What's the best notched film to watch on a notched projector? A notched film about the first notched projector....Plus I bet this isn't one you see very often in the UK. It is called SELLING PATHEX (1925, 2 x 60ft Pathex X-1)and it has some great close up shots of the baby...

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 02:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched some really nice colour home movies on 9-5 filmed at one of our finest seaside resorts. Watching these 1950's home movies on a large screen and in vibrant colour makes for a nostalgic trip down memory lane with the original film maker carrying out some nice filming, editing and with hand made titles. This is a film you could easily do a then and now remake to showing the contrasts of passing time. We used the Pathescope gem again with seems to have enjoyed its TLC refurbishment.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 08:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah the wonders of a 9-5 show.
‘Betty Boop and Grampy’
‘It’s You I want’ 1936
Seymour Hicks in this British Lion silly little bit of fun and as we are making ready for the screening ‘Scrooge’ seemed an ideal flick to pop on.
Followed by ‘All stand for the Queen’ and we did!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 12:11 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I've seen Superman, Star Wars and Island of Mystery (my absolute first ever Super 8 movie)

Probably do The Empire Strikes Back now ... Good feel, but darn difficult to take any pictures of

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 24, 2012 04:24 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar. Had no idea Star Wars made it onto 9-5 [Eek!]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2012 04:21 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
60ft 10131 NEGRITINA'S WELFARE CENTRE Comedy B/W Notched 01/06/24 US

Children operating a welfare centre looking after sick children, plus a villian is trying to steal things.These films are great to watch especially as it shows what they would put on film without worrying about being P.C.Pure entertainment for then and now.

Had to do one join where the frame was burnt and the film broke,and another frame did have a burn hole but it run thru that part fine, I guess it will break one day but I will wait for that rather than losing a few frames now.Must've been screened on a non-notched projector and someone stopped the film to read the captions, I also don't have a projector that stops at the notched titles.But I can read the first few words to get the idea of what is happening.

Overall another great addition to my 9.5mm collection [Smile]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 04, 2012 04:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched Lights out on 8 for the 500th time. Shame the 9-5 sound prints never came to fruition although a couple of test prints were struck way back when…
Also a few 9-5 home movies which I’m in the middle of filming extra shots for.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 04, 2012 01:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,
What film guage was Lights Out and The Stars Appear filmed on? My guess would be super 8 sound because of the lip-sync sections.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 05, 2012 05:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul. It was filmed on 16mm by a very good team of film makers with a very small number of 16mm sound copies also being made. I’m guessing they used a Uher reel to reel recorder for the live sound which would have been the form at the time. A couple of 9-5 sound test prints were also struck but they were not happy with the quality so no further prints were made on 9-5 sound. The super 8 prints were made available cut 400ft length and complete 2X400 (fits on a 600ft spool). Now then, the early 8mm B&W prints were on acetate and not that sharp. Latterly prints were made on polyester as well which I understand Derann produced although not confirmed. Since the 1980’s it was intended a video update to the 16mm film would be made and much filming has been done for 20+ years, but sadly there seems to be no movement to get it edited which is a bit weird. I got asked if I would edit it at one point but with such a mound of tapes and no script it’ll probably take six month to just sift the tapes. It is doable though and it would be wonderful to see the group have a big push to get it out and fly that 9-5 flag nice and high.

Carry on 9-5 ing.. [Smile]

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2013 08:02 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just projected the "Our Gang" title,"Sundown Limited" on my Pathescope "Ace" projector. Print quality good and the Ace seems to be working well.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent many happy hours back in the fifties with my Pathe 'Ace', later with the motor added. It introduced me to Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, Popeye, as well as feature films, some of which I have found since on DVD. The print quality, I remember, was excellent on most subjects, unlike some of the subsequent DVD copies.
Incidentally, one of the films was 'Master of the World' SB/887, a silent title, which I have recently hunted down on DVD from a German site. Unfortunately, though it has the advantage of sound, it's German without subtitles.

[ January 20, 2013, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Allan Broadfield ]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2013 05:26 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felix plays romeow,200ft silent.Bought it on ebay for only £6 plus p&p. Great condition,no splices or damaged film,obviously looked after.Bargain price and maybe the best quality 9.5mm film i own to date [Smile] .Felix the cat has to fight off competition to woo a girl which he does.A fun little film.Very basic animation that works really well and highly entertaining.

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2013 06:09 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first 300ft Charlie Chaplin - Rolling Around from The Rink mid 1910's,Charlie likes a lady at the rollerskate rink who is being annoyed but a man,later at a ball he is shown to be married..Lots of visual comedy that Charlie Chaplin is great at! A great watch and the actual film quality is good for its age [Smile]

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2013 06:12 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first 300ft Charlie Chaplin - Rolling Around from The Rink mid 1910's,Charlie likes a lady at the rollerskate rink who is being annoyed but a man,later at a ball he is shown to be married..Lots of visual comedy that Charlie Chaplin is great at! A great watch and the actual film quality is good for its age [Smile]

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2013 10:15 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did the Sherlock Holmes Society sell off their films; a year or two back I came across an auction for a 35mm film (an early British talkie)that belonged to the Society; I think the price realised was about £70, which was peanuts for an irreplaceable item. I have a 16mm print (Canadian Broadcasting Corp), of the pilot episode of the Holmes series starring Ronald Howard.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2013 10:18 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why they sold them off, but I got three 16mm Arthur Wontner S Holmes films from the sale.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 30, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched three 30 metres reels I shooted before going on holiday. They waited for me in my mailbox. Two were shooted at Waterloo in June when there was a parade with soldiers in costume and a little reconstitution of an amputation in the soldiers camp. There will be nothing in Waterloo next year as they are preparing the big 2015 festivities for the 200 years of the famous battle. The third reel was sooted in Brussels begining of July. There was a (little) middle age village and, as every year, a parade with people in costume. My films were not perfect but I was happy to see them.

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2013 12:35 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
slowly getting myself back into finding time to watch some films again. Over the weekend I found some time to break out the Bolex DA for a notched film and watch
DANCING DAYS (1926, Pathescope S 631 notched 300ft) This was an interesting comedy drama that features an ending that no one will see coming...For a Schulberg indie starring Helene Chadwick and Forrest Stanley, I was pleasantly surprised, and it is one of the rare pathescope releases that retained its original title.

-

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 16, 2013 08:50 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know too much about this, so I ask ... What's a notched film?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC